1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Honda Warranty + Aftermarket Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda Warranty + Aftermarket Parts?

So I just bought my Fit about 3 months ago, and had a legit question about warranty. From what I understand, my 2 year factory warranty covers different parts of the car: engine, drivetrain, suspension, electronics, etc etc.

That being said, I've upgraded my car's suspension to some Skunk2 Pro-C coilovers and slapped on an AP1 S2k axle back muffler. I also have some HIDs in both my fogs and healights, with JDM LED tails. Those mods shouldn't affect any of my warranties BESIDES suspension right? Will they dock me for the Acura muffler I put on there? And will they void electronic warranty because of the HIDs I put in? Someone also told me that the modifications I did on the car shouldn't affect warranty unless Honda can tack the defect as a result of aftermarket parts. Is this true?

I'm just wondering if anybody had any issues with bringing their car in for warranty with aftermarket parts installed. Any information would be great!

Old 11-02-2008, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Only time it'll hurt you is if they diagnose that a certain aftermarket part was the cause of the problem. If you have any warranty problems I would suggest putting your car back to stock if possible just to be safe. For example, if you have an electrical problem and my headlights won't work I would obviously take out the HID's and put the stock bulbs back in.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Only time it'll hurt you is if they diagnose that a certain aftermarket part was the cause of the problem. If you have any warranty problems I would suggest putting your car back to stock if possible just to be safe. For example, if you have an electrical problem and my headlights won't work I would obviously take out the HID's and put the stock bulbs back in.
Exactly what he said, My friends works at Honda in Vannuys as a mechanic, i have him look at anything that is wrong, he said nothing will cause your warranty to void, the dealer will try to tell you it will cuz they dont like doing FREE WORK for repairs and warranty work.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:44 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
unless an aftermarket part makes other parts break no void warranty.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Magnuson-Moss Act
read educate yourself...do not let dealerships push you around as they so often do

Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
warranty really depends on the dealer. manufacturers build parts to spec.
honda engineers the cars as one assembly for all parts to work reliably
within those specs.

you change one part of the spec it will affect another that is related to
that part. HID's, LED tails, etc is not part of the spec for the USDM
Fit's so from a quality engineering point of view, Honda does not need
to take any responsibility if your electronics go bad.

if i were you, if something fails just take it in and see wat the dealer says.
some dealers are more supportive than others...

some folks put their stock parts back together and take it into the
dealership. dealership grants the warranty work. yay! the damaged
parts go to the manufacturer where it will go through a 8D report
process. suppliers are not stupid. they can immediately tell if the
part was 'abused' out of its spec or not. guess who pays for that?
not the supplier or honda. YOU. yes, the consumer pays for it down
the road while costs of cars go up. it's a shared cost among all car
buyers.

so next time you see a stock car driving slow, thank the driver for
their support in their support to support your modded car.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
meestersteph - How does the AP1 muffler sound? Any sound clips?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
when my fit was rear ended i had to take it to honda for them to find a short i had ... the service advisor told me no dealer would warrenty my electrical because i had to cut my harness to install my led tails.. also i spliced my oem radio harness to add a hi lo converter.. as far a anything else as long as the failure of equipment is not caused by aftermarket parts you will be fine.. cant warranty suspension when you have lowering springs right ? cant warranty a motor you hydrolocked from using a cai right ? stuff like that.. but know your rights .. dont let the dealer push you around..

Old 11-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by B1str0
when my fit was rear ended i had to take it to honda for them to find a short i had ... the service advisor told me no dealer would warrenty my electrical because i had to cut my harness to install my led tails.. also i spliced my oem radio harness to add a hi lo converter.. as far a anything else as long as the failure of equipment is not caused by aftermarket parts you will be fine.. cant warranty suspension when you have lowering springs right ? cant warranty a motor you hydrolocked from using a cai right ? stuff like that.. but know your rights .. dont let the dealer push you around..
"but know your rights .. dont let the dealer push you around.."
exactly....and they have to have an outside 3rd party prove what you did caused the failure according to law before then can void the warranty....otherwise you could sue the ever livin shit outta the dealership