2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First "road trip" with fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 AM
First "road trip" with fit

thought id share even tho you all probzz dont care

i drove up to Arlington Va today, about 2hrs away from where i am.

then there was an accident on the way back so my gps took me on some sketch ass bum back roads to get on Jefferson Davis highway (not really a "highway") which i was on for about 60 miles. for those virginiaers that know that road IT IS SOOOO LOONG AND BORRING! especially at 1 in the morning... you just drive straight forever, no stop lights. i was the only car on the road so i had some fun but safely of course!

used my cruise control for the first time, saw some interesting rice mobiles, almost got ran off the road by 2 trucks when i was trying to merge on 64, i thought i could speed in front of them but then the lane ended... it was a nice ride tho and glad it was in my fit. but my butt hurts!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:55 AM
I know the area well, as I live in Arl. Driving the fit is never boring as long as your jamming to good music!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
I hear ya, the seats in the Fit aren't too good for long distances. I fell out of mine after a 3 hour trip because my butt/legs were numb. LOL

Other than that, the Fit is a stellar road trip car. About how many miles did you drive and how much fuel did you use?

Old 06-27-2010, 03:41 AM
it was like 105 miles there (says google) and the way i went back probably added about 20 on the way back so around 220-230 total also a few from driving around to find a place to eat once i was there, i also took a wrong ramp the way there, bridges are soo confusing! but only used half a tank! but what amazes me more is i still havent broken 3k yet!

my waist down is so sore right now hahaha but i was also crammed in between 2 fatties on a bleacher for 2 hrs before i left

Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Did you happen to notice your Avg MPG? I just took mine on its first trip out of town last night. Anchorage to Wasilla, about 45 minutes one way. I did 55 ~ 60 MPH, which was a good deal slower than everyone else but better for mileage. I had just passed 1,000 miles this week. The drive has some moderate hills on the highway. I managed to get to 40.9 Avg MPG.

I got home just before midnight and had just turned on the headlights for the first time. I couldn't tell that the headlights did anything because it was still too bright out, but didn't want to be considered illegal since the clouds were making it darker than usual.

Raouf: How did you think the headlights performed? I hear people complain about them often.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM
i was too tired to look at it haha, and i havent drove at all today.

my headlights worked fine, i noticed they arent lined up evenly tho so that annoyed me the whole way back. i also used my brights some and they worked just as well as any other would... there was some moonlight and my eyes had adjusted to the dark some but the light was fine. also i never noticed the wideness of light the fogs put out.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Raouf
thought id share even tho you all probzz dont care

i drove up to Arlington Va today, about 2hrs away from where i am.

then there was an accident on the way back so my gps took me on some sketch ass bum back roads to get on Jefferson Davis highway (not really a "highway") which i was on for about 60 miles. for those virginiaers that know that road IT IS SOOOO LOONG AND BORRING! especially at 1 in the morning... you just drive straight forever, no stop lights. i was the only car on the road so i had some fun but safely of course!

used my cruise control for the first time, saw some interesting rice mobiles, almost got ran off the road by 2 trucks when i was trying to merge on 64, i thought i could speed in front of them but then the lane ended... it was a nice ride tho and glad it was in my fit. but my butt hurts!!!
Take care on the merges - you're ride should be returning some nice MPG's about now. I know that highway and you can really just roll along. I've done 3X400M each way trips in my 2010mtSport plus a bunch of lesser trips and loved every mile of it. Cruise Control is the smoothest I've ever driven - it's the "Drive By Wire" set-up I'm sure.

Try reclining the seat a bit more than you might be accustom to. I needed to find the sweet spot fore and aft as well. W/ cruise I slide my foot up the fire wall under the pedals for comfort - I also do most of my driving wearing crocks.

K_C_

Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 PM
yea i had my seat up more straight than usual cause i figured it would help me keep awake and more alert. i was scared that i would fall asleep but i was fine

when i was in drivers ed way back when they said that smoking cigarettes would help you keep awake... so i bought a pack just to be safe (oh the irony) and smoked one for the first time in years. yuckk haha. if anything it made me more tired.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Raouf
yea i had my seat up more straight than usual cause i figured it would help me keep awake and more alert. i was scared that i would fall asleep but i was fine

when i was in drivers ed way back when they said that smoking cigarettes would help you keep awake... so i bought a pack just to be safe (oh the irony) and smoked one for the first time in years. yuckk haha. if anything it made me more tired.
Oh man - what ya doing smoking and smoking in a new car = you crazy. Only thing is sleep or coffee - but not smoking dude.

That st will kill you.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 PM
im planning on driving from NY to Chicago in august. its about 800 miles and should take around 12-13hrs

any tips? =D

Old 06-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Oh man - what ya doing smoking and smoking in a new car = you crazy. Only thing is sleep or coffee - but not smoking dude.

That st will kill you.
i know man, i had like half of one was like f this. i gave the rest to my neighbor today i wanted to see if it would actually help but didnt...

Originally Posted by prio
im planning on driving from NY to Chicago in august. its about 800 miles and should take around 12-13hrs

any tips? =D
dont go alone, i was so bored! jammin loud music is always fun when alone tho

i wore gym shorts for the ride and that helped with comfort. i wish i bought an extra shirt tho cause just sitting in the ac driving for 2 hrs gave me some gnarly pit stains which is not the most comfortable ride... i seem to sweat a lot tho...

Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Just to throw my .02 out there. I have over 14K on my Fit now. Probably half of that has been road trips (I work two miles from home). Detroit and back... Pittsburgh and back..etc. Saturday we took a 3.5hr road trip to a town just east of Pittsburgh for my wife's grandpa's bday. Averaged 38 mpg's on the way out rolling 70-75mph and the 3.5 hrs back we averaged 37.5 mpg's (We hit some major rain and water ponding on the freeway). Other that that it was a good trip. We too suffered from soar bums. That was the first time we really noticed our bums were soar. I kinda blame it from just sitting a lot all day in general (even when not driving). Just make sure you stretch when ever you take a pit stop.
As for the headlight comment above. I upgraded my headlight bulbs to Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra's and yellow fogs and didn't have any problems seeing. I highly recommend upgrading the stock bulbs. I personally think the stock bulbs don't cut it. Sylvania's Silverstars are also a good bulb.

Safe travels everyone.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-28-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prio

any tips? =D
We live in MI less than 2 hrs from Chi Town. My wife and I took the car to Newark NJ for our first road trip. Then took public transportation to NYC. It's the same stretch of road you'd take. I-80/90. We averaged ~ 40 mpg and took about 12 hours with traffic and food.

We did not mind the seats at all. The car was great. It ain't your grandmas Lincoln though that's for sure.

We hadn't owned the 2010 base for one week when we did our road trip. Love that car.