2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on new fit price

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Need help on new fit price

I'm in the market for a 2010 Honda Fit Sport w/o nav. I wanted a M/T but no one has them anywhere so I'm going with a A/T. Dealer showed me his invoice at around 16,600 plus the 750 for destination fee. He wanted me to offer reasonable between 17,5-17,9. Would 17,500 be a good price for a Sport A/T? Should I try to go lower with added stuff? There is only 2 other Honda dealership in the area but doesn't have the color black I want.

Thanks,
Future Fit Owner

Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 PM
that is $400 cheaper than what I paid for mine- here in the midwest

Although, I did get $3k for my trade in, where NADA says a good copy should sell for $1.5k. Mine wasn't a good copy, and I was hoping he would offer me half the NADA price.

I'm still wondering where the dealer made his cut?

no extended warranty either

Old 05-07-2010, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SyracuseSoldier
I'm in the market for a 2010 Honda Fit Sport w/o nav. I wanted a M/T but no one has them anywhere so I'm going with a A/T. Dealer showed me his invoice at around 16,600 plus the 750 for destination fee. He wanted me to offer reasonable between 17,5-17,9. Would 17,500 be a good price for a Sport A/T? Should I try to go lower with added stuff? There is only 2 other Honda dealership in the area but doesn't have the color black I want.
Thanks,
Future Fit Owner
It sounds like this dealer is a ripoff. Invoice is worthless and isn't their true cost.

I paid 15,738 (including destination) in CA Bay Area for a brand new fit sport a/t and they can regularly be had for low 16s including destination to most frugal buyers. California does a ton of volume though, but I cannot imagine why your price should be that much higher. Do you look rich or something ?
For the price they want you can probably get a new LX accord on special. Were you dealing with their internet department or their sales department?

What I would do if I were you is use edmunds.com to request dealer quotes from all your local dealers, then use the lowest one against the dealer that has the car you want. Unfortunately some dealers are slime and should not be dealt with at all cost.

Last edited by jondotcom; 05-07-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
just keeping it simple.
I remember there was something like $650 mark up on a MT Sport.
Is it fair for the dealer to make $200? I think so, but that is just me.

So if you take $400-450 off the very bottom line on the window sticker, you are doing great imo.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I'll just add my .02.
I paid 17.5K Jan 09. When they were more scarce/new.

Yahoo has the msrp at 17,260 for an 2010 AT.

2010 Honda Fit Sport 5-Spd AT - Yahoo! Autos

Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tork
just keeping it simple.
I remember there was something like $650 mark up on a MT Sport.
Is it fair for the dealer to make $200? I think so, but that is just me.
So if you take $400-450 off the very bottom line on the window sticker, you are doing great imo.
Huh Why not go for $2232 off sticker?
(17,260MSRP + 710 Destination and Handling = 17970 Total Vehicle Price, Minus $15,738 Paid)

Last edited by jondotcom; 05-07-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Huh Why not go for $2232 off sticker?
(17,260MSRP + 710 Destination and Handling = 17970 Total Vehicle Price, Minus $15,738 Paid)
OK LOL, $2232 discount on a NEW 2010 FIT from the dealer located on the corner of Figment and Imagination

Old 05-07-2010, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
OK LOL, $2232 discount on a NEW 2010 FIT from the dealer located on the corner of Figment and Imagination
I'll take that as a compliment. Go to edmunds prices paid forums and you'll find others who got a similar deal on the 2010 fit sport a/t. They would regularly have $15,888 (including dest) specials but when I went to get mine it went up to 15,988 but I got an additional 250 off for mentioning yelp.com (that promo is gone now).

Old 05-07-2010, 07:04 PM
For the price they want you can probably get a new LX accord on special. Were you dealing with their internet department or their sales department?

What I would do if I were you is use edmunds.com to request dealer quotes from all your local dealers, then use the lowest one against the dealer that has the car you want. Unfortunately some dealers are slime and should not be dealt with at all cost.
I went in person, I could do edmunds.com but there is only 2 other Honda dealers near by. One only has one fit, the other has 5 but not the color i want. I can keep hassling this dealer to lower his price but I'm in a need of a car quick. Thanks

Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I'll take that as a compliment. Go to edmunds prices paid forums and you'll find others who got a similar deal on the 2010 fit sport a/t. They would regularly have $15,888 (including dest) specials but when I went to get mine it went up to 15,988 but I got an additional 250 off for mentioning yelp.com (that promo is gone now).
wow that is amazing, blows my mind, I had no idea. Got my 09 a few weeks after they came out, before the recession, folks still reeling from $4 gas prices.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
I went in person, I could do edmunds.com but there is only 2 other Honda dealers near by. One only has one fit, the other has 5 but not the color i want. I can keep hassling this dealer to lower his price but I'm in a need of a car quick. Thanks
I'm just coming from a frugal perspective, though money may not be a concern for you.

#1 rule is to not let them know how much you like the car and be willing to walk if they play tricks on you (change the price or start pushing add-ons like paint/fabric protection, security system, lojack, extended warranties, etc).

#2, don't tell them that they have the advantage (only one with the color you want, or know you "need" the car) because they'll know you will cave in

#3, car dealers are slime. I worked at one. I know. The bad ones will rip you off, and the good ones still make money on you. That is what they do 24-7. It is their only job and they know how to negotiate better than you.

It cannot hurt to do the edmunds quotes just to see if anyone within an hours drive has a special going. Most dealers will price match, so if a distant dealer has a hot pink one but your local dealer has the one you want you might get that price! Just make sure you insist on total price including destination in the email so there is no argument on "the price." Just my three cents!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
wow that is amazing, blows my mind, I had no idea. Got my 09 a few weeks after they came out, before the recession, folks still reeling from $4 gas prices.
Yeah I was happy with the deal. Unfortunately Gov Arnold strong-armed me for 10% in sales tax on top of that!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I was happy with the deal. Unfortunately Gov Arnold strong-armed me for 10% in sales tax on top of that!
both the governator AND sales tax on steroids, who would have thought!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 PM

Thanks,
Future Fit Owner
About 2 weeks ago I paid $16,955, (includes destination charge) for a Fit Sport / AT. Plus $150 document, taxes and license of course.
Washington State.

When we asked about other colors than the dealer had he told us that typically dealers add all sorts of extras to push the price up and if he gets a car from another dealer he'd have to pay the jacked up price. better to make your deal and wait for a car to come in if need be.

The jack up dealers will say the invoice price is 17,355. Don't pay it. Most dealers in my area have a second sticker of around 20k. They want to bargain down to MSRP.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
I'd definitely suggest using some internet quote tool like Edmunds to see what you get, just because those typically go to a separate internet sales department, and if you're willing to travel try a nearby city.

Edmunds says invoice + destination for a fit sport is 17355. I think somewhere around invoice is a decent deal -- not the best you could do, but probably better than what a lot of people would get. If you can't get them to move lower on price, you might try to get them to throw in stuff for free or significantly reduced price (check out collegehills honda or bernardi to make sure they price they quote you for accessories is near those prices).

Old 05-08-2010, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Truecar.com

Truecar.com claims to have actual prices paid for recent sales, both by region and nationwide. I can't find any evidence in a quick web search that their prices aren't real, so you should be able to see what kind of pricing is achievable.

New Cars Pricing and Comparisons Local, Regional and National Car Price Reports at TrueCar

Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
Truecar.com claims to have actual prices paid for recent sales, both by region and nationwide. I can't find any evidence in a quick web search that their prices aren't real, so you should be able to see what kind of pricing is achievable.

New Cars Pricing and Comparisons Local, Regional and National Car Price Reports at TrueCar
I'd be willing to bet car dealers support that site, because those prices are much higher than what you should offer/pay. It shows $17,400 as the "great" price in my area on a fit sport a/t, but in reality that is the sucker price. You can easily save another grand by dealing with internet departments. Same thing on the base model, showing $15,900 as "great" but you can get them for $14,900 right now at my local dealer.

I like reading prices paid forums because there are always people paying too much, and some finding available deals. Some people don't care how much they pay.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'd be willing to bet car dealers support that site, because those prices are much higher than what you should offer/pay. It shows $17,400 as the "great" price in my area on a fit sport a/t, but in reality that is the sucker price. You can easily save another grand by dealing with internet departments. Same thing on the base model, showing $15,900 as "great" but you can get them for $14,900 right now at my local dealer.

I like reading prices paid forums because there are always people paying too much, and some finding available deals. Some people don't care how much they pay.
I think you have to keep in mind the differences in local area. You go to a low volume dealer in the middle of nowhere where they're the only option in a 50 mile radius, you're going to have a much harder time getting the price down than an area where you have 10 dealers in a 20 mile radius, some dealing with high volume (so the amount they make on any car is less significant, and they get a bigger benefit by keeping their volume up).

I also used dealt with internet departments when I was buying my car, and the best I could do with $300 under invoice (though that was during cash for clunkers, and I needed to buy ASAP).

Anyway, good luck OP!

Last edited by clicq; 05-08-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by clicq
I think you have to keep in mind the differences in local area. You go to a low volume dealer in the middle of nowhere where they're the only option in a 50 mile radius, you're going to have a much harder time getting the price down than an area where you have 10 dealers in a 20 mile radius, some dealing with high volume (so the amount they make on any car is less significant, and they get a bigger benefit by keeping their volume up).

I also used dealt with internet departments when I was buying my car, and the best I could do with $300 under invoice (though that was during cash for clunkers, and I needed to buy ASAP).

Anyway, good luck OP!
That site is area specific and I did look at my local zip code.

All I can say is that anywhere in the U.S., your total out the door after all taxes and fees should be less than MSRP. If they won't tell you the total out the door price then go to another dealer.

Remember for a moment that there is a HUGE freaking global recession going on, and every unit counts for car dealers. You are the one with the money who makes the decision. Just don't be a sucker.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by clicq

Anyway, good luck OP!
I think you're generally correct. The dealer where I got the $16,955 price sold 4 or 5 fits the day we were in there to buy ours. All the dealers I looked at though, were large suburban dealers that should have had high volumes as well. They were trying through various ploys to get full MSRP, One even suggested that the profit margin was so low that they had to have a little profit "to keep the lights on". You can probably imagine how the tears streamed down my cheeks at the thought of them being unable to pay the light bill. My salesman's thought was that you sell an entry level car like the Fit at a good price and when the time comes to buy that Oydessy van, or the top of the line Accord, you'll come back in and buy it from him.