2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Outside Air Temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 PM
I love quantifying everything in my life. Out here in Portland it doesn't really snow, it ices. And the ice is invisible. The temps can drop really quickly out here and I don't have any experience driving in icy or snowy conditions. I watched the temperature readout and last winter it was very accurate when compared to the radio and my phone. As soon as it drops below freezing I slow down a lot or just turn around.

It's an early warning system for the cold. Mine even flashes "ICE... ICE.... ICE" when the temps drops quickly. A+

Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone. Winters do get very cold and roads ice up here, therefore it's crucial for all drivers to have a relatively accurate measure of outside temperature. My problem however, is that when I remain idle for a few minutes, the mirror starts reading ridiculously high temps, from what we discussed here I am concluding that my temp sensor is located in a place where it only encounters air during the motion. I will going back to dealer to get this issue fixed asap.

Last edited by fidelito; 09-30-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by fidelito
Thanks everyone. Winters do get very cold and roads ice up here, therefore it's crucial for all drivers to have a relatively accurate measure of outside temperature. My problem however, is that when I remain idle for a few minutes, the mirror starts reading ridiculously high temps, from what we discussed here I am concluding that my temp sensor is located in a place where it only encounters air during the motion. I will going back to dealer to get this issue fixed asap.
If it's Fit Sport, I'd consider mounting the sensor under the rear spoiler at the top of the hatch. This would put it away from engine heat and under a shield from direct sunlight.

There is a wiring loom that feeds the middle-stoplight from within the car up through the rear driver's side body work. I used that same path to run a GPS and a XM antenna onto the rear of the roof, feeding the wire under the interior trim along the driver's floorboard. I cut a small slit through the flexible rubber accordion piece that contains the stop wires to get out onto the roof. The slit was just big enough to get the connectors through, so it doesn't have much leak potential. I also wrapped it with electrical tape after the fact.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
It ain't cheap but it is first class and worthy of your Fit: Amazon.com: Gentex GENK21A Auto Dimming Mirror W/compass Temperature: Automotive [$168]

I pondered all the options and decided I wanted something that looked like it came with the car - not a JCW add-on.

Genex actually is an OEM supplier to the industry.
Mount the sensor low behind the front license plate Clipped mine to the bumper edge I believe. Give very accurate road surface temps - no engine effects at all, even at idle

It is a mod worth doing, though the trick is where the sensor goes - it measures that temp.

K_C

Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Formotion

Originally Posted by RexRacer
Has anyone picked up a good aftermarket gauge that displays the air temp outside the car? And where did you mount it? (I have seen a few but all I have found come with clocks etc. I would just like an easy to read temperature gauge that looks good inside the Fit.)
I've always been a fan of these gauges from Formotion

I usually mount directly to the lower left corner of the driver's side mirror. I'd lean to the white colored one to factor out the heating up of the gauge. It does give a false reading when siting still/parked but works well when car is in motion.

Not cheap but sturdy and well built. Look around on the 'interwebs'. Sure to find a clearance deal somewhere.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Good temp solution for me.

I bought a CIPA 36400 Wedge Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature at Amazon for my 2009 Fit.

Temp accuracy as good as my cars with built-in units. Sensor attached in front of plastic panel under front bumper. It is in indented area in front left of plastic panel under bumper. I drilled a hole in plastic panel to run cable through and made a slit to hold sensor. Sensor is exposed to airflow, but outside of danger. Had over 3 years and 60,000 miles with no problems. Also has auto-dimming mirror and compass. When running cable down "A" pillar, remember to run it under the airbag, not over it! Installation looks like came from factory that way. Does not look added on. No batteries to replace and easy to read day or night.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM
EDU
Originally Posted by hspatz
I bought a CIPA 36400 Wedge Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Temperature at Amazon for my 2009 Fit.

Temp accuracy as good as my cars with built-in units. Sensor attached in front of plastic panel under front bumper. It is in indented area in front left of plastic panel under bumper. I drilled a hole in plastic panel to run cable through and made a slit to hold sensor. Sensor is exposed to airflow, but outside of danger. Had over 3 years and 60,000 miles with no problems. Also has auto-dimming mirror and compass. When running cable down "A" pillar, remember to run it under the airbag, not over it! Installation looks like came from factory that way. Does not look added on. No batteries to replace and easy to read day or night.

Do you have any pics of this installed?
also, did you have to buy the extra attatchment for the mirror itself? i think is call "camlock"
i really want to do this to my wife's Fit.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 PM
I just use the Air Intake Temp readout on my ScanGauge II.

The sensor gives really high numbers when puttering around in the city. But, once I get up to highway speeds and the air gets moving faster, the readout matches the weather data on my phone to within a degree or two.

Obviously, buying a purpose-built device for getting the outside temp makes more sense...

Old 06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Just turn on the radio, and they will tell you the temp. lol