2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Fit as a highway commuter

Old 04-07-2010, 02:50 PM
No doubt, we were really impressed with the thing, and we'll likely replace our Jimmy with a Forrester once it eventually gives up the ghost. Hopefully by that time (3-5 years from now) Subaru will have their diesel engine in the states.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by johnherreshoff
No doubt, we were really impressed with the thing, and we'll likely replace our Jimmy with a Forrester once it eventually gives up the ghost. Hopefully by that time (3-5 years from now) Subaru will have their diesel engine in the states.
A diesel Forester would be an amazing tow vehicle for a Scamp or Casita travel trailer and a lot of adventures on out of the way off he beaten path dirt roads. I am amazed at the people that have posted on this thread that have or want Fits and have or want Foresters..... Neither are what you would call mainstream and there is a lot of diversification in the ages, geography, and professions of people on fitfreak.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
It sounds like we have very similar commutes--I drive my fit 100 miles round-trip between Ferndale and Dexter every day. I am satisfied with it as a highway commuter, and with such a long commute, I'm grateful to have a car that gets good gas mileage and is cheap to own.

It's comfortable, handles well on the freeway and has good visibility. There is engine noise, but overall it's actually quieter on the freeway than other hondas I've owned because there's less tire noise. And the ride can be a bit harsh because, as you know, we have the worst roads anywhere. But it's really not bad. The seats are very comfortable, much better than those on the Acura RSX I owned before this car.

As far as crash-worthiness, there are always risks associated with little cars. But as little cars go, the Fit is very good.

I say go for it. One tip to make sure you avoid getting squashed on I-96: buy one of those stick-on convex side-view mirrors. Mine has saved me from that exact fate several times.

I've also driven mine from Michigan to Florida and back twice, and was completely comfortable the whole time. That drive really shows you how bad the roads are here in Michigan. It's smooth sailing until you cross the border from Ohio and then BAM--you're bouncing all over.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM
One thing you'll like about the Fit is that you'll be getting better mileage than the sticker says, that's for sure. This car will run forever, especially with highway miles on it. You might wanna get a clear bra installed on it though with all the highway mileage you'll be doing, or get a white one and don't worry about it too much. Enjoy the Fit and watch for the MSP

Old 04-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
One thing you'll like about the Fit is that you'll be getting better mileage than the sticker says, that's for sure. This car will run forever, especially with highway miles on it. You might wanna get a clear bra installed on it though with all the highway mileage you'll be doing, or get a white one and don't worry about it too much. Enjoy the Fit and watch for the MSP
Very true! I picked up a used '09 sport today in Dallas. I drove it 226 miles N and the car is claiming 44.5 mpg. Now I know the computer is quite possibly wrong and I did have a solid tailwind the whole trek. I was driving 75-80 the majority of the ride.

Now I can actually chime in on this thread. The ride was great and I could easily take my fit on 400+ mile drives. It is far superior to my previous car (jeep TJ/brick) on the highways. Road noise and engine noise were noticeable but reasonable. In crosswinds the Fit did not really drift at all. It does lack the grunt to make quick passes but if you plan accordingly; it's not an issue. Overall, I am very happy with this car as my daily highway commuter.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:28 PM
For highway commuting, get an auto tranny. With the manual, your engine revs too high (around 4000 rpm) and it's a bit annoying. As other posters said, the ride quality suffers on concrete highway (feels every bump).