2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

LHD / USDM Climate control conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Any updates on the project connor? Really want to see this swap!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Nothing huge at the moment, I'm trying to narrow down the oem wire harnesses i need for the climate control unit. I'm also checking out the ge6 and ge8 service manuals to see if I've missed anything. Wiring this and pining this out into our cars will definitely be the trickiest part!

All looks good though, I'm really looking hard for any incompatibilities.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 AM
This will not be a easy conversion, our oem climates are cable actuated manual levers, the digital ones are servo Hvac actuated, this means youll need in addition to the climate control the actuating servos, and the climate control computer and whatever else that's different like the wire harness. It might be worth the trouble for someone but def not me.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
It definitely won't be easy, but it'll be doable and easier than some of the other mods I've done.

Check out my last post from the previous page, I've already figured out the mechanical/sensor side of this. That part is relatively easy, as the servo mounts are partially existent in our ge8s already. they arent all there, but rheres enough there to have the servos positioned properly and supported by my own fabricated mounts(3m tape most likely). sensors fit into preexisting areas as well. Also, the mechanical movement of the levers and all that is the the same between both the auto and manual versions. One just has a servo motor mounted directly onto the levers, while the other has a cable pulley.

Now I'm working on figuring out the electrical/wiring side of this. The service manual circuit diagrams so far for the manual vs auto climate versions appear to be similar enough that the climate control unit computer can be "swapped" in for the manual controls.

That said, it's quite obvious at this point that I'll have to either splice into the existing wires or somehow "plug" the existing wires into the climate control harness. Now THAT will be the tricky part, but not too bad once I've figured out where everything needs to go.

Last edited by connor55; 03-25-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Looking forward to your project! Something I would really LOVE to do to the Fit.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 PM
YOU CAN DO IT! thats all i can say, i completely supporting this mod! all the best Connor with your swap.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! im really excited and a tiny bit scared to be the first guy to do this. Im trying to be as thorough as i can with every aspect of this... dont want to mess it up.

I would say im at least 90% ready to order the parts, its all about triple checking the wiring diagrams and waiting for gold-civic's pictures of the aspirator before i pull the trigger.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Good luck with all this. Takes a lot of guts to be a pioneer.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM
I get my car back on saturday and then i try to get pics from it.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Damn these wire harnesses are tough to track down. The only thing I can think of doing is to contact a dealership overseas to get the part numbers.

Another option would be to have them taken out of this junked Honda jazz.
2009 HONDA JAZZ (I-VTEC EX) I-VTEC EX Petrol Hatchback (5 Doors) Blue Manual - breaking vehicle for used and spare parts at MotorHog

Even though its RHD, the harness will work because the schematics and componentsare the same for RHD and LHD. I'm not 100% sure that would allow me to find the part number though.

Last edited by connor55; 03-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Here are diagrams for the manual vs auto circuit diagrams showing that the unit can definitely be swapped in. the last pdf is a pinout of the 36pin connector that connects the climate control unit to everything.

diagram - PDF

diagram1 - PDF

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/acc-2 youll need to download and zoom into this one, its big

pinout - PDF

I have several leads in progress for trying to find the wire harness info... It's only a matter time before I have the complete parts list and make my order.

Last edited by connor55; 04-02-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Nice work Connor! What is your parts tally?

The oem jdm proces are what killed my skyroof project, it was over $2k. You are fortunate the us hybrids have these parts! I would try looking for a junked us hybrid.

Last edited by Gaujo; 04-04-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gaujo
Nice work Connor! What is your parts tally?

The oem jdm proces are what killed my skyroof project, it was over $2k. You are fortunate the us hybrids have these parts! I would try looking for a junked us hybrid.
Thank you! There's a lot of things to think about here. The us nor Canada has the hybrid. BUT.. There might be a chance I can make this project a lot more affordable. I might be able to take this Honda Jazz climate control unit, AC heater control, Klimabedienteil | eBay

And convert it to a left hand drive unit. considering that the LHD unit costs about 1300 dollars, paying 60-80 dollars would make it far more affordable. I am also considering soldering directly to the board, to avoid having to pay 200-600 dollars on a wire harness. This should make the project a lot more work, but WAY more affordable.

to clarify:

If i were to purchase all required parts brand new, i would ballpark the cost at around 2500 dollars for everything you need. now, a brand new harness is at least 800 dollars. if we can find a scrap harness for cheap we can easily cut off 600 dollars from that price tag. solder directly to pins and boards, and the wiring part should only be 30 bucks to buy the materials.

now the lionshare of the cost if the acc unit itself. i am working with some very knowledgeable people to figure out a way of converting that RHD unit above to a LHD unit. it could very well be possible, there are a handful of things to figure out at the moment. i will keep you guys updated.

the remaining components should be around 500 dollars, so again its about being clever with how we go about getting our parts. we can really make this a "feasible" upgrade.

Im happy to do all the grunt work of figuring this out, i will post a DIY once ive finished it.

Last edited by connor55; 04-04-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
I saw one similarly priced last year that got me thinking about this. For $100 you gotta try. U can resell it on ebay if all else fails

Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by connor55
Thank you! There's a lot of things to think about here. The us nor Canada has the hybrid. BUT.. There might be a chance I can make this project a lot more affordable. I might be able to take this Honda Jazz climate control unit, AC heater control, Klimabedienteil | eBay
how do you will convert it to lhd?
if the seller will not ship to canada, let me know.
i can help you.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your offer! I'm still not sure it can be converted, so I'll let you know what we decide to do. We are thinking of tucking the computer away somewhere else, and putting the buttons and screen into the LHD dashboard garnish. We would have to solder wires from the board of the computer to the pins on the back of the screen and buttons. Would be challenging, but worth the price reduction.

Again, were still trying to figure out if it'll actually be possible to do that. The screen is soldered right to the board, but the buttons are removable. We'll see..

Name:  image-1_zpsf008b28f.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  image-1_zpsd706edb9.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  image-1_zpsfb43308c.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  70.6 KB

Last edited by connor55; 04-05-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:58 AM
So you want to convert it to your US console or to EDM/JDM console with the amber lights?

If you want to convert it to your US console, i think it would be a problem with this lower 4 Buttons.
Our normal control has only 3 button, so the hole is not big enough and i think also that it will not fit in the hole where your push pull cable is mounted.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gold-civic
So you want to convert it to your US console or to EDM/JDM console with the amber lights?

If you want to convert it to your US console, i think it would be a problem with this lower 4 Buttons.
Our normal control has only 3 button, so the hole is not big enough and i think also that it will not fit in the hole where your push pull cable is mounted.
Yeah, I knew it wouldn't fit the US one unfortunately.

We can buy the LHD garnish separately for pretty cheap new. The computer is the expensive part. since the computer on the LHD and RHD is the same(electronically speaking, but differently shaped board), I was thinking of buying this cheap one on eBay, take the buttons and screen off, fit it to the LHD garnish, and run wires to the RHD computer. The computer can be mounted away somewhere, it doesn't have to be right behind the buttons.

There's no reason this shouldn't work in theory, it just might be some tricky soldering. It would be worth it to save over 1000 dollars though.

As for the display colour, I found a jazz hybrid junk on eBay in RHD. I can get wires and sensors from it too for cheap.

Update** found my first LHD jazz in a junkyard!! They've been contacted... Should be able to solder in the blue display from the hybrid jazz.

http://www.autopurkaamot.com/naytaos...u=20,,,&sivu=2

Last edited by connor55; 04-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Found it!!! Cant wait to receive it!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Omg yes!!!

Quick Reply: LHD / USDM Climate control conversion?