2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

got into a tiny accident =[

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:51 AM
got into a tiny accident =[

so im driving home at 3am after a club and i was pretty sleepy, i start dozing off and accidently bump into a big riggs tires >< i got a scratch on the door molding and side skirt on the right side. no big deal i can always get new moldings + mugen side skirts later, but i got orange colored marks on the side of my car i cant seem to wash off =[ does anybody know if that'll buff out? also, my right side view mirror is kind of slanted up =[ oh and its a tw ge8 so the orange tire burn looking marks kind of show a bit x.x

Old 06-11-2010, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
That sucks, glad you and your fit are ok. Try using a claybar kit to remove the orange colored marks.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
try buffing it out. what's the worst that happens, it looks the same as when you started? claybar could work.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phuccer
so im driving home at 3am after a club and i was pretty sleepy, i start dozing off and accidently bump into a big riggs tires >< i got a scratch on the door molding and side skirt on the right side. no big deal i can always get new moldings + mugen side skirts later, but i got orange colored marks on the side of my car i cant seem to wash off =[ does anybody know if that'll buff out? also, my right side view mirror is kind of slanted up =[ oh and its a tw ge8 so the orange tire burn looking marks kind of show a bit x.x
Without some pictures, it's hard to say if the damage penetrated the base coat/clear coat. I would start with polishing compound and swirl it on with a wet cloth. If that doesn't help, I would leave it to a professional detailer, or worst case it may need to be resprayed by a body shop. Make sure they blend the entire side. Don't make the mistake of spraying only an individual panel, it has to be blended into the panels around the damage, or a discerning eye will spot it immediately. If your mirror is intact and not cracked, most likely the supporting structure of the door itself has been bent/stretched. If you remove the mirror itself, that damage will be visible and can be straightened with a rubber hammer, so the mirror can be re-installed in its meant position.

Sounds like it could have been much worse. Mine got totaled two weeks ago, Memorial Day evening. I work as a bondsman in inner-city Baltimore, and was T-boned by an uninsured, underaged, unlicensed driver who bailed out and ran right into the hands of some narcotic agents effecting an arrest right down the street. Though he was caught, I'm still left going through my uninsured motorist coverage. Initially, the insurance stated the damage was $8,900. Upon teardown, the engine had tore off its mounts and shifted, and the damage exceeded $15,500, so I was left with a total loss. Really, I'm grateful the vehicle was unrepairable. Had the impact occured squarely on my driver door, I would have likely been killed (he hit me squarely on the driver side wheel, pushing it in nearly 90 degrees). At the end of the day, I give Honda a lot of credit. The curtain air bag and driver seat airbag deployed as designed, and I got to go home that night. My only injury was a sore shoulder and I couldn't hear well out my left ear for nearly two days.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
^your right. without pics its hard to really see what to do here.

Is there any legal action you can take aganist that kid? I dont know too much about all the insurance stuff but i would think you could do something.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badself
uninsured, underaged, unlicensed driver
That part really chaps my hide. There are estimates that 40% of the drivers in my area are uninsured. They really need to crack down on that.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loubob57
That part really chaps my hide. There are estimates that 40% of the drivers in my area are uninsured. They really need to crack down on that.

That's insane! Honestly here in jersey unless your in the area where there are a lot of illegal Mexicans most people are all insured.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ciggy
That's insane! Honestly here in jersey unless your in the area where there are a lot of illegal Mexicans most people are all insured.
Why do you think they require the honest driver to carry uninsured motorists insurance? Somebody has to pay for these a-holes!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:14 PM
hmm thanks for the help guys, i think claybar may work, it doesnt seem like the paint is damaged or anything ill get some pics as soon as i can

Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
ohhh and since my cell phone is charging and i cant get pics up yet, i thought i'd explain a little more in detail if it helps.

when i got out of my car to check for damages, there was black stuff smeared all over the spots that rubbed against the tire. pretty much all the black stuff just washed right off but left orange-ish smears.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I am assuming the truck was moving when this happened. Anyway the black was rubber that came off the truck tires and it sounds like it burned your paint. Much like when you use a high speed polisher and don't move enough and burn through the paint. I would bet the car will need resprayed in that area. I would suggest blending but as it isn't a metallic paint it probably won't be needed if you are paying out of pocket. Good luck and hopefully things work out.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by dtmbmw325i
I am assuming the truck was moving when this happened. Anyway the black was rubber that came off the truck tires and it sounds like it burned your paint. Much like when you use a high speed polisher and don't move enough and burn through the paint. I would bet the car will need resprayed in that area. I would suggest blending but as it isn't a metallic paint it probably won't be needed if you are paying out of pocket. Good luck and hopefully things work out.
ahhh man i hope thats not the case =[

Old 06-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Try goo be gone or a clay bar my neibor cleaned her blowout up with a SOS pad a kitchen soap and her whole fender looked like crap but the fits paint job sucks so good luck

Old 06-11-2010, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
sounds like a dui scenario. as for the orange stuff idk, you could try and polish it out if the stuff isnt scuffed into the paint.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:44 PM
This happened to me one time. A dude without insurance crashed into my car. What I did was to call my insurance and report the crash then the insurance lawyers came and sued (did I spell it correctly) that guys ass for the whole amount of the damage. To make sure he payed they confiscated his car and if he couldn't pay for the damages they would sell his car and use that money to pay. It took some time but I got my money. It PAYS to be insured, otherwise you crash into a Mercedez or something and you better start selling your ass on the corner to get the money.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
pics or it didnt happen.

i have tw touch up paint

Old 06-13-2010, 01:05 PM
okay, so i took it to an repair place near my house, they fixed the mirror for free and got almost all of the orange spots off. there is still a tiny bit which cant be removed but im going to try some rubbing compound and some paint touch up to get it back to normal. also, i got some splattered dry rubber on my side view mirror, would bug and tar remover get that off without messing my paint up?