Acceleration Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Unhappy Acceleration Noise

I hope I am posting this in the right forum. I have had a problem lately where when I accelerate and reach about 5000rpms I hear a noise coming from the engine. It is almost a clicking noise. Does anyone know what this is?
I called the dealer but they said they would need to keep it for the weekend and that it wouldn't be covered under warranty so no loaner vehicle. I am hoping that I can get an idea of the problem so when I bring it in they don't try to take advantage.
Thanks!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
i have heard some say throw out bearing. there are actually videos on youtube that have heleped people define those sounds

Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same sound, when i accelerate hard..it sounds like ABS but it does sound like a cracking or rubbing

Old 09-11-2009, 05:15 PM
It can't be the throw-out because it is an automatic. Could it be that the gas I am using is a crappy quality? Maybe the fuel injectors are having a problem?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
you should edit your first post with the year and transmission then.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Well excuse me for not being specific enough. My car is a 2007 Honda Fit Sport and it has an automatic transmission. It emits a strange clicking noise when I accelerate around 5000rpms.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Juliet372
Well excuse me for not being specific enough. My car is a 2007 Honda Fit Sport and it has an automatic transmission. It emits a strange clicking noise when I accelerate around 5000rpms.
I dont know if you meant to, but you kind of come off as a dick in this post. The more info you give the easier it is for people to help you. There is no reason to be nasty.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think he is meaning to sound like a dick but is a person that is very frustrated.... I know that I would be if I was having a problem and had to face taking my car to a thieving dealership and the half ass mechanics that are more concerned with their pay checks than doing right by a customer..... I would put some quality fuel in the tank and add some fuel injector cleaner to rule out detonation first thing if it was my car and I was using cheap fuel.... If the injectors are clogging up and leaning out it could be pinging caused by the A/F ratio's lean condition compounded by low quality fuel..... I hope that I haven't come across as a dick, sorry if it appears that way.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by guitar_trance
Juliet372, you're new at this forum, eh? Let me warn you slightly in advance... some people who post @ FitFreak are a little overly sensitive, and not very accepting of opposing opinions on certain matters/issues! Some of the guys just get their wittle feewings hurt so easiwy.

(Seriously, not necessarily speaking of anyone in this particular thread)

Being fairly new myself, I found out the hard way! Why, just look at my silly "rep" bars. Now aren't I embarrassed? Well uh, on second thought, actually? No!

For the record, Juliet, I really don't see where you've been a dick... but that's just my opinion. If you can't get an answer here, just go somewhere else. There are plenty of people around the web (and yes, on this forum) who will answer your question, and you don't have to worry about walking on thin ice around them either!

Sorry I don't have an answer for your problem. Oh and, sorry if I assume you could be female simply because of your nick.
Are you serious man?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliet372
I hope I am posting this in the right forum. I have had a problem lately where when I accelerate and reach about 5000rpms I hear a noise coming from the engine. It is almost a clicking noise. Does anyone know what this is?
I called the dealer but they said they would need to keep it for the weekend and that it wouldn't be covered under warranty so no loaner vehicle. I am hoping that I can get an idea of the problem so when I bring it in they don't try to take advantage.
Thanks!!!
I'd guess "engine knock." Kind of like popcorn popping rapidly in a tin can. It may indicate a tank of bad gas, but it would have to be really bad for the engine control module (ECM) to be unable to compensate by retarding timing enough to eliminate the noise.

Try running through a tank gas from a different station, a nice clean shiny new gas station.

Also they shouldn't have to keep it over the weekend just to run engine diagnosis. Hook it up to the computer and read the codes should tell them what they need to know in a few minutes.

Try a different brand gas, and if the noise continues try a different Honda dealer. Tell them you need an engine knock diagnosed.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Another way to eliminate the engine knock hypothesis would be to fill up with premium gas; changing brands wouldn't hurt. If the noise goes away, it was knock, and the ECM may not be handling spark advance properly; if it doesn't (and I suspect it won't), at least you will have eliminated one possibility. A stock Fit engine should not knock on regular gas.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry to be stealing another thread, but I do have a similar problem. At the end of third gear, I can hear a loud noise of either air whistling out or grinding noise (not really sure). Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the time and the rpm is nothing high when it happens (below 3k). I thought it might be the vtech or something

Old 09-16-2009, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by psmo290
I'm sorry to be stealing another thread, but I do have a similar problem. At the end of third gear, I can hear a loud noise of either air whistling out or grinding noise (not really sure). Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the time and the rpm is nothing high when it happens (below 3k). I thought it might be the vtech or something

That's the sound of air being released through the turbo's blow-off valve. What? Oops wrong forum.

Sorry, I have no idea. Could you give more information: is this under power or after you let off on the accelerator (you say at the "end" of 3rd. I'm guessing this is right before you shift, before depressing the clutch, but could you specify?)

Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
That's the sound of air being released through the turbo's blow-off valve. What? Oops wrong forum.

Sorry, I have no idea. Could you give more information: is this under power or after you let off on the accelerator (you say at the "end" of 3rd. I'm guessing this is right before you shift, before depressing the clutch, but could you specify?)
My fit is an AT. The sound come when I'm still accelerating. It hear it at the end of 3rd gear and sometimes to the beginning of 4th if I'm pushing harder. Sorry for the layman's term, I'm not too familiar with how the engine and transmission operates

Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
My fit is an AT. The sound come when I'm still accelerating. It hear it at the end of 3rd gear and sometimes to the beginning of 4th if I'm pushing harder. Sorry for the layman's term, I'm not too familiar with how the engine and transmission operates
That coincides with what you were wondering about the VTEC transitioning at just shy of 3000 RPM..... It sounds like your car is shifting right about the time that your engine is responding to the activation of all of the intake valves and when the revs drop after shifting gears half are deactivated and activated again as you regain revs.... Yep, it could well be the VTEC.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 AM
Mine dose the same thing o9base at only in the top of third bottom of forth it kinda sounds like a piece of grass being blown lol sorry idk how else to discribe it I think it's normal thoe but it freaked me ou the first time I heard it getting on the freeway

Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by crash001
Mine dose the same thing o9base at only in the top of third bottom of forth it kinda sounds like a piece of grass being blown lol sorry idk how else to discribe it I think it's normal thoe but it freaked me ou the first time I heard it getting on the freeway
I narrowed it down even more now after almost half a year with the car. It only happens when the engine is still somewhat cold and also with the air conditioning on. It didn't happen at all during winter when I didn't use the AC.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
keep in mind a heat shield.
My 07 drove me nuts, finally determined to be the heat shield on the exhaust manifold.
These particular issues tend to happen at specific RPM(s) regardless of gear or speed.

Juliet372, I have a question!
Stopped, not moving your car, does it make the noise in neutral/park if you blip the throttle and rev to 5000RPM?
If so I may be able to help you locate the noise.

Last edited by Tork; 02-19-2010 at 10:14 PM.