2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Fit - Seats are Horrible

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
I am 5'8" tall and weigh 220. I drove the Fit 270 miles yesterday with no discomfort. This was after driving a Honda Element for the first 270 miles. To each his own.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farther
I am 5'8" tall and weigh 220. I drove the Fit 270 miles yesterday with no discomfort. This was after driving a Honda Element for the first 270 miles. To each his own.
You are short and wide, just like the fit seats, so it's normal you fit them well.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
for me it was all about adjusting the seat and steering wheel. The way I sit in the fit is NOTHING like the way I sat in either the Altima or the GS-R. The problem I found was that the back of my thighs were never touching the cushion so after a certain amount of driving, I was uncomfortable. I've simply adjusted my seating position. the seat is further back and my legs are more outstretched than in my other cars. Also the steering wheel is in a different position. (I think we have telescoping steering wheels and I adjusted that once). I can easily do 5 1/2 hour trips (that's the longest we've gone) in the fit and while it's nice to get out and stretch, it's not uncomfortable.

Yeah... my thighs didn't touch the cushion (well, the bit of my thighs over the seat - those seat bottoms are really short). Unfortunately, I didn't have the easy solution of just sliding the seat back further (no more seat travel - it's a bit limited in not just the Fit, but quite a few Honda's in recent years.) The solution for me was to raise the front edge of the seat, tilting the whole thing back overall. Well, that and remounting the throttle pedal to get my knee off the shift knob.

Doing these things finally got the seat to a comfortable state for me.

I had an Element before... it was (surprisingly) worse than the Fit on legroom. The current Civic sucks for legroom. The Accord Coupe, on the other hand, is phenomenal for legroom, but lacks a useful back seat and versatile cargo area.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
You have pictures of the raised front?

And to compare back seats, you have to put the front seats at egal distance from the pedals. If you but both accord and fit maximum to the rear, the accord will look small in the back, actualy to compare equaly, we should put the front seats in the accord maybe 2 inches forward. It applies mostly on german cars. They always have almost no leg room in the back if you put the front seat at maximum back and as low a possible (and reclined) but that would accomodate 6'8'' drivers probably.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by broody
You have pictures of the raised front?

And to compare back seats, you have to put the front seats at egal distance from the pedals. If you but both accord and fit maximum to the rear, the accord will look small in the back, actualy to compare equaly, we should put the front seats in the accord maybe 2 inches forward. It applies mostly on german cars. They always have almost no leg room in the back if you put the front seat at maximum back and as low a possible (and reclined) but that would accomodate 6'8'' drivers probably.
That's how the Mini is... it's also how my Accord was.

You know... I would really, really like that. I can slide forward a bit to accomodate a passenger behind me. Being able to slide it far enough back for serious comfort would be a real selling point for me.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
I like how we can "crush" the back seats with the front ones on the mini to get enough leg room .
It's too bad that kind of comfort (leg room, shape of the seat, adjustments) are limited to luxury brands (or big cars).

Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 PM
about 50% of the drivers will complain about the fit, and probably more if you ask to non-owners. About 80% of the people will like a seat like in the 90's camry, even if some will say it's a bit soft. And most people will find a german seat (bmw, VW) is better than the one in the fit (if you stay in the firm seats).
where are you getting all this "data" from? why are you speaking for all fit owners?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
It's the thruth, that's it. It's like the non existence of god.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm 6'6" and 250 lbs and I find the Fit's driver seat to be quite comfortable. The roof is tall enough that the top of my head just barely touches it (depending on angle), and isn't wedged against it. The only height-related problem I have is that the steering wheel won't adjust up high enough - even at its top setting, it blocks the top part of the speedometer so the numerical indicators can't be read without moving my head down.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
I replaced my seats because well I just love my Brides and the stock seats made me feel like I was driving a damn truck. Granted with the fuel tank under the front seats, you can only get so low a driving position, but coming from all my past Hondas, the Fit just felt like I was driving a semi with the stock seats. My stock driver seat came with an up/down adjustment, but even at it's lowest point I still felt awkward. The other nice thing about my bucket, it's adjustable one time and one time only unless take it completely out of the car and readjust the mounting points. As far as comfort goes, I can't really talk about the stock seats as I had them out on the 2nd day of ownership. Though from what I can recall, they weren't horrible, just too truck like for my tastes.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Josh G.
I'm 6'6" and 250 lbs and I find the Fit's driver seat to be quite comfortable. The roof is tall enough that the top of my head just barely touches it (depending on angle), and isn't wedged against it. The only height-related problem I have is that the steering wheel won't adjust up high enough - even at its top setting, it blocks the top part of the speedometer so the numerical indicators can't be read without moving my head down.

Have you tried pulling the wheel forward a bit? that fixed my problem

Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
where are you getting all this "data" from? why are you speaking for all fit owners?
the fact is the fit is an econo box, and amongst all other cars, the low end of the econo class.

if you put it side by side to luxury brands or RV style seats, yes our seats are crap.

if you put it in comparison to others in its class, its above average.

if you put it in comparison to vehicles that have completely crap seating (wooden benches, unpadded metal, unmounted seats - all on military vehicles I've ridden in), the fit seats are spectacular.

its true, no mass produced product will be 100% comfortable if it has only has the bare minimum of adjustibility (recline/leg length) as in our seats.

now, we could add stuff, such as the things fichet mentioned, but that only helps if you are smaller, and if you are like my wife ( is 5'0) they will enjoy the seat of the fit much better, albeit with a cushion to get better view height. I think Honda didnt get the memo that us americans are huge compared to JDM,

btw, we could start a poll to see what the consensus is on seat comfort

Poll here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...our-seats.html

Last edited by Punisher11; 09-08-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
There are also complaints like this in the Corvette forum. Personally I like those seats too, but there are some people that claim they are absolute crap.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loubob57
There are also complaints like this in the Corvette forum. Personally I like those seats too, but there are some people that claim they are absolute crap.
I won't comment on quality of the seats... but the only way I could drive the 1995 Corvette without cramping in less than a minute was to move the seat almost all the way to the back, then tilt the seat bottom. I have to drop the back side of the bottom to the lowest, then raise the front part. You could feel the back of the seat pushing on the rear panels. If I didn't put the seat in exactly THAT position, my head would hit the removable top and/or my legs would cramp up almost instantly.

But, once in that position, I can drive the Vette as long as I want.

As for the Fit... with the seat almost all the way back, the steering wheel extended and almost to the topmost position, with the seat reclined enough for me to almost fully extend my arms while holding the top of the steering wheel... and the neoprene seat covers I got from Costco/Coverkings... I'm quite comfortable.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
At leat the corvette has the right settings. And it has a small cockpit, the fit has plenty of room. I can't drive my mr2 with my helmet and my t-top on, but I don't care.

Originally Posted by Punisher11
the fact is the fit is an econo box, and amongst all other cars, the low end of the econo class.

if you put it side by side to luxury brands or RV style seats, yes our seats are crap.

if you put it in comparison to others in its class, its above average.

if you put it in comparison to vehicles that have completely crap seating (wooden benches, unpadded metal, unmounted seats - all on military vehicles I've ridden in), the fit seats are spectacular.

its true, no mass produced product will be 100% comfortable if it has only has the bare minimum of adjustibility (recline/leg length) as in our seats.

now, we could add stuff, such as the things fichet mentioned, but that only helps if you are smaller, and if you are like my wife ( is 5'0) they will enjoy the seat of the fit much better, albeit with a cushion to get better view height. I think Honda didnt get the memo that us americans are huge compared to JDM,

btw, we could start a poll to see what the consensus is on seat comfort

Poll here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...our-seats.html
Above average? The only worst seats are the ones in the aveo.

Versa have better seats and more legroom, yaris sedan has height adjust, and the hatchback doesn't but since the seat is softer, it forgives the lack of design easier. Fiesta looked ok but not great (there is height adjust at least), and accent doesn't have much leg room, but in my opinion offers by far the best driving position in the category, and decent seats.

And camry mk4 seats (CE trim at least) didn't have any more adjustments available than the fit, they still remain the most comfortable seats I've tried (with some fancy and firmer german seats).

Last edited by broody; 09-08-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Brooding Broody....

It's the thruth, that's it. It's like the non existence of god.
Bottom line, seat comfort is subjective to individuals. Usually based on almost uncountable individual aspects.

For myself and many, we find The Fit seats to be fine.

If for you, or anyone they are not? Okay.

If you further want to embrace the philosophy or thinking that there is absolutely nothing you can do about this, either with padding, cushions, or total seat replacement or modification....I think this is unnecessarily limited thinking, but again fine....if you really think The Fit seats are "horrible" and there is nothing you can do about it...then I'd say...find a different vehicle.

But consistently making blanket statements about ALL FIT seats..or everyone says...???...no...not right.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 PM
wait how did we get from uncomfortable seats to the non existence of god? smh.

get new seats and stop whining!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
The seats are so-so. The angle is a big part of it. Being able to angle the seat back would help. An industrious person might place place several washers, along with slightly longer bolts under the front mounting point for the frame-rails, lifting the seat a bit just in the front, and improving the overall position. They might find that it aleviates any complaints of discomfort in their right leg, combined with remounting the throttle pedal for extra space.

The car in stock form is pretty agonizing, but an industrious person could fix it relatively easily.

(6'1, not really tall, but 35" inseam and sz 12 shoes need space!)
I did what Occam did. Three washers inserted under the front bolt on the front seat rail raises the seat front just enough to make a positive difference. I had no need to use a longer bolt.

This doesn't turn it into Cadillac seating - it's still a Fit - but it will improve front seat support. I didn't get involved with moving the pedals BTW - no need for me, but I can see where this will be of benefit to some.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 PM
It doesn't help that the front seats are unusually close together, to the point that there's an unusually wide gap between the seat and door, and the steering wheel is slightly off center. This puts your body a bit out of alignment if you try to center yourself in front of the wheel, and puts your feet at an odd position (a large part of why I removed extra undercarpet insulation on the side of the footwell next to the throttle pedal).

It's not unusual for Hondas to have these slightly off alignments - anyone remember the cockeyed steering wheel in the CR-V 97-01, which incidentally had the center console pushed an inch or two to the right side.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Lack of room and support for my 36" inseam legs was one of the main reasons I bought a different car last year rather than the Fit.

Quick Reply: 2010 Fit - Seats are Horrible