2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate/Hack the USB Audio Interface?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
It would be IDEAL if APPLE partnered with an automaker (Honda? ahem) and integrated Ipod functions in the stock radio the way Microsoft did with Sync and Ford.

Ah, in a perfect world....

Old 12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drumsauce
I too, like the integration of the USB cable with my Nav. Slow? yes. But I don't have a problem with the time it take to find an artist and play. Or, I just find a playlist that I want to listen to. Although it isn't perfect, compared to other stock units on other cars, this one does a decent job.

Agree with previous posters for your solution, OP:
1. replace head unit with one DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY for an Ipod (expensive, but it would solve ALL of the problems you listed)
OR
2. use an AUX cable and control the functions from your Ipod. A little less ergonomic, but would also eliminate many of the complaints you listed.

Good luck!
A replacement head unit does not need to be expensive to do what he wants. He could certainly get the artwork on the display as well. Crutchfield is a great place to look.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:29 PM
The USB/iPod interface was one of the selling points for me on the car. I commute a lot and listen to a TON of audiobooks.

After a week of trying to make it work as it is supposed to according to the manual, I am going back to the mini-jack input cable. As it is set up now, I think it is more dangerous to try and use this system on the road then it is to just use the iPod to get to what you want to listen to.

Also, be careful of disconnecting your iPod to choose what you want to hear and the putting it back on the glove box interface. Doing this jammed my iPod, and I had to wait until I got home to reset it. Frustrating.

Zach

Old 12-07-2010, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drumsauce
It would be IDEAL if APPLE partnered with an automaker (Honda? ahem) and integrated Ipod functions in the stock radio the way Microsoft did with Sync and Ford.

Ah, in a perfect world....
Yeah,then Apple updates the iPod and your car radio is not current. Apple loves to make changes that eventually force you to get new hardware. This system seems to work pretty well. It is FREE with the car. Ford Sync is a premium options that requires other options to get it. Just somethings to consider. All in all,my Fit has alot for the price. Now if Acura made a version...

Old 12-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Free interface?

My Honda dealer wants to charge me $260 for the USB audio interface. What's up with that? Where can I find a cheaper aftermarket interface? This is a 2010 Fit Sport. The connection's there in the glove box, but I need this extra part to use it: 2010 Honda Fit - Accessory Detail - Official Honda Web site

Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
For #4 if you hold the display button is displays the rest of the title. Figured this out just a few weeks ago!!!!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sixthj
My Honda dealer wants to charge me $260 for the USB audio interface. What's up with that? Where can I find a cheaper aftermarket interface? This is a 2010 Fit Sport. The connection's there in the glove box, but I need this extra part to use it: 2010 Honda Fit - Accessory Detail - Official Honda Web site
I'm confused. YOur 2010 Fit SPort should have come standard with the USB audio interface int he glovebox. If it didn't,the dealer or Honda should upgrade you to it for free imo. Please clarify.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
I'm happy with it, since I can use pandora through the iPod connecter.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
I'm confused. YOur 2010 Fit SPort should have come standard with the USB audio interface int he glovebox. If it didn't,the dealer or Honda should upgrade you to it for free imo. Please clarify.
I'm confused, too! the dealer showed me the cord that is in the glovebox. It has a mini tip, such as comes on the end of a headset/earbuds. Then the dealer said to use it I need a USB interface to plug into that, and it costs extra. see link on the Honda site describing the part they want to sell me: 2010 Honda Fit - Accessory Detail - Official Honda Web site

thanks for your advice!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm confused, too! the dealer showed me the cord that is in the glovebox. It has a mini tip, such as comes on the end of a headset/earbuds. Then the dealer said to use it I need a USB interface to plug into that, and it costs extra. see link on the Honda site describing the part they want to sell me: 2010 Honda Fit - Accessory Detail - Official Honda Web site

thanks for your advice!
You do not need anything extra--I have a 2010 Sport--you do need to use the ipod's usb adapter/charger and then plug into the Fit's usb cord. You cannot plug an ipod in directly.

I like the usb interface. The ipod controls are not the easiest & cumbersome if you have a huge playlist., but I also have songs that I copied to flash drives & love that you can do that as well.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member

thanks for your advice!
Point your dealer to the 2010 info for the fit sport and show them it has a USB interface standard. take a flash drive with you and ask them where you plug it in. when they can't figure it out, have them show you on a new model. the sport & Base now both come with the usb port so any new fit will work. then ask them why your model doesn't have it when every fit sport was sold STOCK with the USB interface.

ANY AND EVERY fit sport should have a USB Plug for a flash drive. to hook up an ipod, you need to use the USB cable that came with your iPod. That part you are linking to comes standard on every fit sport. EVERY 2009+ sport... EVERY one. emphasize to the dealer this point.

If they can't figure it out... find another dealer.

~SB

Old 03-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know what brand of Flash drive will work in the USB port. I find the details listed in the manual are not the information that is usually listed with the product. like FAT file and no security. Have been googling for hours trying to figure this out. thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Which brand? Probably all of them- I just got a generic 8 gb one from Staples, dumped 300 CDs on it and it's working fine. But probably can't require a password to unlock it. They cost ten bucks, no sense driving yourself nuts about it.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Same here. Just bought the cheapest 16GB stick. Works fine.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
My current frustration is that I want to play audio content from my Android phone using the AUX in, and charge it at the same time from the USB cable. Doesn't work! For some reason, they are considered the same input by the head unit (NAV), and when something is plugged into the USB cable, it takes priority over the AUX in. Ugh.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 PM
For five bucks you can buy something that plugs into the power port and has a usb on the other end.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Irish4199
Just use the a $5 audio cable and connect your iPod to the audio input on the dash.

Now all your features work.
this isn't an option if you don't want to lose your battery over a long trip. I like the USB to charge while I listen. I totally agree with the OP. Unless I already have the artist/song picked out before hooking up to USB, scrolling through on the dash bites.

but...I am very glad that I have the USB hookup to play my ipod. I no longer have to lug around my cds, which is brilliant!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mhrivnak
My current frustration is that I want to play audio content from my Android phone using the AUX in, and charge it at the same time from the USB cable. Doesn't work! For some reason, they are considered the same input by the head unit (NAV), and when something is plugged into the USB cable, it takes priority over the AUX in. Ugh.
I think you can just press the Aux input button again and it will kick over to the headphone jack. I've had my flash drive plugged in to the usb port and had my wife play her ipod on the Aux jack. all I had to do was press Aux a 2nd time.

Edit - I missed it was the NAV that you have - I have the stock HU.

~SB

Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
Point your dealer to the 2010 info for the fit sport and show them it has a USB interface standard. take a flash drive with you and ask them where you plug it in. when they can't figure it out, have them show you on a new model. the sport & Base now both come with the usb port so any new fit will work. then ask them why your model doesn't have it when every fit sport was sold STOCK with the USB interface.

ANY AND EVERY fit sport should have a USB Plug for a flash drive. to hook up an ipod, you need to use the USB cable that came with your iPod. That part you are linking to comes standard on every fit sport. EVERY 2009+ sport... EVERY one. emphasize to the dealer this point.

If they can't figure it out... find another dealer.

~SB
I wouldn't even give them the benefit of a doubt by asking them repeatedly. Just find a new dealer ASAP. If they are trying to scam you about a standard feature, which is also listed on the window sticker, then god only knows what else they would try to scam you on. Run and don't look back.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I just wished our USB would charge the Ipod like the one in my GMC

Quick Reply: Hate/Hack the USB Audio Interface?