2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Weeks Initial Impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
2 Weeks Initial Impressions...

I'm not calling this a review, or even a real evaluation. I have less than 500 miles on my new Fit. It's my only car. I think unless you get a lemon that literally explodes blocks from the dealership, most people are happy with their automobile purchases. So most immediate reviews are useless.

2 weeks in, I can say this. I am happy with my new Fit. I came from a mid-size vehicle and had reservations about a sub-compact. I'm amazed at the design. Part of it is illusion, but with the ingenious ergonomics, and the Eye of God sized windshield The Fit feels as roomy or roomier than my midsize. So far, I do not feel I've compromised anything and of course have all the benefits of a small vehicle's gas mileage. I was slightly worried that I might feel cramped or "Econo-Boxed" but I can honestly say that The Fit's ergonomics and windshield view make The Fit seem as roomy as anything I've ever driven. Everyone who buys a small car talks about how "big it feels" and I think a lot of it is just talk...but with The Fit? I can say I'm impressed with it's almost supernatural ability to be both a small car and feel like a much larger vehicle.

Biggest positive suprise thus far? Well this might sound stupid but I've never owned a hatchback. My last vehicle was a sedan. I also wasn't sure how I'd adapt to a hatchback. But I discovered a benefit I hadn't even thought about. When it's raining, I love that the raised hatch acts like a big umbrella/shelter while I load things. The Fits hatch raises so high and is so big, it acts like instant shelter. I've enjoyed the cover as opposed to just standing in the rain loading a trunk. So far? Love the hatch.

Biggest negative suprise? Well it's probably a combination of OEM Tires and the fact that The Fit is a small, light vehicle, but also discovered that in the rain, The Fit hydroplanes much more than my previous vehicle. I don't know how much better tires would potentially improve this problem and I don't perceive this as anything but a price to be paid for driving a lighter smaller vehicle....but I pay much closer attention to standing water during big rainfall, because The Fit doesn't handle the puddles as strongly as my Mid-Size vehicle.

I could go on, but I would just be a new owner gushing about his new purchase. So far, I continue to be impressed. I think I enjoy driving The Fit almost too much. Work and circumstance have kept me from a long road trip or many miles, but I find I actually enjoy driving The Fit. The benefit of good gas mileage will be a plus, as I can see deciding to take road trips just for the fun of driving The Fit. Something I would of never decided with previous vehicles....and I liked them as well.

So Initial Impressions? Almost no real negatives outside of it not being as good in rain and water...and being lighter can bounced around a little more. But as far as looks, handling, comfort...so far it exceeds my expectations.

....oh, one last thing....The Fits looks can be polarizing...but even before purchase I liked how The Fit looked. To me, it's a great combination of "Geeky" and "Cool". Which to most would seem like opposites but I really like my somewhat different looking Geeky/Cool car. After driving a Sedan that looked like every other sedan on the road, having a car with a unique profile is a real plus. To me The Fit is unique and different but not because it is "trying" to be, in other words it's not a Xb, Soul or other vehicle that screams it's "difference". But that is not really an initial impression as I said, I liked The Fits looks before I even purchased.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:20 PM
can't wait to get mine, so i can do enjoy it as well. hopefully this summer will be my turn

Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome! Nice "non-review." I have not driven in wet weather enough to have an opinion on hydroplaning. The car felt light to me at first too but I have come to actually like that aspect of it now--once I saw how stable it is on highways (even in gusty winds). Unlike some here, I was not crazy about the look of the car at first but it has really grown on me. And I too report the fun factor and fuel economy has me trying ways to drive it more. When you consider the price, I think Honda has come up with quite a little wonder with the Fit and I see it becoming very popular in the coming years. I think many people here are what I would consider early adopters.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=fitchet;835081
Biggest positive suprise thus far? Well this might sound stupid but I've never owned a hatchback. My last vehicle was a sedan. I also wasn't sure how I'd adapt to a hatchback. But I discovered a benefit I hadn't even thought about. When it's raining, I love that the raised hatch acts like a big umbrella/shelter while I load things. The Fits hatch raises so high and is so big, it acts like instant shelter. I've enjoyed the cover as opposed to just standing in the rain loading a trunk. So far? Love the hatch.

[/quote]

I've owned my Fit since last August and never thought about it but you're right! I have a garage so obviously rain is never an issue unloading things there but I can't currently remember loading things when it was raining. Hmm, I'm sure I must have... I'll get back to you on this!

Off to check the weather forecast. Come on rain! Oh wait....I want to ride my motorcycle. Rain....stay away!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
My Fits' handling on wet weather is actually good. No sliding or hydroplaning of any sort. I do feel the difference in traction, but nothing crazy. I'm glad you like your Fit!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
u should park your car out when its raining..have the hatch up and sit on your trunk with your gf and have a cup of coffee and enjoy each other's company in the rain.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Glad you like your Fit . I like the hatch as well, being a camper. I can actually set up my tent in the rain staying dry under the hatch. You will be surprised what you can haul{including lounge chairs}. My main hauling is 2 canoes on top,and a weeks worth of food,tents,paddling gear,girlfriend,and cooking items,and still have room. You are right it is amazing for it's size.

BTW, your tires are not broken in yet at 500 miles. They are not scuffed or flexed up enough to grip right yet. I had the same thoughts when I first got my Fit. I have the OEM Dunlops and they are fine for what they are, just don't push them out of their design limits. I know there are better wet traction tires out there if that is a major concern of yours. When winter came I put new Winter tires on and they had that same uneasy feeling at first,then became almost bulletproof in the wet and snow as they wore in.

To steal another manufacturers line: Enjoy the ride!

PaFitter

Old 04-02-2010, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I'm not calling this a review, or even a real evaluation. I have less than 500 miles on my new Fit. It's my only car. I think unless you get a lemon that literally explodes blocks from the dealership, most people are happy with their automobile purchases. So most immediate reviews are useless.
I'm willing to disagree on this. When you are new to a car, everything is unfamiliar, so you have a fresh perspective about it. Re: rain, after coming to the Fit from a Subaru Forester, I was not looking forward to my first drive in heavy rain. No problem, even with the stock tires, the Fit seemed to hydroplane less than the Forester, possibly because the Forester had considerably wider tires.

Glad you're happy with your purchase; a Fit tends to grow on you over time -- in a good way.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
mine sucks in the rain too but it dose good in the snow i have the oem dunlaps on still tho