2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Window rattle?

I was just curious if anyone has had any window rattle problems with their fit? I seem to always get a pretty bad rattle on both driver and passenger windows when they are down a little bit (not quite half way down) yet now I am getting a rattle on my passenger side window even when it's up!

So I just thought I would see if anyone else is having this issue

Old 01-29-2010, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mezzozero
I was just curious if anyone has had any window rattle problems with their fit? I seem to always get a pretty bad rattle on both driver and passenger windows when they are down a little bit (not quite half way down) yet now I am getting a rattle on my passenger side window even when it's up!

So I just thought I would see if anyone else is having this issue

i was really beginning to feel lonely. i've moaned about this in multiple threads and no one else has said they had the same problem.

it happens in my driver's side window... right near my ear. yay.

in my case (and probably yours), it is not actually the window. it's happening 1/4 inch away from the window. it's the rubber weather seal on the frame of the car. the door comes into contact with it when the door is closed.

if you press your finger between the door and the rubber seal, the rattle stops (it's a very specific spot on the seal for me.. it's not the entire seal). i have stuffed pipe cleaners in and around the rubber strip. it's hollow so you can actually stuff pipe cleaners in it... that has helped a little. at first i thought it helped a lot... but no, it came back probably because of low temps. the colder it is, the more it rattles. ive also noticed on windy days, the rattle is worse.

visual inspection doesnt indicate why it rattles. it looks identical on the passenger side, but only rattles on the driver's side. i dont believe the door is vibrating more than normal and causing the weather seal to rattle.

whatever is causing it, it's extremely annoying.

Last edited by spin out; 01-29-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
this is advice i got from rhyneba (he works in a honda service dept)

Originally Posted by rhyneba
First, make sure it IS the door seal.

Spray a bit of silicone on a shop rag and wipe the metal side where the seal mates and drive the car. If the noise is gone, you've discovered the short-term and cheap solution.

If the noise is gone and you don't ever want to mess with it again, there was a bulletin service news about it for Accords with a procedure that involves teflon 3m tape application and shin-etsu (not sure on the spelling) grease application inside the weatherstrip with long pipe cleaners. Seriously. We did it on my Accord and the noise went away, it irritated it me horribly. Every tiny quiver of the car made them tick.

If you have a good service advisor or service manager at the dealer ask them to search ISIS for a 2003-2007 accord noise Service News article and see if they'll try it to cure your issue.
the silicone treatment didnt help.
i have not brought it to a dealer because when i called honda, they said i'd have to leave it there for the day, which would be a royal pain... and i have no confidence they'd fix it.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Was just at the dealer for 1st oil change and asked them about my rattling windows. They said they're supposed to rattle. "If the glass couldn't flex your windows would break when you shut the doors" said the service manager. Going to try the fix on this thread...thanks.