2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Please. Anyone install these other batteries?

Originally Posted by badself
51R will not work with the GE Fit. The fuse buss at the end of the positive terminal is obstructed by the airbox when you try to attach it to the battery post. The GD Fit does not have the oversized fuse buss so you can get by with the 51R in that case. If the battery were half an inch shorter, it would work for the GE as well.
That's exactly what I found out with my Fit 09.... 1/2 inch too small. I could not find a way to put a bigger battery in the car. Other people in this thread also point out that there are other manufacturer's batteries that will work. I have spent days looking for these batteriers. My conclusion is that they will either not fit the battery box area... assuming no major alteration... or, they just don't have better cranking power than the standard Honda "mini" battery.

Please, if you have put one of these more powerful batteries in the 2009 or 2010 Fit, please post a picture. I would really like to see it installed. I couldn't find any, more powerful battery, that wasn't too tall or too wide or too long to fit in the car.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Battery amp-hour capacity is closely related to battery size/volume. We're not likely to find a significantly more powerful battery for the stock location due to size limitations. To get more power, you'd likely have to relocate the battery and/or do something creative like use multiple P680's or similar in parallel and take advantage of their any-orientation installation felxibility and mount/strap 'em in open areas near the stock location.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Gel cell

Originally Posted by txmatt
Battery amp-hour capacity is closely related to battery size/volume. We're not likely to find a significantly more powerful battery for the stock location due to size limitations. To get more power, you'd likely have to relocate the battery and/or do something creative like use multiple P680's or similar in parallel and take advantage of their any-orientation installation felxibility and mount/strap 'em in open areas near the stock location.

That's what I figured... just can't get the space needed. In my airplane I went from a lead-acid to a gel cel. They are of the same size. The gel cel, however, is 1.5 volts more. It makes for an amzingly different and easy start-up compared to the original lead-acid, in even the coldest of weather, even when left outside in sub-zero weather for 6 weeks... not to mention, no corrosion post problems or boil-over. Unfortunately, I can't find an equivalent battery for the Fit. Maybe someone will eventually make a comparable battery.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
If anyone wants a replacement the Powermaster D975 fits in perfectly

Old 05-16-2010, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Airman
Probably not many here are out of warranty, but when the time comes for me, I'll buy an Odyessy. A dry acid or gel are the way to go. I suspect the Odyessy PC680 in my motorcycle will carry more load than the one in my Fit.

One consideration I am sure you know, is that bad cells are intermittant trouble makers that will usually show good voltages. They shouldn't fool a good technician with a load bank though. Those intermittant starts will almost always point me to the battery. Lead acid batteries are not very tolerant of being discharged, which may be why we're seeing bad batteries in new cars. 380CCA seems pretty low. Is that really the capacity?

I'm guessing the small battery in the Fit had to do with pricing as there seems to be room for a bigger battery
Yeah I must say I love the Odyssey PC 680
One lasted in my BMW 1100 bike for 9 years,
so I tried one in my Maxima 3.5 V6, worked great, even in Chicago/Milwaukee winters, it lasted 3 years (which is fantastic considering it was cranking a 3.5L motor)

But get this,
my PC680 in my 09 Fit for 18 months, also spent 18 months in my 07 Fit and about a year in my Nissan V6

anyway, just sharing my experiences with this military grade battery.............

slightly off topic, as it is not bigger, but a lot smaller as you can see

Last edited by Tork; 05-16-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by Tork
Yeah I must say I love the Odyssey PC 680
One lasted in my BMW 1100 bike for 9 years,
so I tried one in my Maxima 3.5 V6, worked great, even in Chicago/Milwaukee winters, it lasted 3 years (which is fantastic considering it was cranking a 3.5L motor)

But get this,
my PC680 in my 09 Fit for 18 months, also spent 18 months in my 07 Fit and about a year in my Nissan V6

anyway, just sharing my experiences with this military grade battery.............

slightly off topic, as it is not bigger, but a lot smaller as you can see

By looking at the Oydessy PC680 specs it would make a respectable replacement for the stock battery. How about putting two in there ? Too crowded ? I'm planning to add a cooler/freezer unit in the back that will pull some power when the car is shut off.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Powermaster D975

Name:  DSCN1472.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  141.0 KB

Fits in perfect

D975

Weight Lbs. – 26.43
Weight Kgs.
– 12.00
Length – 7.83 in
Height
– 6.67 in
Width
– 5.30 in
MAX Amps – 2100
Ah
– 35

Last edited by britdevine; 05-17-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by britdevine
Powermaster D975

Fits in perfect

D975

Weight Lbs. – 26.43

Weight Kgs. – 12.00

Length – 7.83 in

Height – 6.67 in
Width – 5.30 in

MAX Amps – 2100

Ah – 35
Looks good but I'd have to change cables or get some terminal adapters... but, that's not impossible. thanks.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 AM
i never had any OEM honda batt "boil over" my last honda went 8.5 years, I desulphated it and kept it to use as backup power, from what I read, zapping your batt with an external charger once a year is good for the life of the batt.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stockrex
i never had any OEM honda batt "boil over" my last honda went 8.5 years, I desulphated it and kept it to use as backup power, from what I read, zapping your batt with an external charger once a year is good for the life of the batt.
I agree with you on the charging of batteries. I prefere doing it at least 3 times a year.

I've never had a Honda OEM battery "boil over", either... but I have had other batteries do it in my other cars.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Airman
By looking at the Oydessy PC680 specs it would make a respectable replacement for the stock battery. How about putting two in there ? Too crowded ? I'm planning to add a cooler/freezer unit in the back that will pull some power when the car is shut off.
I seem to recall that two P680's would be too deep. If you look at the photo above with the single P680, if you wanted to bend down or cut off the flange at the front of the battery shelf, that might get you the extra depth needed. That would require some sort of creative battery hold-down. It also might mess up the cable support for the flex-loom that houses the positive battery cable. It depends on how bad you want/need it I guess.

Make sure and do your homework on any powered cooler. It's best not to run any battery below 50% depth of discharge. Doing that frequently really shortens the battery life. 2xP680's only offer 34 Ah of capacity. So you should really only use 17-20 Ah of that. Depending on the cooler and its current draw, that's probably well under 2 hours of battery run time.

If you're gonna use it for deliveries or a a quick gas/lunch stop on a road trip it's probably fine, but not suitable for much longer periods.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Instead of two PC680's why not one PC925? It is exactly the right size and terminal arrangement when mounted on its side. Remember, AGM batteries are spill proof and dont need to be mounted upright.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by txmatt
Make sure and do your homework on any powered cooler. It's best not to run any battery below 50% depth of discharge. Doing that frequently really shortens the battery life. 2xP680's only offer 34 Ah of capacity. So you should really only use 17-20 Ah of that. Depending on the cooler and its current draw, that's probably well under 2 hours of battery run time.

If you're gonna use it for deliveries or a a quick gas/lunch stop on a road trip it's probably fine, but not suitable for much longer periods.
I read over on the Land Cruiser forum that one of the guys set his cooler at 38 degrees, then left it run for 48 hours. He then started the engine, shut it off immediately then started it again. I'm not sure why he could do that, but the specs say it pulls about 5 amps. It does not run continuously, and I'm sure it depends on what the temperature is set to.
Probably if I were going to stop for the night I would put it on A/C, but I don't think leaving it run a couple of hours would keep me from driving away. I'll just have to do my own testing to be sure.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
i've had this problem with my Fit when I first got it. I know it sat on the dealer's lot a while before i bought it. I didn't drive the Fit during the winter months...but then hooked it up to a battery charger over night before i started driving it again and haven't had the problem since.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stockrex
I desulphated it and kept it to use as backup power, from what I read, zapping your batt with an external charger once a year is good for the life of the batt.
Yeah some of the newer smart chargers have auto desulfating cycles. They pay for themselves in longer battery life. About $47 on amazon
OptiMate Battery Optimiser, battery care and charger by TecMate

Originally Posted by nikita
Instead of two PC680's why not one PC925? It is exactly the right size and terminal arrangement when mounted on its side. Remember, AGM batteries are spill proof and dont need to be mounted upright.
yes, great call. Not meaning to be a cheer leader for the Odyssey batteries, but they are awesome.

Last edited by Tork; 05-19-2010 at 01:01 PM.