2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GE fit is yet another bastard child in Honda's lineup...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
GE fit is yet another bastard child in Honda's lineup...

This makes two Honda "bastard childs" I've purchased...in a row. The first was the D17a powered 2001-2005 Honda civic. The aftermarket support was and is anemic. I absolutely loved that car but just can't bring myself to spend 10 grand on a heart transplant (i.e. k20).

Now, here I am again...another car that I absolutely love with no aftermarket support.

I just got off the phone with xxxx at Kraftwerks and xxxx at Blueprint Manufacturing. We will NOT see performance products for the current generation of Fit. Maybe once 3rd owners start purchasing these cars and the warranties expire...but even then the chance is extremely slim.

We are basically limited for the forseeable future to CAI (+3 hp), exhaust (+1 hp), spark plugs (+3 hp), and pulleys (+3 hp). BTW, that +10 hp is going to cost you well over $1000.

We can probably blame this on ourselves...Fit owners (and by extension fitfreak members) are spending substantially more money on mugen grills, red "H" emblems, carbon fiber radiator covers (WTF?!?!?), and colored shift knobs than we are on CAI and exhaust systems. The GE fit will forever be a "beauty queen" (or bastard child) depending on which side of the form/function coin you reside.

Random thoughts...

...now back to weight reduction. I just ordered a complete right rear drum kit for the 2000-2006 Honda insight. Hopefully I'll have a working set-up by mid-week. Can't wait to get these up on the scales...

Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
When there's no aftermarket support for a certain car, there's really only one thing you can do. That's to DIY. I'm sure a custom supercharger/turbo kit is possible and as far as Blueprint Racing goes, were you interested in cams and valvetrain? Isn't Bisimoto working on internals for the L15?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 PM
I was calling Blueprint to inquire about a stage 1 cam. We're limited to stage 1 for two reasons:
1) No tuning solution
2) No valve spring/retainer upgrade

Any camshaft they make would be a one-off prototype. It would cost somewhere between $1000-1500. There would be no guarantee on hp/tq numbers.

I know that a stage 1 camshaft in the d17a2 will give around 15-20 whp...I've seen the dyno sheet.

I would be willing to spend $1200 for a 20 whp increase, but I don't think anyone else here would be. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's silly that people are willing to spend hundreds on CF dash "dress-up kits" and > 1,000 dollars on a Mugen body kit. Yet no one would pony up for a camshaft.

Again, the Fit is and will always be just a "beauty queen." **sigh**

Old 07-23-2010, 06:27 PM
I think there are a few things to consider.. firstly for the most part the GD was around for the better part of 7 model years, only 2 here in the US though.. and now we are just now ending the 2nd of the GE.

Then there is the economy.. it sucks. People are being tighter in general. This means companies are less apt to develop new stuff.. controlling costs...

And finally.. I think it really depends on how long the GE lasts relatively unchanged. Various companies may not have anything on the table now, but that could change in a year or two.

Me personally, I'm perfectly happy with my base M/T. It scoots, is nimble, gets great mileage.. and it's a Honda The only things I want to change is the ride height and a rear sway.

I certainly wouldn't mind boosting it, but I'll wait till the warranty is expired.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
I was calling Blueprint to inquire about a stage 1 cam. We're limited to stage 1 for two reasons:
1) No tuning solution
2) No valve spring/retainer upgrade

Any camshaft they make would be a one-off prototype. It would cost somewhere between $1000-1500. There would be no guarantee on hp/tq numbers.

I know that a stage 1 camshaft in the d17a2 will give around 15-20 whp...I've seen the dyno sheet.

I would be willing to spend $1200 for a 20 whp increase, but I don't think anyone else here would be. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's silly that people are willing to spend hundreds on CF dash "dress-up kits" and > 1,000 dollars on a Mugen body kit. Yet no one would pony up for a camshaft.

Again, the Fit is and will always be just a "beauty queen." **sigh**
Ah I see... Well each person has his/her own plan. For example, my plan for my GE8 is to keep it clean and simple. Coilovers, wheels, intake, exhaust, and that's pretty much it. She's my daily driver. If I wanted to turn my GE8 into a track car, I'd be going along the same route as you. Trying to make my GE8 as light possible. I'd also try to figure out how to squeeze out as much power out of the L15A7. If I might add, Ghettoboy247 runs his GE8 in the Redline Time Attack with his stock L17A7 and his pulling off faster times than some really high horsepower cars. Sometimes it's not always about power, but balance. Excellent driver skill also helps. I give you props for trying to talk to those companies. Who knows, maybe they'll come around.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Sherpa
I think there are a few things to consider.. firstly for the most part the GD was around for the better part of 7 model years, only 2 here in the US though.. and now we are just now ending the 2nd of the GE.
Kraftwerks had a supercharger package out within the GD's first two years of production. Not only are we entering the third year of production on the GE, but Kraftwerks is not even interested in the GE in the forseeable future.
Originally Posted by Sherpa
Me personally, I'm perfectly happy with my base M/T. It scoots, is nimble, gets great mileage.. and it's a Honda The only things I want to change is the ride height and a rear sway.

I certainly wouldn't mind boosting it, but I'll wait till the warranty is expired.
(Unfortunately) Your viewpoint is consistent with the majority of Fit owners. Again not trying to be mean, just objective. Obviously, you are not part of the target market for performance oriented products.

@JDMxGE8
I just found the thread re: Bisimoto. I added my name to the list and will try to do some digging into this.

Last edited by blackndecker; 07-23-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Just got off the phone with a representative at Bisimoto...it would take a minimum of 30 orders to guarantee production.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned
K20 swap.....that's the solution

Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
K20 swap.....that's the solution
No one makes mounts, or anything swap related for a K in a GE. So everything would have to be custom anyway. more cost effective for a custom boost setup.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
No one makes mounts, or anything swap related for a K in a GE. So everything would have to be custom anyway. more cost effective for a custom boost setup.
Doesn't the GE have an integrated exhaust manifold?

Plus I'd rather be able to have all the potential of a K than a boosted L series

IMO the investment would be worth it

L is pretty well maxxed out (reliably) at 200....K is just beginning

Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
The GD was 3 years old before it hit the states so many of the aftermarket products were out or neede minor modification to Fit. it could be the same way for the GE.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 PM
The Fit is pretty much maxed out at 200 hp as well....in anything except a straight line. LOL. It would be a kamikaze egg.

The K is not even a reasonable solution and should not be brought up in any realistic conversation discussion options for more power. Strength of argument ---> show me one person in this country with a K-swapped GE....no really....just one....

......I'll wait.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned
That's because no one is willing to spend the money.....

Gotta pay to play

And with proper suspension adjustment and chassis bracing 200+ whp would be fine

Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Doesn't the GE have an integrated exhaust manifold?

Plus I'd rather be able to have all the potential of a K than a boosted L series

IMO the investment would be worth it

integrated exhaust manifold makes it easier and cheaper for a turbo manifold.
id spend about 3-4k for a custom turbo setup if i had a GE rather than spend well over 10k for a k...

IMO over 200hp isnt needed in a fit... unless your trying to beat vin diesel in the quarter mile.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:16 PM
The bright shining hope....

...would be interchangeable parts with the CR-Z. This will SAVE the Fit.

The engine in the CR-Z is a 1.5 liter DOHC. If it's possible to head swap, that will open up a whole new world of aftermarket support. Also, if the CR-Z incorporates extensive use of aluminum througout the chasis this would be a source of lightweight replacement parts. Lastly, the CR-Z might be an easy source for an OEM rear disc brake swap.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Banned
integrated exhaust manifold makes it easier and cheaper for a turbo manifold.
id spend about 3-4k for a custom turbo setup if i had a GE rather than spend well over 10k for a k...

IMO over 200hp isnt needed in a fit... unless your trying to beat vin diesel in the quarter mile.
but, but....i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time

and my main reason for saying K is I hate the idea of FI on Hondas...always have, idk why

Old 07-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Agree...160 whp in a 2200-2300 lb car would be a blast.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned
Fit weighs more than 22-2300 pounds

and believe me i'm not all about power....

Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 PM

and my main reason for saying K is I hate the idea of FI on Hondas...always have, idk why
Question, have you ever seriously modified a Honda? Because you speak like someone who hasn't.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned
nope

and that's just fine with me

Quick Reply: GE fit is yet another bastard child in Honda's lineup...