2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1st 2009 Fit M/T Sport Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
My 1st 2009 Fit M/T Sport Problem

This morning when I started driving the Fit, there was a high pitch metal grinding noise at the rear wheels. Pull and release hand brake a few times make sure it is not on, same noise. Ended up getting a ride from my wife to work. Make an appointment on Thursday at the dealer to have it check out. Currently at 28,000 miles. Have me second guessing reliability of the Fit. Will keep you guys updated what's wrong.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Was the sound immediate or was it after driving a bit? Gosh either way I'm sorry to hear and hopefully it's an easy fix.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the handbrake is stuck. It might be as simple of a fix as applying some grease to the cable. Sorry to hear you've been inconvenienced though - that's the same whether the problem with the car is big or small.

I wouldn't write off Honda because of it though. Surely the "vw" in your name doesn't stand for volkswagen or you would be praising 28k with no problems!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Is it from both wheels?

I would at least remove a wheel to check and see what the cause is. Who knows, it might be some road debris jammed in there and that's not covered under warranty.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Noise Gone

I re-activated insurance on my other car so I can get to work tomorrow. I started the Fit and moved it out of the way so I can back the other car from the garage. It squealed for a while and all of a sudden the noise went away. May be it was some debris got stuck and fell off.
The weather is nice anyway. I might as well start driving my G20 again. Sharing duty with the Fit.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
How long was it sitting before it happened? Sounds like you had some flash rust going on.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Still at least pull off the rear drum you may have something loose in there. Spray some brake cleaner in there too. Worse case you clean out all that brake dust ha builds up.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by vwli
I re-activated insurance on my other car so I can get to work tomorrow. I started the Fit and moved it out of the way so I can back the other car from the garage. It squealed for a while and all of a sudden the noise went away. May be it was some debris got stuck and fell off.
The weather is nice anyway. I might as well start driving my G20 again. Sharing duty with the Fit.
Pull the wheel on the side squealing and see whaz-up. Drum brakes are real straight forward. First clue will be if you can't pull the drum. The shoes are worn into them and you'll need to back off the adjusters. I seriously doubt that 'debris' got stuck in them. Parking brake feeling a bit long in the tooth?? Another sign of brake wear, but at 28K you wouldn't think the rears would go, but you might just need new shoes. Be sure to do both sides and turn the drums as well - if they need or will take it.
K_C_

Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
I started the Fit and moved it out of the way so I can back the other car from the garage. It squealed for a while and all of a sudden the noise went away. May be it was some debris got stuck and fell off.
I had this over the winter and it was debris that just worked itself out very quickly. Freaked me out though. It's been fine ever since. The rims on these cars are pretty open to such things, it seems to me. If it's fine now, I would consider it was a little pebble or something that worked itself out. Good luck.

Dan

Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I had this over the winter and it was debris that just worked itself out very quickly. Freaked me out though. It's been fine ever since. The rims on these cars are pretty open to such things, it seems to me. If it's fine now, I would consider it was a little pebble or something that worked itself out. Good luck.

Dan
Agreed x10!! I had a bit of snow/ice accumulate in there after driving through a snow storm...the next day noticed it threw the wheel balance off so bad the car shook violently above 20mph. Freaked me out, but was an easy fix once I discovered the cause.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
Agreed x10!! I had a bit of snow/ice accumulate in there after driving through a snow storm...the next day noticed it threw the wheel balance off so bad the car shook violently above 20mph. Freaked me out, but was an easy fix once I discovered the cause.
I had that same thing happen while driving during a bad storm, of which we had many this past winter. Balance was off and the car shimmied badly. I was SO pissed and felt horrible that I destroyed my new Fit because of a bad desicion to trudge through that storm. Next day with some melting, it was fine and I learned from others here that this happens. Phew!

Come to think of it, another storm is when I got the debris in the wheel. Probably salt. But that screech threw me for a loop! Just a quick drive forward for about 100' and it worked itself out. Phew again!

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 05-25-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
Btw, I've also encountered that 'flash rust', but on the front brakes. It's clearly visable yellow. It happend over a three day rest- pretty freakin quick. Backing out, it didn't screech but it was a noisy rub, that's for sure. That quickly wore off after a couple of breaks during normal driving.

an