2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

JKSKRN's 1/4 time research

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
I did some changes on my suspension and had to take it out on 55 miles of twistys and and hills I was careful to drive the speed limit for about 4 minutes, maybe a little longer. I might have seen 4 or 5 cars total and they were about as concerned with the speed limit as I was..... I feel sorry for people that live in cities.... I love the way my car runs when it is cool and raining.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
I added some my personal opinions about what I put in

Old 04-22-2010, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
5th days run added

Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
danm i just orded the k&n drop in smh lol

Old 04-22-2010, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
You can improve your traction at the front wheels by doing what Tork has done with his car and stick some air shocks in place of the rear shocks....I have some on my GD3 and with enough pressure to raise the rear a bit to transfer weight to the front I hardly spin my tires at all.... Just raising the rear up a couple of inches makes a difference.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
let this be known 93 octain doesn't increase hp... it is REALLY bad for out cars.... numbers talk.....

and just to let you know the mugen rear bumper is going to create drag unless you habe a defuser

Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
No doubt about it, fantastic thread! I love my PRM also, great item!

Small things for next time, easy no or low cost.

1. Remove your back seat (4 bolts) along with spare and jack. It should add up and help with ET and maybe wheel spin.

2. Put Rain-X on yer windows. This stuff is extremely slick! lots of glass on the Fit, it could incrementally reduce drag.

3. A good slick wax job.

4 put the 87-89 octane back in, or if you can find 91 octane try that as it usually has NO ethenol, which is good!

16 second 1/4's are right there, you are soooo close
Also your top end speed average is UP, you know what that means, you ARE gaining on it!

Final thought is the 93 octane could be helping. With wheel spin and avg. top speed up, you can't completely rule it out!

Last edited by Tork; 04-22-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Thank u so much for support guys. I really enjoy doing it becase some people do find it interesting. Also the one thing that keeps me going back is that 17 sec wall lol.

Originally Posted by Tork
1. Remove your back seat (4 bolts) along with spare and jack. It should add up and help with ET and maybe wheel spin.

2. Put Rain-X on yer windows. This stuff is extremely slick! lots of glass on the Fit, it could incrementally reduce drag.

3. A good slick wax job.

4 put the 87-89 octane back in, or if you can find 91 octane try that as it usually has NO ethenol, which is good!
I know removing rear seats is easy but I just don't see myself driving the Fit without them in normal condition The only thing that I'm thinking about doing to ease the wheel spin out is putting 25 -30 psi air instead of 37 psi i have right now.
Funny u mention #2 & 3 because that's one of my trick that I've been doing ever since my Z4. I take about an hr claying the crap outta the car and wax very well and then put RainX all over my windows (even rear one lol) before the track day. The thing is IT WORKS PEOPLE!!!
I am not really a knowledgable person when it comes to what kinda gas to put in a car. After reading A LOT OF ARGUMENTS about what grade gas to put in a car this is the conclusion I made . Engine with below 10.0:1 compression ratio should put 87 and above should put 93. I know there r a lot of factors that don't agree with my theory but seems like it's a pretty good rule of thumb.
I don't know about where u live Tork, but here in FL, every grade gas has at least 10% ethenol...
But yeah, I can't wait until tomorrow to get the HKS exhaust!!! lol

Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Great thread thanks so much for the info. I'm hoping to order the PRM intake next month, gotta get the tint done before summer heat hits in south FL.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
The ECU will adjust the timing and air/fuel ratio to accommodate any gasoline with an octane rating over 87... I have seen the timing advance to over just 40 degrees on my car at cruising speed while using 93 octane and octane booster... That is about 10 degrees more than I have heard others that use 87 octane say that they have seen on their Scanguage.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The ECU will adjust the timing and air/fuel ratio to accommodate any gasoline with an octane rating over 87... I have seen the timing advance to over just 40 degrees on my car at cruising speed while using 93 octane and octane booster... That is about 10 degrees more than I have heard others that use 87 octane say that they have seen on their Scanguage.
You can't make these assumptions unless you make controlled tests on the same car. Something as small as coolant temps being 1* off can affect timing.

Our fits definitely don't have any type of fuel octane detector, so the only reason the ECU would change map is due to knock or temp. Engineers wouldn't tune the motors to the edge on 87 octane so knock is probably not the contributing factor.

Higher octane fuel actually have less energy than lower octane. They are designed to be more stable to allow higher compression or pressurizing intake (turbo or s/c). It's not bad for our cars. It just wouldn't do anything.

OP - please provide some 60's so we can have a better idea of the car's performance.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen these same arguements from other forums as well about 87 vs 93 and I don't think this is going to never end Here's what I think, people can do whatever they wanna do to their car lol. Here's a thing tho. I was comparing our L15 engine which has 10.4:1 compression ratio engine (thanks to Texas Coyote ) to B18 Integra GS-R engine which has 10:1 compression ratio. I had one myself about 5 yrs ago, and it says "premium gas only" sticker on the gas cap. Also I have 03 Honda CR-V which has K24 with 9.6:1 compression ratio engine and it says "87 or higher". I think (again, my opinion) Honda told Fit owners to use 87 or higher because Fit's operation costs would go up and people would think different about the car if they spec premium grade gas in this little car.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
See I am more in line with you than the naysayers.
Here is why.......
first an assumption with 10.4 compression, they have it on the edge for 87.
So Honda uses the knock sensor to save your engine if you have bad gas that knocks. So if timing can adjust down, then why can it not adjust up as well?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jkskrn

I know removing rear seats is easy but I just don't see myself driving the Fit without them in normal condition
My rear seat is mostly out, well right now my daughters are in sports mode so I have the little rear section in. BUT you sir can be inspirational by taking those seats out as you are almost the only guy who proves things out. You mean you do somewhat tricky plug changes, intakes AND you CANT REMOVE 4 BOLTS?????????????????????????????
You should get about this..............using this 1/4 mile calculator.
plug in 2650 lbs, 123 flywheel HP (which is an absolute minimum of yer mods) then plug in the same but 2550 HP
1/4 Mile ET Calculator
+ I wish I was closer. I'd meet you at the track and have you bolt on my 11lb SSR wheels
Originally Posted by jkskrn
I am not really a knowledgable person when it comes to what kinda gas to put in a car. After reading A LOT OF ARGUMENTS about what grade gas to put in a car this is the conclusion I made . Engine with below 10.0:1 compression ratio should put 87 and above should put 93. I
I don't know about where u live Tork, but here in FL, every grade gas has at least 10% ethenol...
Sure, Nissan/Infiniti V6, Acura, yeah they specify premium for that kind of compression ratio.
I am at IL/WI border and Lake Michigan, I have to go north or west 100 miles or so to find non eth gas. I jump about 2-3 MPG with non eth. 91 octane

Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
I have had my Fit 3 months shy of 4 years and could easily find ethanol free fuel for the first 2 years. When the 10% ethanol stuff started showing up and I would be in a position where I had to use it I immediately saw a 10% loss in fuel mileage.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
You mean you do somewhat tricky plug changes, intakes AND you CANT REMOVE 4 BOLTS?????????????????????????????
lol I knew u were gonna say that!
Yeah, I'll prob. do it in the end if I can't break that 17 sec wall after putting the HKS exhaust for s&g.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Like I said earlier, please provide some 60's to your 1/4 mile times. It really helps to give more insight about the performance of the car when you figure in launch.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by No_Skillz
Like I said earlier, please provide some 60's to your 1/4 mile times. It really helps to give more insight about the performance of the car when you figure in launch.
Sorry, I am not ignoring u I don't usually get the ticket after each run so I have no idea what my 0 to 60 is right now. For that, I don't know my 1/8 mile time either. I just have someone look at my time (usually the guy who comes there every single time I am there name Rick) and he gives me time and speed. I would love to stop by and get the ticket next Wednesday I'm pretty sure it's somewhere around 10 sec tho But yeah, I'm pretty sure some people want to see the actual paper with numbers, so I guess I'll do that Thanks

Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 AM
By 60's I meant 60 foot time. It tells you how well you launched and can really affect your run to run. But thanks for all the data so far. It's been one of the rare sources of solid performance data on this site.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
So I didn't get to go last night because mt friend who has the Flip video camera chickened out... I'm going this Friday even if I have to go by myself... lol

Quick Reply: JKSKRN's 1/4 time research