2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Warranty question

Old 02-13-2010, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Warranty question

Yo, im new to fit freak and i have a question.

i have a 09 fit sport and i just put a D2 RS Coilover System on that bitch. whats that do to my warranty? did i just fuck myself outta a warranty?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
We speak English in this forum, not ghetto. And yeah, as far as any suspension problems that may creep up, the dealer won't even look at your car as part of the warranty.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 PM
so, I am putting springs on soon. the only part of warranty that will be affected is my suspension? I know, i can call Honda and find out, but i would rather ask around first.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:37 PM
They would have to show that a modification you made was the cause of a specific failure. They can't deny warranty coverage just because of the presence of aftermarket parts on your bitch.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:31 PM
It will not void the entire warranty, however if you bring it in for a suspension related concern, they will not warranty it since it has aftermarket suspension parts. Honda does not warranty parts other than their own.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Welcome.

As the other posters have said, any suspension parts would be subject to challenge at the dealer level. The dealer is the gateway between you and Honda, warranty work is subject greatly to dealer discretion. Bear in mind that if a car comes in with suspension mods and an exhaust the whole car will be checked more closely for abuse and therefore rejection for warranty coverage. For example if I found coil-overs and an ABS light was on I would automatically approach it as a NON-warranty repair until we could determine no fault on the part of the owner.

Remember, guys, warranty pays the shop very little and is tracked by Honda on the basis of how much they do on a per-VIN average. The dealer should cover defects but not issues caused by modification, abuse or physical damage. Fair is fair, after all. I appreciate those who do not demonize the dealers, not all of them are bad.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
They would have to show that a modification you made was the cause of a specific failure. They can't deny warranty coverage just because of the presence of aftermarket parts on your bitch.
Upmodded++

Old 02-13-2010, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
Welcome.

As the other posters have said, any suspension parts would be subject to challenge at the dealer level. The dealer is the gateway between you and Honda, warranty work is subject greatly to dealer discretion. Bear in mind that if a car comes in with suspension mods and an exhaust the whole car will be checked more closely for abuse and therefore rejection for warranty coverage. For example if I found coil-overs and an ABS light was on I would automatically approach it as a NON-warranty repair until we could determine no fault on the part of the owner.

Remember, guys, warranty pays the shop very little and is tracked by Honda on the basis of how much they do on a per-VIN average. The dealer should cover defects but not issues caused by modification, abuse or physical damage. Fair is fair, after all. I appreciate those who do not demonize the dealers, not all of them are bad.

Here, here!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
if you go in for steering trouble or anything suspension related, don't bother.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Disclaimer: I work for a dealer

Originally Posted by mole177
if you go in for steering trouble or anything suspension related, don't bother.
I work at a small mid-size Honda dealer. I have been a service advisor for about three years there so what I am saying is only from my limited experience.

Find a good service advisor and build a relationship with your dealer. I know there are bad dealerships out there, when you find them report them to American Honda. Otherwise, even if nothing else, stop in, find a friendly face or even ask to talk to the service manager. Talk to them like normal people, even ... tell them you have a Fit and that you want to do "X" but are concerned about your warranty. Most of the time you will get a good response and they will remember it later if you come in with issues.

Getting any service work done at the dealer is also helpful. I know it sounds trite but if a customer comes in with a few mods and needs something done that would be warranty and the car has a service history with us nobody thinks twice. The same car coming in at 33k for the first time with mods looking for warranty work and with no service history won't be looked at quite the same. It may sound bad but nobody likes you much when you only show up with your hand out for a freebie.

My dealership charges $26.63 for a Fit oil and filter change or $10.00 for labor with your parts. If I were concerned about warranty I'd at least do that. Plus you can look under your car while I do it if you want.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
As much as I might like to have the dealer service my car, it's not always practical. I live alone, have no other vehicle and the dealer is 20 miles away from my job. Having the dealer service the car means losing a minimum of 1/2 day from work and sitting around a service lounge for several hours for a job I can do myself in an hour.

For almost 30 years I drove Chryslers, not because I really liked them, or they were that great, but there was a good local dealer next door to where I worked, and it was easy to get service work done without taking time off from work.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
I work at a small mid-size Honda dealer. I have been a service advisor for about three years there so what I am saying is only from my limited experience.

Find a good service advisor and build a relationship with your dealer. I know there are bad dealerships out there, when you find them report them to American Honda. Otherwise, even if nothing else, stop in, find a friendly face or even ask to talk to the service manager. Talk to them like normal people, even ... tell them you have a Fit and that you want to do "X" but are concerned about your warranty. Most of the time you will get a good response and they will remember it later if you come in with issues.

Getting any service work done at the dealer is also helpful. I know it sounds trite but if a customer comes in with a few mods and needs something done that would be warranty and the car has a service history with us nobody thinks twice. The same car coming in at 33k for the first time with mods looking for warranty work and with no service history won't be looked at quite the same. It may sound bad but nobody likes you much when you only show up with your hand out for a freebie.

My dealership charges $26.63 for a Fit oil and filter change or $10.00 for labor with your parts. If I were concerned about warranty I'd at least do that. Plus you can look under your car while I do it if you want.
If I show up for warranty service it's not because I'm looking for a freebie. It's because there's an issue with the car such as a defect.

The attitude that your dealership has towards customers is exactly why I don't like getting regular maintenance done there. After all, isn't it supposed to be the choice of the customer as to where they get their car serviced?

I trust myself to do my own oil changes and regular maintenance over what the dealer does.

Warranty service shouldn't depend on whether regular maintenance is done there or not.

Last edited by Virtual; 02-15-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
If I show up for warranty service it's not because I'm looking for a freebie. It's because there's an issue with the car such as a defect.

The attitude that your dealership has towards customers is exactly why I don't like getting regular maintenance done there. After all, isn't it supposed to be the choice of the customer as to where they get their car serviced?

I trust myself to do my own oil changes and regular maintenance over what the dealer does.

Warranty service shouldn't depend on whether regular maintenance is done there or not.

Warranty service on an unmoddified vehicle is cut and dried. What I'm talking about is for those who modify their vehicles significantly or who want assistance when out of warranty. Not covering a warrantable repair breaks the law, I would assume.

My dealership deals with plenty of modified Hondas. We warranty what we can within reason, honestly the question rarely comes up. If the check engine light came on because the vent tube got left off the CAI or the same CAI slugs up a half-gallon of water most people understand.