2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Need to install an inverter - where to thread wires from the battery to the cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Need to install an inverter - where to thread wires from the battery to the cabin?

I've got a 400W inverter that needs to be connected directly to the battery, which means I need to figure out a way to get the wires from the battery, through the firewall, and into the cabin. Does anyone know of any easy modes of entry for wires into the cabin? Pictures would be most helpful. I need this ASAP as my car is basically my office.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny
I've got a 400W inverter that needs to be connected directly to the battery, which means I need to figure out a way to get the wires from the battery, through the firewall, and into the cabin. Does anyone know of any easy modes of entry for wires into the cabin? Pictures would be most helpful. I need this ASAP as my car is basically my office.
Above the accelerator there is a large round rubber grommit that goes through the firewall. I used a long thin fiberglass rodd to push my Amp power wire through the side of it. It was a serious PIA and when I had to run a second and third wire through it I ended up removing the air cleaner box to have better access to it from the front rather than reaching below the dash. It will be a clean looking install but its a real pain.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 AM
Thanks! I'll go look for this grommet. I know what you mean by it being a pain in the ass - I was cutting up my hands on the Toyota Echo trying to do the same wire through grommet thing.

But if anyone has an easier point of access please speak up!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM
You probably already know this, but make sure and install a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery end in case that circuit ever shorts out..

Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Ok, I'm done with the installation.

I did NOT go through the grommet. I checked it out and it seemed way too hard - especially since it's way in the engine compartment and would require taking off the air box like you said.

So I ran the wires inside the driver side front fender and through the rubber grommet that allows the driver side door wires to enter the cabin.

But where do I mount this 400W inverter? The Fit has no space under the front seats and no compartments. Right now it's just sitting on top of the two center cupholders.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
If you are feeling brave: What I would probably do in this situation is run the power cord under the center console, under the carpet between the rear seats and back under the spare tire cover. Mount the inverotr inside of the spare tire or in another recess in the back. Then run an extension cable back under the carpet, under the console and Leave the outlet exposed where you want in the front. The carpet that goes over the hump in the rear is padded and covers up about 10 cables I have running to my amps and gamecube without showing a buldge.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:04 PM
The main problem with having the inverter in the spare tire is that it will be very hard to turn on or off. Since it's connected directly to the battery, there's no easy way to turn it on or off from the cabin if it's all the way in the trunk, unless I somehow add a power switch in the cabin. *sigh* Which I suppose I could do...

Is there an instruction manual or something on how to remove the Fit's carpet from head to toe?

Old 03-21-2010, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
I've never had to actually had to remove the carpet I just tape the wire to a rod and guide it to the back under the carpet. There are other route to the bag such as along the sides of the car too. As for on off I suppose you could wire a switch in the power wire and Keep the inverter itself always on. I don't know what the cooling requirements if your inverter are but maybe youncan just stick it in the map pocket behind the passenger seat?

Old 05-12-2011, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'm looking at doing the same thing. How did your project go? What did you finally decide?

I don't really like the idea of the inverter in the back because I can't turn it off, though routing the wire in the front and putting a switch in line is pretty minor compared to the rest of the project.

I was looking today at the cup holders in the front and found that they pop out easily (a little slot just in front of the shifter). Just in front of the cup holders is the flat piece that makes the little storage compartment. I was considering cutting that out and mounting the inverter to the front of the cup holders facing up.

Another possibility if I can find an inverter the right size/shape is just above the power outlet there is a flat space (under the air circulation control) where a small device could be attached.

Does anyone else have ideas or solutions to this problem?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Inverter might fit in glove box, I know my 300w one does. Easy to mount in there and easy access. Perfect spot for me and lets my passengers play Nintendo!!

Just move any papers you have from the glove box to the little compartment under the back drivers seat.