2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nerdiest Mod Ever

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Nerdiest Mod Ever

Chrome front turn signal bulbs. OEM Gen-you-wine HONDA bulbs, part number 33301- SZ3-003 from the Pilot. Chrome when off, amber when on, legal.

Name:  hq62x.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  172.1 KB

Name:  WZxI5.jpg
Size:  254.1 KB

Name:  ybg17.jpg
Size:  189.7 KB

The flash from my cell phone makes the bulb glow yellow out the back, sorry about the quality but cell phones are only but so good.

B

Last edited by rhyneba; 11-06-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:33 PM
i can dig it

Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 AM
What does it do? Not sure I follow.

I thought my "My other car is a Tardis" sticker was pretty nerdy.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
It's a bulb that is chrome looking when not lit and will flash amber when in use. This way it give a clear reflection in the headlight.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think it's nerdy, it's really kind of neat looking... The only way I would notice a subtle change like it would be if was parked beside another Fit with amber bulbs.... Back in the 80s I had the ultimate protest sticker on a VW Rabbit " Nuke A Gay Commie Whale For Jesus".

Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
I believe Sylvania make a similar type of bulb and it's available at Pepboys. I used those on my previous Toyota.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by Fitting
It's a bulb that is chrome looking when not lit and will flash amber when in use. This way it give a clear reflection in the headlight.
Ah... Give it a sort of quad headlight look?

The foglights don't do a whole lot - that would be a MUCH better place for the turn signals - the physical separation from the headlight fixture makes them more noticable when the headlights are on (which thanks to DRLs is "always").

Honda used to do this, and for some reason they stopped in the mid 90's on both the Accord and Civic. (1998 and 1992 to be specific)

Put the turn signals there, and you could probably find a way to put some really good driving lights in the signal housing. Heat might be an issue in there. If you're gonna do a crazy headlight mod, make it a crazy-pragmatic one ;-)

Old 11-07-2010, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
I think most of the people do this to eliminate the color bulbs to get a all clear headlights.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
nerdy.... not... I think he Ricer Vents definitely top that.

I do like the clean look of he chrome bulbs inside the chrome housing. hmmmm something to consider when my bulb goes.

~SB

Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
The foglights don't do a whole lot
I take it, you don't drive in an actual fog very often?

When in a fog, heavy rain (LOTS of little droplets, not some big drops), or blizzard, fog lamps can help quite a bit.

Your headlamps would do very little but bounce off the virtual wall of precipitation (switching high is just worse). When you turn on the fog lamps, they have a better chance of bouncing off the ground since it's lower and from there, some of the reflected light will get to your eyes. And although light from the fog lamps will still bounce off the precipitation, it doesn't have the same "whiteout" effect of the headlamps (mostly due to angle, I suppose).

On a side note, I love SoCal fogs (around Camp Pendleton and San Clemente), as you go up and down the hills on the highway, you pop in and out of fog. At the low points, the fog looks just like a ceiling, freakishly cool.

Back on topic... I like having fog lamps, and unlike most bozos around here, I only use them when I need them, like, in a fog (or fog-like rain and blizzards).

I need find a bulb (and adapter) that fits the turn signal socket... mine, not only isn't amber... it's just a void since swapping out the headlamp housing (the OEs don't fit!). And of course, my rear signals that are still in, are hyperflashing.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I drive in fog all the time. If I could legally drive with just fogs and no headlights, that would be good. A rear foglight would be good. The lights we have do very little. I keep them turned off so that the bulbs don't burb out.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
I like it. I've been looking for subtle lighting changes, so I think I'll pick up a pair of these today, thanks.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I did this a while back. I think it gives the front a cleaner look.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Subtle changes make big differences when combined. I think the front end of my Fit looks surprisingly clean, and then I remember I put the chrome ambers in there. Visually, that orange dot isn't doing anything for the design. I left the front ones for the turn signals because they aren't as bright as amber - ever.

Name:  parkingchrome014.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  parkingchrome007.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  parkingchrome002.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  16.4 KB
added bulbs:

Last edited by hayden; 11-08-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I did this a while back. I think it gives the front a cleaner look.

Sold! that looks great, thanks for the pic.

Originally Posted by hayden
Subtle changes make big differences when combined. I think the front end of my Fit looks surprisingly clean, and then I remember I put the chrome ambers in there. Visually, that orange dot isn't doing anything for the design. I left the front ones for the turn signals because they aren't as bright as amber - ever.

added bulbs:
Got a part number for that bulb? I'd love to do both at once. Also, the front blinkers are crazy bright as is...I'm pretty sure they project farther than my headlights.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by hayden

added bulbs:
I changed my parking light bulbs to LED wedge bulbs. I like the look of them better than the standard orange bulbs.

plus they match my headlight temp pretty good.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Socialvegetable
Got a part number for that bulb? I'd love to do both at once. Also, the front blinkers are crazy bright as is...I'm pretty sure they project farther than my headlights.
You might be able to use the half amber ones, that have just the front of the dome covered, and would probably only decrease output by half compared to full chrome amber. I dont have a part number and can't remember where they are from. Just cheap ebay bulbs.

I would strongly recommend that people not mess with the blinkers. The factory ones are designed/regulated to be bright enough to be noticeable in super bright conditions, such as direct front sunlight in the morning and evenings, the time when most of us are on the road commuting. Just wait until someone flicks you off, or cuts you off and you are thinking "what the hell, I had my blinker on." Maybe they make higher wattage ones, but mine are not as bright as stock - no way. They are darker orange too, which makes them even less noticeable to the conditioned eyes of every driver on the road.

I would look into super super bright LEDs instead (but not from superbrightleds.com ha). They will only make the front have little yellow dots in there when off - still cleaner than the factory amber.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I changed my parking light bulbs to LED wedge bulbs. I like the look of them better than the standard orange bulbs.

Also nice. Link to the bulbs you used?

Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Socialvegetable
Also nice. Link to the bulbs you used?
2 HID WHITE 5K HIGH POWER LICENSE PLATE MAP PARKING LED BULBS 194 168 158

Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
... Back in the 80s I had the ultimate protest sticker on a VW Rabbit "Nuke A Gay Commie Whale For Jesus".
LMAO!

Oh man, better watch those kinds of posts/comments these days... what with all of the "overly sensitive" types dominating entire societies! (especially in what used to be America... that is before the candy-@$$3d, politically-correct, thought, dream, action and speech police weirdos invaded our space)

Whatever! You know what they used to say, " _ _ _ _ 'em if they can't take a joke"!

Although, I'll bet you got some real strange looks from that bumper sticker. Then again, you live in Texas... maybe not!

Quick Reply: Nerdiest Mod Ever