2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Fit - Seats are Horrible

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:32 PM
2010 Fit - Seats are Horrible

Last edited by mroadsters; 09-06-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: N/M
Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
The plate you removed is part of the active head restraint system. The theory is when you're struck from behind the force of your body moving backwards against the plate pushes the head rest forwards to reduce the distance your head moves.

It is my suspicion that Honda designed the seat to discourage drivers from putting all their weight into the back of the seat, moving the headrest to its most forward position prior to an impact. The fit's front seats are definitely not designed for drivers who enjoy a lounging style of seating.

Last edited by red600; 09-06-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by mroadsters
Googling shows I'm not alone in my complaint
Safe bet that googling any car name along with uncomfortable seats will yield you results.

Not making excuses... just sayin.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Last edited by mroadsters; 09-06-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: N/M
Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by mroadsters
Seriously, Honda? WTF? Did anyone other then crash test dummies test this seat? I think it was modeled after some medieval torture device.
Seriously, mroadsters? WTF? Did you not even test drive the car before you bought it?

Sorry I had to say it. In all seriousness though, you did your research before signing the dotted line?

I came from driving a VW GTI and while I don't have many other cars to compare to I can say I love the Fit seats compared to those Recaro's for long trips.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 AM
I have taken my fit on more than a few trips and have no issues with the seats. I'm 6'2 and don't like to slouch while driving

Notice how this guy just registered to complain... and then deleted his 2 posts? Hmm....

Old 09-07-2010, 02:13 AM
I haven't had any issues with the seats at all. I'm 6'2 as well =\

Old 09-07-2010, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
Safe bet that googling any car name along with uncomfortable seats will yield you results.

Not making excuses... just sayin.
No. Fit seats are horrible, more than 99% of the cars.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 AM
The seats are so-so. The angle is a big part of it. Being able to angle the seat back would help. An industrious person might place place several washers, along with slightly longer bolts under the front mounting point for the frame-rails, lifting the seat a bit just in the front, and improving the overall position. They might find that it aleviates any complaints of discomfort in their right leg, combined with remounting the throttle pedal for extra space.

The car in stock form is pretty agonizing, but an industrious person could fix it relatively easily.

(6'1, not really tall, but 35" inseam and sz 12 shoes need space!)

Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah having the front of the seat a bit higher, and (in my opinion) less lower lumbar (like when you "pull the armrest" would be good) would help greatly. But still, the seats don't offer much leg room, are too firm, and not enough tight/too wide for skinny people (I'm far from touching the letareal support tings when I drive normaly). My mr2 (not the same class) has adjustable lateral support, wich is great. Or just softer seats instead would help, since it's not a sport car.

Honda should make a recall on the bad comfort.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
I have had my Fit for a bit over 3 months now and have found the seats quite comfortable. I like the lumbar support & the firmness of the seat.
I am short 5' 1.5". I like to sit fairly straight up & not in a reclined position.
I think if you enjoy sitting this way and not in the leisurely reclined position the way you can in large sedans they are good.
The seats seem to be more comfortable in the lumbar area than the seats in my Subaru, although I miss the ability to raise or lower.

I have taken 2 - 3 hour trips on the Fit. The big test is coming up soon for a cross country drive to the East Coast. I'll report back with my experience on 6- 8 hours of daily driving.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by broody
No. Fit seats are horrible, more than 99% of the cars.
where are these facts coming from?

I'm sure there are people that find the seats uncomfortable, seeing how we are all different, one seat shouldn't be able to fit everyone. But it's the generalizations and made up data that is a bit suspect.

A recall?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Meh...

Horrible?
Just like with recliners, favorite chairs, seats, whatever...it's all personally subjective.

The Fit's seats are evidently safe...IMO ...in my personal opinion they are neither the most comfortable nor the least comfortable seats.

Also IMO if they are uncomfortable to you? There are literally tons of Pads, Cushions, Massaging Units...etc that one can purchase to change how the seat feels. The ultimate resolution being purchasing entirely different seats....

But horrible? No...

I've grown to like them more with time....they aren't bad imo...the worst thing about them being that the material does seem hard to vacume and grips hairs and material. But again, there are options to remedy that...if I feel it is too horrible to deal with.

Geesh, I've driven vehicles with spartan bench seats...and vehicles from the 60's, 70's and 80's that had seats that make The Fits seats seem like downright luxurious thrones.

Deal with it...

Old 09-07-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm also 6'2 and it took me a couple weeks to get used to everything but I don't have issues with the seats like I first thought I might

Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
The seats are so-so. The angle is a big part of it. Being able to angle the seat back would help. An industrious person might place place several washers, along with slightly longer bolts under the front mounting point for the frame-rails, lifting the seat a bit just in the front, and improving the overall position. They might find that it aleviates any complaints of discomfort in their right leg, combined with remounting the throttle pedal for extra space.

The car in stock form is pretty agonizing, but an industrious person could fix it relatively easily.

(6'1, not really tall, but 35" inseam and sz 12 shoes need space!)
6'2 agree 100% with this, the ability to tilt the seat bottom back slightly would make a huge difference

Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
for me it was all about adjusting the seat and steering wheel. The way I sit in the fit is NOTHING like the way I sat in either the Altima or the GS-R. The problem I found was that the back of my thighs were never touching the cushion so after a certain amount of driving, I was uncomfortable. I've simply adjusted my seating position. the seat is further back and my legs are more outstretched than in my other cars. Also the steering wheel is in a different position. (I think we have telescoping steering wheels and I adjusted that once). I can easily do 5 1/2 hour trips (that's the longest we've gone) in the fit and while it's nice to get out and stretch, it's not uncomfortable.

It's not a luxury car and the car isn't going to easily adjust to your seating position. It's an economy car and there's some adjustment that needs to happen on both ends and I think with a little bit of work, most people will find it acceptable.

or Swap in some civic Seats - I hear they drop in.

~SB

Old 09-07-2010, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shegetstodriveit
where are these facts coming from?

I'm sure there are people that find the seats uncomfortable, seeing how we are all different, one seat shouldn't be able to fit everyone. But it's the generalizations and made up data that is a bit suspect.

A recall?
about 50% of the drivers will complain about the fit, and probably more if you ask to non-owners. About 80% of the people will like a seat like in the 90's camry, even if some will say it's a bit soft. And most people will find a german seat (bmw, VW) is better than the one in the fit (if you stay in the firm seats).

Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
If they haven't changed much from the 2007 Fit I own now, I have no reason to doubt the original poster's opinion here. In fact my old 1986 CRX's seats gave me less problems than the Fit has.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear that. I am 6' and I find them quite comfortable.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Meh...

Horrible?
Just like with recliners, favorite chairs, seats, whatever...it's all personally subjective.

The Fit's seats are evidently safe...IMO ...in my personal opinion they are neither the most comfortable nor the least comfortable seats.

Also IMO if they are uncomfortable to you? There are literally tons of Pads, Cushions, Massaging Units...etc that one can purchase to change how the seat feels. The ultimate resolution being purchasing entirely different seats....

But horrible? No...

I've grown to like them more with time....they aren't bad imo...the worst thing about them being that the material does seem hard to vacume and grips hairs and material. But again, there are options to remedy that...if I feel it is too horrible to deal with.

Geesh, I've driven vehicles with spartan bench seats...and vehicles from the 60's, 70's and 80's that had seats that make The Fits seats seem like downright luxurious thrones.

Deal with it...
I have an 87 civic wagon, and it's still much more comfortable than the fit even if the seats are obviously not great (and there is more room also, for the same lenght).

And ading some padding is not an option for tall drivers since it already lack of leg room (and the seat is too short), adding a pad would make this worst. And changing a seat is pricey and not legal in most cases.
Originally Posted by specboy
for me it was all about adjusting the seat and steering wheel. The way I sit in the fit is NOTHING like the way I sat in either the Altima or the GS-R. The problem I found was that the back of my thighs were never touching the cushion so after a certain amount of driving, I was uncomfortable. I've simply adjusted my seating position. the seat is further back and my legs are more outstretched than in my other cars. Also the steering wheel is in a different position. (I think we have telescoping steering wheels and I adjusted that once). I can easily do 5 1/2 hour trips (that's the longest we've gone) in the fit and while it's nice to get out and stretch, it's not uncomfortable.
Guess what, the back of the tights will never touch the seat for tall people because the isn't enough maximum leg room. and the missing angle adjust doesn't help anything, if we could raise the front it would make more support but no there isn't any adjustment.

Last edited by broody; 09-07-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Fit - Seats are Horrible