2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Hate/Hack the USB Audio Interface?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nukedog
I just wished our USB would charge the Ipod like the one in my GMC
does on mine. What iPod do you have

Mine Charges:
5G video,
Touch 1G
nano 1g,2g,3g,4g
mini 1g

~SB

Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
does on mine. What iPod do you have

Mine Charges:
5G video,
Touch 1G
nano 1g,2g,3g,4g
mini 1g

~SB
Charges my 16 gb Nano & my son's 250 GB Ipod Classic

Old 03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
I just got my fit, and this is my main gripe with it. OP, you said navigating 32GB of music is hard -- try 100GB. It took my 5 minutes to get to "Sublime", and you can't scroll backwards (starting at Z), Anyone know of any after-market audio decks that can fit in a 2010 Fit sport?

Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Coppatop85
I just got my fit, and this is my main gripe with it. OP, you said navigating 32GB of music is hard -- try 100GB. It took my 5 minutes to get to "Sublime", and you can't scroll backwards (starting at Z), Anyone know of any after-market audio decks that can fit in a 2010 Fit sport?
Just got to Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras and select your vehicle. You will see a list of decks that will fit in your 2010 FIT Sport. There is a range of price/features available.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Most any single or double-din head unit will fit just fine. Crutchfield is a good resource and sends most everything you need to hook it up. i'd recommend going with a double-din stereo so it fills up the entire dash and doesn't leave you with a "cubby" underneath the head unit. also usually makes navigation easier if you have more room to put controls.

~SB

PS, I think I have a refer-a-friend code which gets you $20 off your first purchase over a certain amount (might be $150 or $200). PM me if interested and I'll try and dig it out.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Sansa Sandisk mp3 player. Anyone ever get one of those to work on the regular stereo? I have a 2011 Sport.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
One trick I use is to select the music on your iPod before plugging it in to the USB cable. This has limited usefulness,but it helps somewhat.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Most any single or double-din head unit will fit just fine. Crutchfield is a good resource and sends most everything you need to hook it up. i'd recommend going with a double-din stereo so it fills up the entire dash and doesn't leave you with a "cubby" underneath the head unit. also usually makes navigation easier if you have more room to put controls.

~SB

PS, I think I have a refer-a-friend code which gets you $20 off your first purchase over a certain amount (might be $150 or $200). PM me if interested and I'll try and dig it out.
With a double DIN receiver what happens to the hazard and Passenger Airbag Light?
I would like to replace my radio with a Double DIN if possible. It will look much better,and probably be easier to operate.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
With a double DIN receiver what happens to the hazard and Passenger Airbag Light?
I would like to replace my radio with a Double DIN if possible. It will look much better,and probably be easier to operate.
the Dash Kit that comes with these (at least if you buy from crutchfield) I believe has relocation spots for them. Check out the Aftermarket installs in the In Car entertainment section for some pics.

~SB

Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
My solution was to install an Alpine CDA-150. $150 from Crutchfield and it comes with everything needed to install it. You have to relocate the passenger airbag light but that's easy.

Name:  DSCF7230Custom.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  61.6 KB

Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
My solution was to install an Alpine CDA-150. $150 from Crutchfield and it comes with everything needed to install it. You have to relocate the passenger airbag light but that's easy.

Thanks for the info. I am looking at a receivers on Crutchfield and have decided that I want Bluetooth. I have a few more questions.
1. Was the install difficult? I cannot seem to find how to remove the radio,but am sure that Crutchfield will supply instructions.
2. When you say it was easy to relocate the passenger airbag light,did you have to do any modification to the dash kit?
3. Did you keep the factory speakers,or upgrade them? If so,what speakers did you get? Looking at speakers on Crutchfield,I'm thinking of possibly going with $50 a pair replacement speakers or leaving the stock ones,and a powered under the seat sub.
4.Did you need an antenna adaptor for the radio, and if so was there an additional charge for it?
5. How do you have your iPod connected? It looks like the cable comes out of the rear of the radio. Will it feed into the upper storage area?
I really appreciate any feedback.
My primary reason for wanting to change the radio is for better iPod control and display. I hate to spend the money and swore I wouldn't mess with the radio,but am finding the iPod integration poor after nearly 6 months with my Fit. I was looking at a double din unit, but the cost is much more for what I want.

Last edited by LLLC1393; 05-02-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
1. Was the install difficult? I cannot seem to find how to remove the radio,but am sure that Crutchfield will supply instructions.
The instillation wasn't difficult if you are reasonably handy with some tools. You have to take the upper glove box cover off (two screws) and then take out a bolt that is a PITA to reach but doable. then gently pry the bezzle off.

The instructions are included. If you pull the little plate the USB cable for the current iPod input is on you can (with a bit of cursing and reaching around all through the dash) get the old cable out, then snake the new one into the same spot. You will need to unclip the lower glovebox to do that. You squeeze the sides and it flips all the way down, there are just rubber stoppers to hold it up.

You will also have to have a wire stripper and either crimps or some soldering tools so you can make the head unit to Honda adapter. This is typical for any head unit install though, since they all use different plugs.

2. When you say it was easy to relocate the passenger airbag light,did you have to do any modification to the dash kit?
You have to cut some electrical tape that holds the wires for the airbag light to the wires for the hazards switch. Piece of cake.

3. Did you keep the factory speakers,or upgrade them? If so,what speakers did you get? Looking at speakers on Crutchfield,I'm thinking of possibly going with $50 a pair replacement speakers or leaving the stock ones,and a powered under the seat sub.
I have left the factory speakers for now. The original head unit has a built in EQ that you cannot disable that gets rid of all the mids. The factory speakers are OK as they are. I will probably replace them in the future.

4.Did you need an antenna adaptor for the radio, and if so was there an additional charge for it?
Crutchfield included everything I needed, including the antenna adapter and the wireing harness adapter.

5. How do you have your iPod connected? It looks like the cable comes out of the rear of the radio. Will it feed into the upper storage area?
It sure will. The alpine came with a 6.5' USB cable to extend the short one and an 8" ipod to usb cable as well.

I really appreciate any feedback.
My primary reason for wanting to change the radio is for better iPod control and display. I hate to spend the money and swore I wouldn't mess with the radio,but am finding the iPod integration poor after nearly 6 months with my Fit. I was looking at a double din unit, but the cost is much more for what I want.
The control for the iPod on the alpine is is much better. The display though is a bit of a setback. With the angle and height the head unit installs in the fit you are right at the angle the text display is hard to see. You have to sit up and forward to see it. Not a big deal for me since I don't like extra displays anyway, I find them distracting.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Are you sure it's not the CDA-105?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Are you sure it's not the CDA-105?
It sure is the CDA-105. That's what happens with dyslexia.

Should have checked the box, which happens to be sitting right in front of me, before I posted.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
It sure is the CDA-105. That's what happens with dyslexia.

Should have checked the box, which happens to be sitting right in front of me, before I posted.
Thanks for the detailed reply! My only problem is the lack of bluetooth. I can't see buying a pricey adaptor,but I CAN always do that later I suppose. The more expensive Alpine WITH built in BT, does not come with the iPod cable. I'm thinking I don't talk on the phone that much in the car,and can stick with a BT earpiece.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the detailed reply! My only problem is the lack of bluetooth. I can't see buying a pricey adaptor,but I CAN always do that later I suppose. The more expensive Alpine WITH built in BT, does not come with the iPod cable. I'm thinking I don't talk on the phone that much in the car,and can stick with a BT earpiece.
Just be forewarned it's only an 18wpc head unit. Although this is still more than the stock one as far as I can tell.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Just be forewarned it's only an 18wpc head unit. Although this is still more than the stock one as far as I can tell.
18 watts seems like enough for me. I'm sure it's more than the stock unit.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
LLLC what's your Budget?

The Double-Din Head units with bluetooth that I'd look at/consider are the clarion 501 and the Pioneer p8000 without going too high in cost for double-Din units. the JVC R810 doesn't look too bad and it has USB/iPod in the Rear.

~SB

Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
LLLC what's your Budget?

The Double-Din Head units with bluetooth that I'd look at/consider are the clarion 501 and the Pioneer p8000 without going too high in cost for double-Din units. the JVC R810 doesn't look too bad and it has USB/iPod in the Rear.

~SB
I would like to keep it under $200 for the H/U is possible,so I'm thinking single DIN and BT is optional. That way I can save some money for speakers or a powered under the seat sub (or both). I haven't done a radio replacement in about 12 years so I will need to pick up some install accessories as well. I like the Alpine CDA-105 for the iPod friendly display and decent sized buttons/controls. The price on that one seems very reasonable for what you get. The Pioneer and Kenwood units seem to have pitifully small buttons that are difficult to read,especially at night. I listen to my iPod nearly all of the time,opting for the radio rarely and the CD never. So my focus is on iPod integration. I like having the aux in on my stock radio,but will not need it if I get better iPod control through the radio. Same goes for USB audio. I do appreciate the suggestions, and will keep looking a little longer.
EDIT: The Clarion 501 looks like a good compromise in price with BT...

Last edited by LLLC1393; 05-02-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
I would like to keep it under $200 for the H/U is possible,so I'm thinking single DIN and BT is optional. That way I can save some money for speakers or a powered under the seat sub (or both). I haven't done a radio replacement in about 12 years so I will need to pick up some install accessories as well. I like the Alpine CDA-105 for the iPod friendly display and decent sized buttons/controls. The price on that one seems very reasonable for what you get. The Pioneer and Kenwood units seem to have pitifully small buttons that are difficult to read,especially at night. I listen to my iPod nearly all of the time,opting for the radio rarely and the CD never. So my focus is on iPod integration. I like having the aux in on my stock radio,but will not need it if I get better iPod control through the radio. Same goes for USB audio. I do appreciate the suggestions, and will keep looking a little longer.
EDIT: The Clarion 501 looks like a good compromise in price with BT...
I've had 3 clarion Head Units and been very happy with all. The Double-Din makes a big difference as far as he look as well as providing a little more space for readability on the screen. Navigation on all of these will be much better than the OE headunit (as it sucks) and as for install. if your last one was 12 years ago, you'll be just fine as not much has changed. (speaker wires, 12V constant, 12V Switched, Aux/PAntenna illumination, and maybe a few others) Crutchfield will provide the harness, adapters, etc... so you are all set there. All of the Hondas I've owned have had speakers that were better than the OE stereo so just upgrading the HU makes a noticeable difference. It's a balance because if you go too cheap on the HU, any decent speakers you get will never be able to be pushed to their fullest potential. if you are going to Err in one direction, err on the side of spending more on the HU than the speakers so any you do get, will be utilized to their fullest.

If you can, do the sub at the same time as the HU so you don't have to pull it out again to run wires. (or when doing the install at least the two RCA cables and the remote turn on lead (single small gauge wire) for the sub so it'll make a sub install easier later.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 05-02-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Hate/Hack the USB Audio Interface?