2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JKSKRN's 1/4 time research

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Post JKSKRN's 1/4 time research

So, I've been 1/4 miling with my GE8 AT Fit at a local track here in Orlando, FL (well, only 3 times so far... lol), and I decided to do some research for you guys I'm planing on doing about 4 more days of runs each time with a typical easy GE8 mods. Btw, I don't usually get the recept because it's kinda pain in the a$$ get them after the run. Also my R/T time is pretty decent (about .7 sec avg) due to playing PSP drag racing game all the time lol
Here are some stats and how I do 1/4 miles:
-Car: 2010 White Fit Sports AT with about low 3K miles
-Driver: 5'10" 185lb
-Launching: "S" mode (not using paddle shifters), left foot on break firm, right foot on gas reving about 2k rpm and then full throttle after the green light.
-Driver experience: 30+ runs with 3 different cars
-Gas: 87 Octane (99% BP gas station)
-Mods: Will specify each run
-Tires: Stock Dunlop
-Rear seats folded flat

1. March 24th Sunny (Around mid 50's F with almost no wind)
-Stock GE8 without spare tires and jack
*17.6 sec @ 80 mph
*17.3 sec @ 82 mph
*17.4 sec @ 81 mph

2. April 7th Sunny (Around low 60's F with almost no wind)
-The same as 1st day with Denso IK22 spark plugs and LED interior lights (I don't know if that changes anything but...)
*17.9 sec @ 79 mph
*17.8 sec @ 79 mph
*18.1 sec @ 77 mph
*17.8 sec @ 79 mph

After putting IK22 spark plugs, I noticed my car got slower even thought the track tempeture was about 5F higher. I was so sad when I saw the number "18"...

3. April 9th Cloudy (Around mid 60's F with wind helping)
-The same as 2nd day with K&N drop-in filter
*17.6 sec @ 81 mph
*17.4 sec @ 82 mph

I only got to run twice because it was sooo busy and started to rain a bit. But def. felt different after putting the K&N drop-in filter. It sounds cool too! lol

I'm expecting a PRM intake within a couple of days, so I'm gonna try to go again this Wednesday. Since everyone said this intake raise about 5+whp so I can't wait!!! lol
PS: I returned the K&N drop-in filter the next day lol

4. April 14th Sunny (Around low 60's F with 10+ mph wind helping)
-The same as 2nd day + 93 Octane gas from BP (Filled up only 1/3 tank full from empty)
*19.1 sec @ 80 mph
*18.2 sec @ 76 mph
*17.0 sec @ 83 mph

Thoughts: I don't think 93 octane gas is really helping because I didn't feel any different. I got the 17.0 sec because of the wind not the gas in my opinion. Thanks to Texas Coyote, my consistancy is gone... All I could think about before the launch was his word "I am still very impressed with your ET consistency" lol Anyhow, I can't wait til go back next Wednesday with PRM intake on. Oh, I should have my Mugen grill by then too so we will see if that helps also

5. April 21st Cloudy (Around high 60's F with almost no wind)
-No spare tire + no jack + IK22 + PRM intake + 1/3 tank 99% 93 octane + Mugen grill
*19.5 sec @ 80 mph
*17.5 sec @ 82 mph
*17.0 sec @ 89 mph
*17.6 sec @ 84 mph

Thoughts: I totally disappointed about the result... I expected breaking 17 sec every single runs but instead I got WAY more wheel spins... The PRM intake def. made it faster off the line but with losing all the gained power to wheel spins, my times didn't change at all... Bright side of tonight's run was that I had a "super quick" wheel spin going from 1st to 2nd gear (HELL YEAH!!! lol) AND, my second run was against Mazda 3 hatch and guess what?! I smoked him!!! Well, he was only 0.2 slower but... IT'S MY FIRST WIN EVER WITH THE FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol So in conclusion, PRM intake DOES make a difference in performance on surface just like it did in dyno!!! I highly recomend this intake!!!
HKS Hi-power exhaust is coming tomorrow so I'm going back again next Wednesday for sure. Plus my friend who has a Flip video camera promissed me that he is gonna go with me next time, so I finally going to have a video clip of me runing!!!

Add on & Mods thoughts:
These are my personal opinions so please try not to argue about what u r about to read
1. Driving without spare tire and jack
-I know shaving weights from this car is the best thing u can do to the car but I don't see any point of getting rid of them to shave down only 30 lb or so in the back. I don't see any improvement in gas milages either.
2. Driving with the rear seats fold flat
-I think this is the best way (not spending any money of course) to improve the Fit's handling because I can def. tell the difference with my rear seats down when I curve around twisty roads.
3. Denso IK22 spark plugs
-This is the first actual mod that I did to my car. I got very excited about adding 2+HP just changing spark plugs after reading those articles about the IK22 so I ordered them very next day. The performance shop that I go to do my shopping said IK22 is "pregapped" and u can't gap most of iridium spark plugs so I just ordered the IK22 from my own source for $30 for 4 plugs. After 15 mins of thinking about finding right tool and right approch, I did it without removing the front plastic cover and such. And I will say this, THIS IS NOT AS BAD AS WHAT PEOPLE SAY! I just happened to have a bad lower back and that just delayed some installation time. All in all, I did it in 30 mins just doing it without looking, and I was pretty happy with the result. BTW, watch out for the O2 sensor (green wire housing) when you change 2 right side ones. After installing these plugs, I noticed nothing different compare to the stock plugs. BUT, after putting 93 octane gas in my Fit was a different story. I was getting better response from the engine for sure (not HP wise)
4. K&N drop in filter
-I don't like stock intake filters at all because they restrick air flow so darn much. So I bought (?) one to just to see how it is on Fit. The result was pretty amazing. Maybe it's just me but the sound coming from the fatory air box was nicer and I was getting WAY BETTER response from the engine. I actually felt my low end torque was better.
5. 93 Octane gas
-I don't think this is helping at all unless u combine with other mods in my opinion
6. PRM intake
-I got the intake and installed it right away without thinking because of what people say about this intake. The result? HOLY SH8!!! It feels like I just installed one of those throttle controller... And the amount of low end torque added is incrediable. If u (people with AT Fit) pay attention to ur Fit, I'm sure u noticed that AT Fit changes gear so much driving on up hills. After putting the intake, none of those happen unless it's a darn stiff up hill... I'm going up on pretty decent hills (yes, we do have some hills here in FL lol) and the tranny doesn't shift to gain more power to go up. And my favorite thing about this intake is the sound. I didn't know my little 1.5L can make this much noise until I put the intake... But like people said in this forum, u can't even tell if it's there until u go over 3k rpm.
6. Mugen grill
-Installing this was way too simple. The car looks way more aggressive and it actually feels like the car gotten better because of more fresh air going thru the grill.
7. HKS Hi-power exhaust
-Got a used one from a FF member and I gotta say, this is what exactly what I was looking for... I love the way it faces a little to the right and how deep the noise is. I really didn't believe that people saying "HKS exhaust is less louder than PRM intake" until I installed it... and it is true lol. It took me 5 mins (yes 5 mins) after lifting the car and just wanna say make sure u put some WD40 or some kind of lubricant on the rubber parts before u remove them to make it easier to come out. My MPG went way up from 32mpg avg to 38mpg avg after driving about 200 miles. I guess my whole set up so far really needed a bigger exhast outlet. Also I feel much more HP/TQ in higher rpm range. I def. recomend this exhaust.
8. Throttle controller
-coming soon
9. Mugen rear end spoiler
-coming soon

Last edited by jkskrn; 04-24-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
These little engines make more power when the temperatures are low.... The oil viscosity does influence power and cold weather does have an influence on that by increasing the viscosity. I think your times are great for an automatic, very consistent.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
returning an air filter that was once installed and used is pretty shady...

nice numbers though, i guess i can pull 17 even or better since i have an exhaust too. lol.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
sweet. i was just in orlando a couple of weeks ago during ur spring break. ...wrong time to go...disney world. lol.

definitely gonna keep up w/ this post since i got almost the same car (2009 tw auto sport) and im about the same as you ( 5'10, 186lbs ).

my mods include k&n drop in filter, denso iridium ik22 plugs, and d1 spec etc (as far as performance mods go).

keep us updated.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Subscribed! I like this I'm interested

Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
You went to bithlo? I used to go there when I actually had a car that was worth the drive lol. My filters getting dirty, about to hit 28,000. Gross... Ill pick up a K&N filter soon though, or maybe just get the whole K&N intake.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Cool idea man i like the part about the led's haha. Keep us posted with the numbers once you get the PRM intake. =]

Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Try a premium gas run so we can answer the myth?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
good info. i will def subscribe to see progress. +rep

have you considered changing the plugs back?

X2 on the different octanes

Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I go to Bithlo. People there hate me (specially those who drives fuel sl@ts). But then I know so many people there so I don't really care . I was thinking about putting 93+ octane gas but someone told me that Fit has L15 engine which is pretty low pressured engine to give it more torque or something like that so putting anything higher than 87 will actually hurt the car. (Not sure that's true or not) But yeah, I can't wait until I get the PRM intake!!! lol

Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Oh Niko, I just wanna say thank u because I saw ur DIY LED lights and the switch for the cargo light, and now I have them just like yours It took me awhile to cut the gray plastic cover but it's def worth it!!! Thanks again!
PS: I don't ever want to deal with the spark plugs again... I did it without taking the plastic thinggy under the wipers and it was a hell if u know what I mean...

Last edited by jkskrn; 04-13-2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Added
Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
id like to see more results

Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jkskrn
Yeah, I go to Bithlo. People there hate me (specially those who drives fuel sl@ts). But then I know so many people there so I don't really care . I was thinking about putting 93+ octane gas but someone told me that Fit has L15 engine which is pretty low pressured engine to give it more torque or something like that so putting anything higher than 87 will actually hurt the car. (Not sure that's true or not) But yeah, I can't wait until I get the PRM intake!!! lol
Premium fuel will not hut your car..... 87 octane isn't recommended, it is stated in my owners manual that 87 octane is the lowest octane fuel you can use..... I use it and octane booster in my car..... It cost more but my car seems to like it.... I like single malt scotch but I can get buzzed on Mad Dog 20 20 but I don't like MD2020. I am still very impressed with your ET consistency.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Oh Niko, I just wanna say thank u because I saw ur DIY LED lights and the switch for the cargo light, and now I have them just like yours It took me awhile to cut the gray plastic cover but it's def worth it!!! Thanks again!
PS: I don't ever want to deal with the spark plugs again... I did it without taking the plastic thinggy under the wipers and it was a hell if u know what I mean...

Thats cool. nice to see your enjoying the lights.

haha plugs are a bitch huh. reminds me of lowering my car

maybe i'll see you at the next meet we have. that is if we ever
have one on the weekend.

X2 again on the gas. it wont do nothing to your car.
just try it if you can and let us know.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Texas Coyote, U just jinxed it and I ma gonna have a bad tire spin 20 sec run next time jk lol
So the PRM intake hasn't showed up today (blame Canada for this one lol) and I'm lil disappointed, but I guess I can go do runs with 93 octane since some of you guys want to know I still have about 1/2 tank of 87 in my Fit so I guess I ma gonna go do some long distance shopping to "waste" some gas before I fill it up with fresh 93 octane gas lol Wish me luck!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
Thats cool. nice to see your enjoying the lights.

haha plugs are a bitch huh. reminds me of lowering my car

maybe i'll see you at the next meet we have. that is if we ever
have one on the weekend.

X2 again on the gas. it wont do nothing to your car.
just try it if you can and let us know.
I have a car club here in Orlando, and our "thing" is doing monthly cruise around FL. Our May run is going to be from Orlando to Palm Coast, and I'm very excited about this one. I don't have a route set up yet but def. gonna take Sr-44 to Deland and then Sr-11 all the way up to Palm Coast. Most of my car club members own moded Subarus, but we can hangout and u can show us around when I get up there since I'm going to be driving my Fit

Old 04-14-2010, 12:54 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
I have a car club here in Orlando, and our "thing" is doing monthly cruise around FL. Our May run is going to be from Orlando to Palm Coast, and I'm very excited about this one. I don't have a route set up yet but def. gonna take Sr-44 to Deland and then Sr-11 all the way up to Palm Coast. Most of my car club members own moded Subarus, but we can hangout and u can show us around when I get up there since I'm going to be driving my Fit

not a problem. looking forward to it. just let me
know when.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
info updated

Old 04-15-2010, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for doing the run! Looks like the debate will continue, lol.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
4. April 14th Sunny (Around low 60's F with 10+ mph wind helping)
-The same as 2nd day + 93 Octane gas from BP (Filled up only 1/3 tank full from empty)
*19.1 sec @ 80 mph
Based on your current trajectory, slap that intake on and you will be in the 20 second range for sure. Mugen grill will put you in the 21 second bracket. But seriously 17 is awesome for an automatic wind or not.

Last edited by Tork; 04-15-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: JKSKRN's 1/4 time research