2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test pipe / Cat swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
There was no such thing as acid rain or self service stations in Dallas before 1972 which was the year that lead free fuel and catalytic converters were introduced..... I was managing a service station at the time on Harry Hines Blvd.
Catalytic converters were introduced in the 1975 model year cars in the US.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Why bother? Seriously.

It's like draining engine oil into your yard. It's dumb.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Why bother? Seriously.

It's like draining engine oil into your yard. It's dumb.
why bother with what?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Actually J's does have a piece, only available in Ti. It sheds another 6.25lbs of weight as well. Our cars have 2 cats as it is, if you remove the secondary cat, you are still left with the cat right off the cast in manifold. So you are not catless completely and still emitting cleaner exhaust to satisfy THOSE people, yet they will never be satisified I guess. They seem like the types that just believe all that is presented to them if presented by the government.

Name:  GEfront.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  10.3 KB

Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
Lyon, I'm surprised to see you giving advice on the test pipe route. It's not unlike the drop-in HID debate whereby someone's wanting to do some mod for their benefit but whose negative impacts are borne by everyone else.
I gotta pick my battles. PNP HID lights have a direct and observable effect on others. I have not been drawn in to the whole 'save the environment' fad yet. I have not seen enough data to convince me there is a serious threat to mankinds well being. We have no polution problems and I live in a city with both a coal and natural gas power plant. If you pack an area with 10 million people and hundreds of miles of pavement of course the air is going to be crap. Move out of the city and suddenly you'll breathe better. Population is the problem, not pollution. Climate change is a fact of our environment. Even if hypothetically man DOES cause climate change.. so what? The global temperature has shifted over 40 degrees in the past and yet life still goes on... If you cause one organism to go extinct another evolves to fill in the new niche. Sudden unexpected climate change is a fact of this world's history, just ask the dinosaurs. If it was not for the sudden climate change that caused their extinction we would not be around.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 07-08-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Actually J's does have a piece, only available in Ti. It sheds another 6.25lbs of weight as well. Our cars have 2 cats as it is, if you remove the secondary cat, you are still left with the cat right off the cast in manifold. So you are not catless completely and still emitting cleaner exhaust to satisfy THOSE people, yet they will never be satisified I guess. They seem like the types that just believe all that is presented to them if presented by the government.
Insane rant again? Soichiro Honda was one of "THOSE people" as you put it, if you happen to know the history of Honda.

Seriously though, if you drive in traffic, catalytic converters are a common courtesy and keep people behind you from smelling nauseous fumes. Of course if your are the type to smoke or fart in a crowded place, then you don't mind negatively impacting others around you.

Last edited by jondotcom; 07-08-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Catalytic converters were introduced in the 1975 model year cars in the US.
I wonder why I was helping my former brother in law remove one from his 73 F-100 and I also had to do the same to my 73 Rabbit. They were in use on all cars in the U.S. in 1975.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jondotcom
Insane rant again? Soichiro Honda was one of "THOSE people" as you put it, if you happen to know the history of Honda.

Seriously though, if you drive in traffic, catalytic converters are a common courtesy and keep people behind you from smelling nauseous fumes. Of course if your are the type to smoke or fart in a crowded place, then you don't mind negatively impacting others around you.
Insane rant? You take what I said as a rant? , well you saying it is just dumb and comparing it to pouring used oil in your yard is actually quite dumb. Or should I call it a rant as well, since you too were expressing your opinion.

I actually do know the history of Mr. Honda, it's why one of my sons is named Soichiro. Also I guess you missed the part that the Fit comes with 2 cats and cars without cats are still cleaner today then they were just 2 decades ago.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I wonder why I was helping my former brother in law remove one from his 73 F-100 and I also had to do the same to my 73 Rabbit. They were in use on all cars in the U.S. in 1975.
Time warp perhaps. The VW Rabbit was introduced to the US market in the 1975 model year. My 1974 Ford F-100 (USDM 302 engine) and 1974 Ford Torino (USDM 302 engine) had no catalytic converters.

Last edited by spreadhead; 07-09-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 PM

thats also 650 bucks. way outta my league

and where are the two cats? the one that backs up to the manifold and then one right after that? or is it further down on the bpipe or whatever the stock piping is called?

Last edited by TFREEfit; 07-08-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Insane rant? You take what I said as a rant?
Just jokin' with you man. I think removing one is a good compromise

Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 PM
There's no such thing as acid rain, it's called acid disposition.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TFREEfit
thats also 650 bucks. way outta my league

and where are the two cats? the one that backs up to the manifold and then one right after that? or is it further down on the bpipe or whatever the stock piping is called?
There is the one bolted up to the cast in manifold, a small one, but it is still one and then there is a more conventional one on the down pipe (the part I showed in the pic), before the mid(b)-pipe.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 AM
There is the one bolted up to the cast in manifold, a small one, but it is still one and then there is a more conventional one on the down pipe (the part I showed in the pic), before the mid(b)-pipe.

i found this pic. nice diagram. i guess it would be easier to take off the one closest to the midpipe. are there any dangers (aside from pollution) or performance issues i should worry about after taking off the cat?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:32 AM
also how important is the o2 sensor. and will it be effected? if i had a custom fab pipe put on in place of cat would i need them to put a place to put the 02 sensor on? im not to familiar with how it works..

Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
You need an o2 sensor bypass or something like that. Someone will know what it's called... I know what it's called, I just can't think of it so for now I'll look like a dummy, lol.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
its just a universal bung that lets you screw in the O2 sensor. The muffler shop should have some they can weld into the pipe they fab up for you, check ahead of time. Don't forget to ask for an extra bung if you want to add a wideband O2 sensor for a gauge. Also, there's a trick with a spark plug nonfouler that lets you trick the ecu into thinking the cat is still there and not throwing a catalyst efficency code.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 07-09-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 AM
used O2SIM on my 6th gen accord before

Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Actually look at the placement of the 02 sensor, it reads the exhaust before it even hits the secondary cat, replacing with a straight pipe shouldn't affect the readings the ECU sees with this sensor. If the primary cat was removed, definitely something should be used to trick the ECU into thinking the cat is still in place.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
^true... so the ecu wouldn't notice a thing?

Quick Reply: Test pipe / Cat swap