2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Manual Transmission, Hwy Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Manual Transmission, Hwy Mileage

Hi,

I was wondering what other M/T owners are getting for their Highway MPG's?.. I have about 3000k miles on my car now, and I can easily attain 40-41mpg around town keeping it under 60mph. But I took it out on the Highway this weekend doing 75-80mph and my real-time MPG meter was in the low 30's mpg's. was kinda hoping it would be at least in the mid 30's.. So what are other M/T's getting doing 70mph + on the Hwy? anyway to improve it on the Hwy?

thanx!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I got about 37.5 this morning doing 65. When I do 70-75 it's in the 32-34 range depending on the route I take. Around town/city I'm at 31-32, it's to fun to drive slowly.

Manny

Old 10-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I was seeing lower highway MPG than local MPG as well. I'm thinking this is the first car I ever drove that gave me better local MPG than highway??

As I continued they both seemed to merge. I'm at 40MPG average now and 9Kmiles. Most of my driving is local, however, my last 400 mile trip to Maine showed me the same, well maybe 1 or 2 MPG [no more] less, I'm cruising at 70.

I'm about to take off south and will be interested in seeing how 3 days of highway driving pans out.

The ECU profiles your driving habits and does a good job as long as you're consistent in how you drive the Fit. Surprisingly enough it's not how fast you go, but more of how fast you get going fast that makes the most difference in your avg MPG. I rarely put the pedal to the floor - I simply wait a bit and run up the RPM's to get going as fast as I need in the selected gear. Pedal to the floor on a stock set-up really isn't going to get you there any quicker - it simply lowers your avg MPG.

fits is smart_

Also hard braking has a similar negative effect on things. One reason true 'city' mileage is low.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Gearing in the GD3 Sport and VTEC settings kinda hurt us beyond the mid 3k range on the highway.

60-65mph seems to return the most agreeable results. After 70 efficiency drops of considerably. But getting 30mpg at ~80mph is still plenty for me.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I was seeing lower highway MPG than local MPG as well. I'm thinking this is the first car I ever drove that gave me better local MPG than highway??

As I continued they both seemed to merge. I'm at 40MPG average now and 9Kmiles. Most of my driving is local, however, my last 400 mile trip to Maine showed me the same, well maybe 1 or 2 MPG [no more] less, I'm cruising at 70.

I'm about to take off south and will be interested in seeing how 3 days of highway driving pans out.

The ECU profiles your driving habits and does a good job as long as you're consistent in how you drive the Fit. Surprisingly enough it's not how fast you go, but more of how fast you get going fast that makes the most difference in your avg MPG. I rarely put the pedal to the floor - I simply wait a bit and run up the RPM's to get going as fast as I need in the selected gear. Pedal to the floor on a stock set-up really isn't going to get you there any quicker - it simply lowers your avg MPG.

fits is smart_

Also hard braking has a similar negative effect on things. One reason true 'city' mileage is low.
I would say you and I have similar driving habits, hence the similar mileages, Although I'm sure FL's highway speed limits are probably a little higher than NY's. I think I75 North of Tampa is 75mph meaning everyone does 80 or more. So my highway mpg could be worse cuz of that. I'm heading up to Asheville NC next weekend so I will see just how good/or bad the hwy mileage truly is.

Gearing in the GD3 Sport and VTEC settings kinda hurt us beyond the mid 3k range on the highway.

60-65mph seems to return the most agreeable results. After 70 efficiency drops of considerably. But getting 30mpg at ~80mph is still plenty for me.
i was expecting similar hwy mpg's as my civic considering that it had the same exact gearing ratio's.. I could get 35-37mpg in the civic on the Highway. Perhaps the Fit has a worse coefficient of drag, and the engine just works a lot harder?

I'll see for sure what it does on the hwy in 2 weeks and report back.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Florida is also flatter than a pancake, so possibly you should be doing better_

I might pass you heading South! Flash all the SSM Fits you see w/ Red front/rear badges. I'll look out for Blue Sensations.

We'll compare notes in a few weeks.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
This corresponds pretty well with my Manual Fit Sport highway mileage. I recently did a rountrip to Houston and back (1k miles total) while cruising at 75-80mph. My calculated MPG was 32-33 average. I slowed down to 65 for about 50 miles just to see what the computer would say, and it before I did the TSB fix it showed in the 40's (so probably ~36mpg in reality). In the City (after my TSB fix) my computer is showing ~35mpg if I try to be efficient.

I think the problem is the low HP output of the engine. The car is drag limited to 115mph according to Car and Driver, so when you're driving at 80mph you're behind the efficiency curve. In my 240hp S2000, It doesn't matter if I do 60 or 80, I still get the same highway mileage (~28 mpg). The automatic Fits seem to get better highway mileage but they have lower gearing.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by spets
before I did the TSB fix...... The automatic Fits seem to get better highway mileage but they have lower gearing.
What's a "TSB fix"? And, I believe the AT gearing is higher (lower numerically) than the MT models.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
look at my post I followed that closely.. I have owned both a manual and a auto. My best manual MPG is 46.4 My best Auto is 40 MPG. I admit I dont drive the auto as much on the hyway and durring break in of the manual I drove it more often on the freeway...
read my post they are good numbers... I fill till the nozzel clicks and record the milage at every fill up. I refill to full every time.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
i get anywhere between 45mpg-55mpg on the freeway and maybe 40mpg in town. and that is gauging with the scangauge 2.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
i've achieved up to 42.5 mpg in my 2010 fit sport m/t when i do 1 mph under the posted speed limit (mostly 69 and 74) when i drive to vegas and onto california, and thats with 250lbs of payload and my 200lbs too, if i kick it up to 4 mph over the posted limits (74 and 79) i see my mpg drop to around 35 - 38mpg. so needless to say i dont mind arriving 20 - 30 minutes behind friends in front of me because i have more money in my pocket than they do - LOL

Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
Farther, the TSB fix I was talking about is to fix the MPG readout in the onboard computer for the '09 Fits.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
i've achieved up to 42.5 mpg in my 2010 fit sport m/t when i do 1 mph under the posted speed limit (mostly 69 and 74) when i drive to vegas and onto california, and thats with 250lbs of payload and my 200lbs too, if i kick it up to 4 mph over the posted limits (74 and 79) i see my mpg drop to around 35 - 38mpg. so needless to say i dont mind arriving 20 - 30 minutes behind friends in front of me because i have more money in my pocket than they do - LOL
What tire pressures do you use for your tires? How you get 40+ MPG? That is insane. i never can achieve to more 37 MPG maybe I just don't drive enough freeway. Beside, I drive no faster than 50 at all times on freeway. I don't even use A/C. I also realize that you have mugen body kit, does that add more weight on your car?

Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
nice fit and CRX!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by be12nard
What tire pressures do you use for your tires? How you get 40+ MPG? That is insane. i never can achieve to more 37 MPG maybe I just don't drive enough freeway. Beside, I drive no faster than 50 at all times on freeway. I don't even use A/C. I also realize that you have mugen body kit, does that add more weight on your car?
i attribute my mpg to two things
1: my car is lowered almost two inches (and my mugen kit helps too probably another .5 inches)
2: i feel a sweet spot at about 66 -70 mph in my car, it almost seems like Honda wanted it like that, i think that when i drive slower i notice that i have to push harder on the accelerator to maintain that slower speed
and driving faster -well it is at 4000 rpm and has to move more air around the car, both of these things waste fuel (in my book)
the mugen kit hangs quite low in the rear but i think the front is a bit lower, therefor canceling out the rear being low
i run my tires at 35psi and on my trips when i get that kind of mpg it is completely highway driving - i leave salt lake city and pull into Vegas 425 miles later without stopping

Originally Posted by jazz6768
nice fit and CRX!
thanks! i really wanna sell it and get an S2000, i love my crx but it really needs to be a track car only and i really want an S2k

Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
i usualy get 42MPG! but for some reason my last few trips of 100+ miles have been giving me 36-38, its soooo weird! i think the winter gas just hit

edit: ahhh i looked again after i done a bunch of city driving mixed in with highway, and its at 39 with 200 miles... sorry about the false reply lol

Edit2: i just got 35MPG on another 100 mile trip.. idk whats going on...

EDIT3: just did another 100 miles and got 41.+MPG... argh.. i think i figured it out.. its the speed that gets me the MPG.. when i do 80+ miles per hour i get crappy MPG

Last edited by Vash; 11-02-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
09 Fit Sport 5 Speed Manual here.

Averaging 38.8 mpg for almost 12,000 miles since I owned the car brand new. With a high of 41.3 mpg. Hand calculated.

90% freeway 10% city is my daily commute. I rarely go over 70mph, cruising speed is closer to 65 mph. Stock tires are around 37 psi.
I almost exclusively drive with cruise control, so I can make micro adjustments as I drive (ie. slowing down while going up hill and speeding up going down hill)

Old 11-06-2010, 04:33 PM
well I'm back from my road trip..

My highway mileage was anywhere between 34-36mpg, that is going approx 73-78mph.

In the NC/TN mountains, backroads and the blue ridge parkway I was averaging 40+mpg..

So in conclusion, the M/T highway mileage (70+ mph) is good. But I get much better mileage (40+mpg) around town and in the burbs keeping it under 50mph.

btw; the Fit was sooooo much fun driving around on the Blue-ridge parkway and on all the twisty mountain roads

Old 11-07-2010, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
I get about 35-36 combined. Like someone stated earlier - its not how fast you go, but how quickly you get to that speed.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
i get anywhere between 45mpg-55mpg on the freeway and maybe 40mpg in town. and that is gauging with the scangauge 2.
this is crazy.... I would love to see that. how is it possible?

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission, Hwy Mileage