2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Fit - Seats are Horrible

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by energyandair
Lack of room and support for my 36" inseam legs was one of the main reasons I bought a different car last year rather than the Fit.
35" inseam here.

What did you buy instead? Dad has an accord coupe - that car has phenomenal legroom.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Just FYI, the reason the Fit's front legroom is only OK rather than ample is because the cabin is pushed forward, so the wheel well and engine bay limits how much leg room is available. At 161" long, as long as an S2000, no one should be complaining about ROOM in a Fit. That would be absurd.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
35" inseam here.

What did you buy instead? Dad has an accord coupe - that car has phenomenal legroom.
We ended up buying a Gen 3 (2010) Prius which has far more driver legroom than the Gen 2 (2004-2009).

We wanted to move from a 2002 Accord V6 sedan (great legroom) to something with better fuel efficiency, a hatchback rather than a trunk, and smaller outside dimensions (lets us fit the bikes and the car in the garage).

Old 09-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Just FYI, the reason the Fit's front legroom is only OK rather than ample is because the cabin is pushed forward, so the wheel well and engine bay limits how much leg room is available. At 161" long, as long as an S2000, no one should be complaining about ROOM in a Fit. That would be absurd.
Not sure if you are responding to me but I look at it a bit differently.

I agree that the Fit desgn makes fantastic use of space and I think that for both usable space and a feeling of spaciousness in a shape that looks good and has relatively low drag, it is easily the best car currently made.

What it needs to work better for somone like me is about 2" more travel on the front seat adjustment. (back seats could stay where they are)

This would permit me to set the seat further back most of the time as I rarely have 4 people my size in the car and never for long trips.

Infrequent short trips around town with 4 tall people would be fine. It is lengthy trips in a cramped driving position that are literally a pain for me.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 PM

I agree that the Fit desgn makes fantastic use of space and I think that for both usable space and a feeling of spaciousness in a shape that looks good and has relatively low drag, it is easily the best car currently made.

What it needs to work better for somone like me is about 2" more travel on the front seat adjustment. (back seats could stay where they are)

This would permit me to set the seat further back most of the time as I rarely have 4 people my size in the car and never for long trips.

Infrequent short trips around town with 4 tall people would be fine. It is lengthy trips in a cramped driving position that are literally a pain for me.
Agreed 100%. Giving the seats an extra 2 inches of rearward travel would've been effortless. I can almost understand the logic against it, as you wouldn't be able to use the magic seats with the front seats in the rear-most position. It seems that it's more an advertising matter. You would have the exact same utility as now, plus a bit of extra legroom if necessary. As it is, you have to slide the front seats forward a bit, fold the seat flat, and then slide them back, unless you keep the seatback bolt upright.

Even without the extra travel, my solutions detailed above (and in the "Tall guy's guide to the Fit" thread required very little effort, and adjusting the pitch of the seat bottom should make it more comfortable for all drivers. It seems an oversight on honda's part.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member

No, I wasn't responding to you or anyone in particular, but there is talk about legroom in front from some.

I understand one wanting more rear travel front seat adjustment, but I also understand why Honda didn't engineer it that way. One is the aforementioned Magic Seat functionality, the other is the driver and passenger door armrests...if the seats could be adjusted further back, it would be uncomfy for your arm - it wouldn't line up with the armrest.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 PM
The armrest is annoying, but that's par for the course for 4 door cars.

I'm used to that. If I could get the seat a bit further back, I wouldn't have to lean it back so far, would be in the same place in relation to the armrest.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 AM
I wonder if it's a safety problem with having the seat further back in the rails. Maybe the seat belt wouldn't be in the correct spot?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmmm.... I wonder if the CR-Z has more legroom since it has no back seats...

Tall People - go sit in a CR-Z and report back

~SB

Old 09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Hmmmm.... I wonder if the CR-Z has more legroom since it has no back seats...

Tall People - go sit in a CR-Z and report back

~SB
Yes it has more room, more adjustments, and a better shape. They are much better in every aspect. But if the fit doesn'T have more room it's not because it's a 4 seater, there is still plenty of room in the back. In the mini you can squeeze the rear seats when you put the front seats in the rear-most position.

And like some people said, having more seat travel would make many tall people have the back of the seat less reclined. And having the seat more reclined eat almost as much rear leg room than having the whole seast further back.

Last edited by broody; 09-13-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Why anyone would buy a car that they though had horrible seats is beyond me.

I repeat an earlier post:

Didn't any of you test drive the car before you bought it?

I drive my fit from NC to MD on monday and then back on friday. I find the seats just fine. It is no Cadillac (not the old people cadillac from the 90s since I do not like the couch feeling, but a nice new sporty one), but it is certainly tolerable and perfect for this fits price point.

Last edited by peoples1234; 09-13-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by peoples1234

I drive my fit from NC to MD on monday and then back on friday. I find the seats just fine. It is no Cadillac (not the old people cadillac from the 90s since I do not like the couch feeling, but a nice new sporty one), but it is certainly tolerable and perfect for this fits price point.
cause we cant do long term tests? sitting in the show room or going once around the block will not prove anything. and I highly doubt a dealer would give you free reign of a high milage test, liability wise i dont see it feasble at all, and i really dont think a car (new or demo) would make the dealer any money if driven more than say 50 miles before being sold.

this is the equivalent of how did you test your bed before buying it? the short term can be comfortable, the very long term (after the seat settles to your body, etc) can be something you wont know if you like until you get there

Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 PM

1. The same reason that couples break it off, get divorced, etc. Issues became more apparent once 'the honeymoon is over'

Seriously, little annoyances are tricky when buying a car. Sometimes, they fade away over time, as your perception of 'normal' becomes rezeroed on the new car. other times, issues that weren't noticable at all become nagging fishwives over time.
I test-drove the Fit in sneakers. With thick-soled combat boots, the fit (no pun intended) is completely different.

2. Some issues don't become noticable until you've spent 3+ hours behind the wheel. When is the last time you went road-tripping on a test drive? Pontiac used to offer a 24-hour test-drive, which was a great idea to decide if you like a car (maybe not the best if you're selling Pontiacs, but I digress)

3. When people share their issues with the car, they are likely to hear from someone who has found other solutions. Shimming the front bolts, removing chunks of intrusive padding under the carpeting around the accelerator, and using shims around the accelerator pedal bolts to change the angle gave me all the adjustment I needed. I therefore shared this with others here. I was 170 miles away the first time I realized that the seats and lack of legroom were causing me issues. I fixed it, and have shared it in every one of these threads.

4. As usual with this topic (similarly in motorcycle discussion) 5-foot-nothings are amazed that the _X_ vehicle is uncomfortable to someone else. News flash... I'm 6'1... If someone is 5'5, and proportional to me, they are effectively, from their perspective, driving a car that is 110% the size of mine. Do you know what you call a Fit that is 10% larger in every dimension? A CR-V!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline
Seriously, mroadsters? WTF? Did you not even test drive the car before you bought it?

Sorry I had to say it. In all seriousness though, you did your research before signing the dotted line?

I came from driving a VW GTI and while I don't have many other cars to compare to I can say I love the Fit seats compared to those Recaro's for long trips.
Complaints about the seating have always been a mystery to me. It doesn't take a very long test drive to determine if a car "fits" or not. Why on earth would anyone buy a car that doesn't fit their body type, then complain that it's Honda's fault.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member

It's my mom's car, not mine. And other than the fit, she was looking for the yaris and the smart, which doesn't have more leg room or a better position (but they are a bit softer and have less lower lumbar which I prefere). And the fit was far better on every other aspect (except for fuel economy too but still okay). They could have make it much better for the same price that's it.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Punisher11
cause we cant do long term tests? sitting in the show room or going once around the block will not prove anything. and I highly doubt a dealer would give you free reign of a high milage test, liability wise i dont see it feasble at all, and i really dont think a car (new or demo) would make the dealer any money if driven more than say 50 miles before being sold.

this is the equivalent of how did you test your bed before buying it? the short term can be comfortable, the very long term (after the seat settles to your body, etc) can be something you wont know if you like until you get there
I drove my fit for a weekend before buying it. About 200 miles. I have taken every car I have ever bought for an extended test drive, often for two days or more. Always made sense to me.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Occam

4. As usual with this topic (similarly in motorcycle discussion) 5-foot-nothings are amazed that the _X_ vehicle is uncomfortable to someone else. News flash... I'm 6'1... If someone is 5'5, and proportional to me, they are effectively, from their perspective, driving a car that is 110% the size of mine. Do you know what you call a Fit that is 10% larger in every dimension? A CR-V!
I'm 6'2" 280 lbs, a big guy. I fit in the fit just fine.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
I drove my fit for a weekend before buying it. About 200 miles. I have taken every car I have ever bought for an extended test drive, often for two days or more. Always made sense to me.
It's a good thing but not a must for me. It's rare that I find a seat comfortable on a short ride and then find it painfull on a long drive, usually I see if it fits right away.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Verdict from Long Trip- they R comfortable for me!

I put nearly 1500 miles on my Fit since Sunday morning. Averaging 8-10 hours day on a cross -country trip form Colorado to the East Coast.

They are more comfortable than my leather Subaru seats--I think it is the height of the car. I used to get stiff legs & back sitting in the Subaru for more than 3- 4 hours at a time and my body was sore getting out of the car.
No pain so far!
I ride for 3 hours at a time and then stop for a rest and brief walk.

Averaging a bit over 35 mpg with bike rack & bike on back going 70 - 75 mph.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
I put nearly 1500 miles on my Fit since Sunday morning. Averaging 8-10 hours day on a cross -country trip form Colorado to the East Coast.

They are more comfortable than my leather Subaru seats--I think it is the height of the car. I used to get stiff legs & back sitting in the Subaru for more than 3- 4 hours at a time and my body was sore getting out of the car.
No pain so far!
I ride for 3 hours at a time and then stop for a rest and brief walk.

Averaging a bit over 35 mpg with bike rack & bike on back going 70 - 75 mph.
roof, Hitch, or hatch mount?

~SB

Quick Reply: 2010 Fit - Seats are Horrible