2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Kits debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:40 PM
HID Kits debate

Im sorry if there is another thread about this but im not too good with finding them and the ones i looked at werent too much help. Anyways i was looking for some advice / opinions. I was wondering what HID kits people would suggest. What is the best for the price? How long did your kit last or has lasted w/o any problems? how bright? Also anyone have any strong opinions towards or against a kit for my fit? and where did you get it online or at a shop? also how easy was it to install? let me know what you guys think.. thanks - tuck

Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
I used apexcone.com. Pretty easy to install. Hardest part was finding space for the ballast. Put them in my headlights and fogs. Had 'em for 4 months. Expect flamage from retro-fitters though, since it's technically illegal to have them in halogen housings.

They're pretty bright:

Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mr Tyler
Expect flamage from retro-fitters though, since it's technically illegal to have them in halogen housings.

They're pretty bright:

Not flamage because they're illegal... Flamage because every dickbag with an HID kit is blinding everyone else on the road.

OP have some consideration, hit up theretrofitsource.com and do it right. I guarantee you that my headlights are putting more usable light on the road than his /\.

Keep in mind the car in this shot is about 8 feet from the garage, I couldn't get any further away at the moment.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
To quote myself...
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Always love another opportunity:

""Sorry but I do this everytime this issue comes up... I see it as my responsibility to warn everyone at least once. Now you can't say nobody warned you

In fact the only people who wont think you are a douchebag are your fellow ricer friends

RETROFIT, OEM, OR STAY HOME!""

Now, on the legal side of things... ALL non-OEM headlight modifications are illegal. ILLEGAL. Projectors or not. But, Does an officer know if the fit came with factory hid projectors? Probably not, and he's unlikely to ever notice if you did a good clean retrofit. Now, that plug and play crap you buy on ebay, Heck yes you will get a ticket, It's just a matter of time as more and more officers are educated on the subject. Not to mention people like me will be high beam flashing you everytime we pass you.

Besides, It's mosty urban gutter trash you see with these PNP KITS in my grandma's used old rusted out civic or her buick regal that now sits on useless 22" chrome rims its new owner put on. Or the occasional know-nothing yuppie in the Lexus suv his mom bought him. Where I live you rarely see these lights at all, maybe twice a week. The closer I get to Chicago the more idiots I see with these blinding blue lights EVERYWHERE and IT'S NOT EVEN LIKE THEY GET ANY BENEFIT FROM THEM! They have city lights lighting everything on the road to the point where you could just ride with DRL's on. It's a LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME kind of thing in the worst way because it actually blinds other drives unlike other illegal/silly/ricer/lolwtf mods that just annoy or distract.

Now, I for one am dissapointed with the stock headlights in the fit. They are not bright enough when I go out into the country to go camping on the weekends. But, I know I don't yet want to spend the time and money to retrofit HID PROJECTORS. So I stay stock! That's right just because you cant afford to retrofit is not an excuse to put in a cheap glaring PNP HID kit. Buy some Silverstars or other high wattage bulbs in the meantime.

tl;dr
So to generalize the only people who get PNP HID kits are too stupid (uneducated about the subject), too poor, or too self/image centered to retrofit.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 PM
called almost every local car accessory store and ask for yellow h11s and all say "we only have blue". Ugh.. can't stand those blue lights...

Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
To quote myself...
I clicked on this thread knowing I could expect to already see this posted or ... that it would be posted soon.

OP, I'm with those that say Retrofit or skip the HID. HID is only useful if the light it emits is aimed properly and hits the intended target.

Some people will say more light is better... Others will say More Vladimir Vodka is better...
Both are wrong!

Check out some of the Higher end Halogen bulbs to get the look you want. This will prevent you from blinding other drivers and looking like all of the other plug in kits out there. It'll also produce more usable light and be safer for you and others on the road.

~SB

Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Got mine from XenithXenons (4300k).... ballast died the other day so I'm back to halogens (Phillips brand from NAPA). Their HID setup was rock solid for about a year and a half though.

Someone on here just posted a real bad experience with them, so maybe see how that pans out before you buy:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...enons-com.html

Oh yeah and don't use HID's blah blah blah... Anyway, I will likely stick with halogens; my new Phillips set seems a bit brighter than the mediocre stock bulbs, and when aimed a touch higher than stock they are mighty fine.

Last edited by reako; 07-14-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
if you have a harbor freight near you get this, i have this in my fit and WOW 9003 Super White Halogen Headlight Bulb

Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I would only suggest two halogen bulbs...
Osram Nightbreakers (in my Crosstour) if you want a whiter beam without that prominent blue tint.
Philips X-treme (in my Fit) for just pure high quality halogen performance.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
Got mine from XenithXenons (4300k).... ballast died the other day so I'm back to halogens (Phillips brand from NAPA). Their HID setup was rock solid for about a year and a half though.

Someone on here just posted a real bad experience with them, so maybe see how that pans out before you buy:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...enons-com.html

Oh yeah and don't use HID's blah blah blah... Anyway, I will likely stick with halogens; my new Phillips set seems a bit brighter than the mediocre stock bulbs, and when aimed a touch higher than stock they are mighty fine.
Well if that doesn't deserve a plus rep I don't know what does.

To tell you the truth I'm starting to lose the energy to fight the good fight. Everytime you finally get someone to understand, 2 new people show up who have no idea what you are trying to explain. Then you have the other 80% who "just don't give a sh*t" usually spotted driving a sunfire with a hemi badge and no hemi or an escalade/tahoe/suburban with 90's style 22" crome rims.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 07-14-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 AM
get at least 12k if you want to see anything..........

jk im in the market myself but plan on retrofit and 6k bulbs

Old 07-15-2010, 04:20 PM
This may sound strange.

But I'm colorblind, and the superwhite/icey white halogen bulbs give me much better night time vision than the stock yellowish low kelvin ones.

But I don't want to look like a douche.

What to do...

Old 07-15-2010, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zackk
This may sound strange.

But I'm colorblind, and the superwhite/icey white halogen bulbs give me much better night time vision than the stock yellowish low kelvin ones.

But I don't want to look like a douche.

What to do...
You can try getting Sylvannia Silverstar bulbs. They're pretty good.

But not for me. I had one blow out in 3-4 months. Bought a new pair, same thing. Reused working bulb and still had it go out in 3-4 months. But, in my case, I do deliveries in the evening. I use them alot so that wears them out quickly and I am constantly turning them on and off which wears them out even faster.

I'm not gonna go into the whole HID PnP debate, other than to say, "your mileage may vary." It's something I found out from personal experience (1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder). I might do it again with my Fit, but suffice it to say, at the very least, I'll re-aim them as needed.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by 12vltfrk
if you have a harbor freight near you get this, i have this in my fit and WOW 9003 Super White Halogen Headlight Bulb
Originally Posted by Goobers
You can try getting Sylvannia Silverstar bulbs. They're pretty good.

But not for me. I had one blow out in 3-4 months. Bought a new pair, same thing. Reused working bulb and still had it go out in 3-4 months. But, in my case, I do deliveries in the evening. I use them alot so that wears them out quickly and I am constantly turning them on and off which wears them out even faster.

I'm not gonna go into the whole HID PnP debate, other than to say, "your mileage may vary." It's something I found out from personal experience (1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder). I might do it again with my Fit, but suffice it to say, at the very least, I'll re-aim them as needed.
Unfortunately I've seen nothing good from the silverstars. My buddy had some on his Civic, and I shit you not they were going out every other week. He called the company to get reimbursed and they refused, saying that he must have a leak allowing water into his headlights.

He had honda inspect the headlights and sent the paperwork stating that they were in proper condition, and they just gave him the run-around. End of the day he got some $20 bulbs and have had them since.

I'm actually considering the bulbs posted in the first post I quoted above.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Ust the thing about halogens, in order to be whiter, the have to burn brighter and hotter. So it would be expected from the silverstars.

The thing about blue tinted bulbs, the have to burn brighter/hotter to overcome the dimming effect of a blue filter (thats why the bulb is blue). So even if they don't burn out, they may cause something else to burn out. I had to replace the socket in the pathfinder, because one of those "HID-sim" bulb fried one of my wires and melted the socket.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Ust the thing about halogens, in order to be whiter, the have to burn brighter and hotter. So it would be expected from the silverstars.

The thing about blue tinted bulbs, the have to burn brighter/hotter to overcome the dimming effect of a blue filter (thats why the bulb is blue). So even if they don't burn out, they may cause something else to burn out. I had to replace the socket in the pathfinder, because one of those "HID-sim" bulb fried one of my wires and melted the socket.
Good to know. I'd probably be better off buying a higher-end high kelvin bulb.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
So in order to redeem myself for my naivete and relative stupidity I'm thinking over these:

The have rave reviews and seem to be the easiest install from said reviews. Any suggestions?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Unfortunately I've seen nothing good from the silverstars. My buddy had some on his Civic, and I shit you not they were going out every other week.
I have a set of silver stars in my CR-V that are 4 years old and they are still going strong.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Seems like a lot of rigamarole just to have blue headlights (Uncle Gary in his "cranky old man" voice).

Actually, since re-aiming mine, I'm pretty happy with the stock headlamps.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Seems like a lot of rigamarole just to have blue headlights (Uncle Gary in his "cranky old man" voice).

Actually, since re-aiming mine, I'm pretty happy with the stock headlamps.
If the goal is to have blue headlights then its a waste of time/money. If the goal is to put out the most amount of usable light so you can see then its the right path.