2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the Versa almost got me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
It wouldn't be as slow as you'd think when mated to a CVT. Don't forget it'd be able to access the engine's peak power at all times.
of note, (former CVT owner here), the CVT is faster than a conventional auto but not as fast as a manual transmission. CVT's have you in the powerband more often but seem to have more drivetrain loss.

~SB

Old 03-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by secondspassed
It wouldn't be as slow as you'd think when mated to a CVT. Don't forget it'd be able to access the engine's peak power at all times.
the car makes what 84 hp at the crank? that's what like 70 whp? i don't care what trans it has it's going to be slow lol

Old 03-07-2010, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats on your Fit! My mechanic, who I actually trust for years, poo poo'd Nissan's reliability so it was never a consideration for me when choosing a new car.

Dan

Old 03-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I checked out the Versa before buying the Fit. The problem was that I wanted a number of options that they had, but refused to make with a M/T. Made no sense, and the dealer could not explain why. In any event, even thought the Fit cost more, i got all I wanted in the way of options, and a much better built car to boot.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Test hopped a Versa when we were car shopping for our kid...I have a Fit, and the Versa seemed absolutely bog slow by comparison.
My daughter was driving (admittedly three up with the A/C cranking), and I told her to boot it...she said she WAS booting it...gutless.
Moon

ETA-
We shopped the Nissan as they were quoting a really low price, or we'd have shopped Honda.
M

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
here too in canada - the versa was cheaper, but driving a fit and versa manual - no comparison

one is more casual, the other sporty and fun

Old 03-08-2010, 03:23 PM
the base versas are cheaper, but loaded versas are very similar to fit invoices, but contain lots of more options and accessories. The current 1250 cash back on the versa was calling us too, but the honda guy was somehow able to give us triple for the trade in value of our old PoS. I'm still wondering if there was some kind of rebate or incentive available on the new fit that I wasn't aware of? The honda dealer knew I was shopping the versa, so he knew they needed to find extra cash somewhere.

I also like the idea of keyless entry and ignition on the Versa. Never take the "key" out of your pocket... sounds pretty cool.

wondering if the versa could have held my tall liter bottles? The only place they fit in my fit are in the dash cup holders. I actually brought a bottle on one of my test drives, but my shorter half liter was all that was clean at the time.

Anyway... day 3 of the Fit and we love it. Still trying to get to 600!

Old 03-08-2010, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
You made the right choice. How much is a 5 star crash rating worth? Also, see the quote from Mahout.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
You would probably be happy with both - depending on your needs.

Honestly the versa is more comfy, in a caddy way - back seats are nice - its not firm like the fit, but the thrill of driving, just isn't the same.

As a 2nd car, family hauller, the versa was probably the more logical choice, but for the kids in me, and thinking of gas savings, and having a smile on my face - the fit 5speed won!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
yeah, no regrets with the honda at all. it was actually my first choice when we decided on an econo box- this is actually my 3rd honda.

I just wanted to share my shopping experience story. And I'm thankful I wasn't taken by the stinky versa!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by vickenp
You would probably be happy with both - depending on your needs.

Honestly the versa is more comfy, in a caddy way - back seats are nice - its not firm like the fit, but the thrill of driving, just isn't the same.

As a 2nd car, family hauller, the versa was probably the more logical choice, but for the kids in me, and thinking of gas savings, and having a smile on my face - the fit 5speed won!
One of the carzines made a similar comparison, saying the Versa was kinda like a mini Crown Vic, and the Fit like a sportscar.
Moon

Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
I also like the idea of keyless entry and ignition on the Versa. Never take the "key" out of your pocket... sounds pretty cool.
It's a shame Honda doesn't offer the SmartKey on the Fit there. This is something that is on mine, never have to remove the keyfob from my pocket. There is a button on each front door to lock, to unlock you just lift the handle and you just turn the ignition once you get in. It just makes the Fit seem more upscale then what it really is. Though with how much it cost me to get it ($/¥ exchange) I should have some amentities with the over $5000 I paid compared to US pricing. hahaha

Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 PM
The stuff that is on a Fit (or a Versa, come to that) compared to what was on similar market niche cars in years gone by...cruise, power windows, air, antilock...and it's possible to take one on a fairly long trip, even if you're older than 23...
Dazzling.
Moon

Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
One of the carzines made a similar comparison, saying the Versa was kinda like a mini Crown Vic, and the Fit like a sportscar.
Moon
HILLARIOUS!

I see what they are getting at... but neither of those descriptions came to my mind when I was testing them. haha!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
It's a shame Honda doesn't offer the SmartKey on the Fit there. This is something that is on mine, never have to remove the keyfob from my pocket. There is a button on each front door to lock, to unlock you just lift the handle and you just turn the ignition once you get in. It just makes the Fit seem more upscale then what it really is. Though with how much it cost me to get it ($/¥ exchange) I should have some amentities with the over $5000 I paid compared to US pricing. hahaha
wow. I know I would have really liked that.
do you have a moon roof too?
how does your invoice/packages compare with a same market versa?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
The stuff that is on a Fit (or a Versa, come to that) compared to what was on similar market niche cars in years gone by...cruise, power windows, air, antilock...and it's possible to take one on a fairly long trip, even if you're older than 23...
Dazzling.
Moon
totally
I was shopping for an Impreza when I decided to take a look at these cars: "Surely they are crap, but worth a test drive anyway...".

It didn't take long before we decided that the low cost, fuel savings, and bang for the buck was enough for us to go econo. This is a much different machine than my buddies ford festiva was.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
I have to say that the iKey is one of only a very few things I miss from the Altima. like you said, there's a button on each of the front doors and one under the lip of the trunk (just above the plate). I thought it was gimicky at first but after having it, I miss it. Getting groceries or other loads of stuff into the car was easy. Pinky on the button, pinky under the handle, dump the stuff in the back seat or trunk. When you're hands are full, and there's 6" of snow on the ground, little conveniences like this are quite handy. You don't have to take your hand out of your glove to get the key out of your pocket.... and you can't lock the key in the car as it'll unlock the doors or pop the trunk and then beep at you if it detects the key in there. I wonder if the one you have could be installed here. (in a PNP Fashion).

~SB

Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
No moonroof, but as I stated in another thread somewhere on the forum, I really have no use or care for them. There was the option to get the glass top roof, but didn't want that either as again it just adds weight up high raising the CoG of the car.

Unfortunately, no idea about the Versa or whatever they might be called here, I do all my car shopping at Honda and only Honda. Just my choice in vehicle and Soichiro is the big reason for that.