2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Critic
On my friend's '09 Fit Base 5AT, I feel that there is excessive engine vibration.

If you have the transmission in park, with the hood open, I can visibly see a small movement of the engine at idle, which doesn't seem right to me.

At a traffic light in Drive, I can feel a light vibration throughout the car. The vibration is at about the same level as my personal Saturn which has worn motor mounts.

Now, I am not familiar with Honda engines but I don't remember the new Civic that I rode in to have any vibration at all, nor do I remember the 2.4L Accord I drove to have any vibration either.

Is it normal for the Fit's engine to vibrate at idle? This car in question has almost 32,000 miles on it. Also, I noticed that upon light acceleration at < 20 mph speeds, I hear a slight "dieseling" (for the lack of a better term) sound coming from this engine. It reminds of an old car "chugging." Is that normal as well?

Thanks.
Four cylinders are not balanced perfectly so some vibration is normal. open the hood and lay your hand on the engine while idling; if the movement is large, say more than a quarter-inch you may want your dealer to at least dicument the situation. Thats with idle speed correct at 600 rpm r so.; if rpm at idkle is low you wll get more and unwarranted vibration.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
I've noticed a similar idle vibration lately too. I can see it a lot in the passenger side wiper arm. Mine only seems to do it once it has warmed up fully and the idle speed drops to around 600-700 RPM. When it's cold and idles a little faster, it doesn't do it. If I blip the throttle a tiny bit, it goes away until it settles back to the idle speed.

I don't recall the car doing this when it was new. I've only noticed it in the last few thousand miles (I've got about 45000 on it).