2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Buy Offer On My Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 PM
dgs
Crazy Buy Offer On My Fit!

So I stopped off at the supermarket before going home tonight to pick up a few things. It's a supermarket in a very wealthy area of Dallas (the Tom Thumb on NW highway right next to the huge Barnes and Noble bookstore). I come out of the supermarket to see some fairly well dressed older guy peeking in my car window. I get up to my car and the guy says "this is your car?" I told him it was, and he told me his 18 year old daughter is in love with the new Honda Fit, the only problem is all she will drive is a manual transmission car (that's what she learned on, I can't believe it because hardly anyone drives a manual transmission in this country any more) and she wants the navigation system option. Plus her favorite color is white (definitely a chick color I hate to say it). I told him the nav and manual combo is rare and now Honda is not making that combo any longer. He knew because he had a Honda dealership search in a six state radius and they couldn't find one.

So he asked me what I paid for it and I told him new, the car was $17,500 but that I added about $1,500 in accessories to it which I showed him. Get this, the guy offered me $19,000 on the spot!!! I only owe $16,000 on it (put $2,000 down) so I could sell it and make my $2,000 back, plus $1,000 for my trouble. I told him I needed to think about so he gave me his card (he's a CPA and an Attorney with his own practice!) and told me no problem. I then watched him drive off in a gorgeous Mercedes Benz CLS class AMG model. It was black with dark tinted windows and beautiful rims. That explained why he flippantly offered me $1,500 over sticker, chump change for him.

I don't know, I love my car and was not thinking about selling it. I'm still blown away a girl who could probably drive anything she wanted is that hot for a Honda Fit? Makes no sense to me. Who knows, maybe her dad gave her a $20K budget for a new car because she's spoiled, but not spoiled rotten.

What would you guys do?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Well since you know you can't replace it would you be fine with a manual non nav? If yes then go for it. With the extra 1k you could probably buy a pretty decent stereo Nav combo.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
meet the dad and get the girl lol

Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by jinjinweiwei
meet the dad and get the girl lol
Sell the car, meet the girl. Get another car.

Rinse and repeat.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
i would sell

Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Unless you are in love with the built in factory nav system I would go for it. I prefer stand alone systems myself.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:21 AM
i love college
sell that ish.

/thread.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
How old are you and do you have a gf? If you don't and are close to her age, sell the car become her bf and you get the best of both worlds. You will still get to drive your Fit and also get another one on top of it or a completely different car.

I would easily sell it as I could care less for factory audio or navi. In fact I ordered my Fit here with zero audio inside as I will add my own.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
he seems to really want the car.

and you really want the car.

i think it's time to find out how much he really wants it.

if he offered 19K, he's probably willing to go higher.

say you'll sell it to him for $20,000... assuming you're will to say bye bye to the car.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spin out

say you'll sell it to him for $20,000... assuming you're will to say bye bye to the car.
I agree - ask for $20K and get a new FIT with custom DVD+NAV+10000 amp/sub...etc

Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
i'd do it. haha

Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by spin out

Ditto. See how far he is willing to go to please his daughter. Show the car to her before you negotiate, if possible.
It's small change to him as long as you don't make him FEEL screwed-over. Provide a good customer experience and you can get a guy to pay way too much for something that other people think he should want. I.e.--his AMG. Just a guess--but probably more image-oreinted than enthusiast, but I'm biased--and I own it.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
oh wow id sell it in a heart beat. you can always buy a GD

Old 01-15-2010, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
sell it!

thats a once in a lifetime offer. seriously!

what a lucky girl(i hope shes cute)

Old 01-15-2010, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DreaMv
oh wow id sell it in a heart beat. you can always buy a GD

OP:
Seriously though, Schadenfreude is right. Aftermarket navigation is better. Sell the car, maybe for a square $20,000 if the dad is willing...but hey $19,000 ain't bad either.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:23 AM
I agree with many.. show her the car, she'll go nuts, and then leave and say u need to sleep on it.. next day call him saying you're so in love with your car, that u can only sell for 20k.. if he doesn't call within 2 days call back and get the 19k.. I agree with what everyone is saying bout the navigation...you'll never get an offer like this again.. I'd jump on it.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SELL SELL SELL!!! (this should have been a poll LOL)

if you are so in love with the stock nav, im switching out my nav unit soon (BSP AT/NAV) n ill sell you mine, you just need to get a new dash...not that hard

Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 AM
call the guy back and let him bring his daughter to check it out. then she'll fall in love with your car and then you tell them that you're not so sure if you want to get rid of it anymore. hopefully the daughter will beg her dad to offer you more money than you expected. then order a new one, and you're ahead of the game and put the extra money into mods or car payments.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Sell the car... Don't screw with the guy and the price.. he's offering more than 10% over the value of the car and trying to please his daughter but, he could turn at any time and might find another at any moment. SELL! henBuy a new one or hunt around for a used and replace the stereo, wheels, etc...

~SB

Old 01-15-2010, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Sell. It's a generous offer. The Fit is a great car but it still depreciates when it comes off the lot—just like most any other car. He wants the car and has the money to pay more than what it's worth on the open market to get what he/daughter wants.

But don't let him change the terms on you. You know what I mean, "Oh, I didn't notice this or that before so now the offer is $19K." If he pulls that, tell him the price just went up to $20K and walk out. Then his daughter will start crying and you'll have him over a barrel. LOL.

Just remember, it's not a deal until you have the cash in your hand and he has keys and title in his.

PS. No way white is a chick color.

Quick Reply: Crazy Buy Offer On My Fit!