2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Raise Redline. A really bad idea?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Slowbros
Considering what they don't have.....2500 lbs is quite heavy
Ok I am open to considering what they dont have..

Such as? Feel free to actually try and support these baseless statements.

You realize the GD fit is just shy of 2500lbs? The GE is heavier and both are just as lacking in amenities as any other car in their class.

You have demonstrated that you have nothing of value to share and don't have a clue about DSMs either.

Sounds like you were one of those kids who popped a motor because you swapped the stock t25 for a 16g, but left the fuel system and ecu stock.

In any event, this thread is about hondas.

Get back on topic or GTFO.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-16-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
As far as valvefloat on the L15s:
I could write you a dissertation on what is involved with valvetrain and rotating assembly revving out past stock redlines.

I have a long rod, destroked 2.0 with dual valvesprings and Ti retainers that revs to 10.5k before power falls off.

This is running a SMIM, 3" exhaust and FP5r/11r cams.

The Fit will be fine at 8k in stock trim. To take full advantage of a raised rev-limit it is implicit that further tuning and mods would be necessary. This is a mystery to no one, and it does not detract from what Lyon is doing.

That is what I am trying to get across here.

And I am more than aware, as you can see from past posts or my tech thread, that area under the curve is far more important than peak output. That is not what we are discussing, this is about the merits of being able to wind out our little 1.5s further. This when complemented with the right mods can provide large gains.

Dude, seriously nobody here gives a flying fuck what you have to say. This thread is about Lyon and Lyon's car revving to 8K, not another modified L15. His motor would be useless at 8K. You keep pointing fingers telling everyone that we're so close minded, when in fact we're not. We're directing the OP that it would be stupid, and given his current setup it would be completely useless.

You keep acting like you're top dog on this forum because you've got past experience with other cars, other motors and you've spoken to reps from companies, just STFU already. You backing this kid up, who's trying to make a home made patch so he can rev his 100 hp L15 to 8K will only result in bad things.

Add to this a homemade vtec controller than instantly throws the car into limp mode and you've got a recipe for disaster. Theres a reason you don't see more people with homemade vtec controllers, or more people hacking into ecu's to change redlines.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
Dude, seriously nobody here gives a flying fuck what you have to say. This thread is about Lyon and Lyon's car revving to 8K, not another modified L15. His motor would be useless at 8K. You keep pointing fingers telling everyone that we're so close minded, when in fact we're not. We're directing the OP that it would be stupid, and given his current setup it would be completely useless.

You keep acting like you're top dog on this forum because you've got past experience with other cars, other motors and you've spoken to reps from companies, just STFU already. You backing this kid up, who's trying to make a home made patch so he can rev his 100 hp L15 to 8K will only result in bad things.

Add to this a homemade vtec controller than instantly throws the car into limp mode and you've got a recipe for disaster. Theres a reason you don't see more people with homemade vtec controllers, or more people hacking into ecu's to change redlines.
Clearly I know a hell of alot more than you do, and as far as pretending this is not close minded:

Another horrible idea from Lyon...
Tells me a lot about you.

So by all means no one should try anything without clearing it with you first.

Surely this means you build tune and race your own vehicles from scratch and know everything there is to know about the L-series?

The reason we don't see more people with homemade vtec controllers is because most people are complete idiots when it comes to cars, and take for granted just how involved automotive electronics, like tuning VTEC solenoids can be.

You know for a fact revving higher will automagically lead to damage? Based on what actual evidence?

And where do I pretend I am top dog? Nowhere do I diminish the contributions of posters like ApexAnimal, Krimson Cardinal, BlueCell, scratch&dent, Texas Coyote, SilverBullet, mahout or others. You are completely off base here.

This is you sputtering and stammering because you are upset about being called on a stupid ignorant and inflammatory comment which sent us on this tangent in the first place, regardless of what merits the concept might have.

That is closed minded.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-16-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Clearly I know a hell of alot more than you do, and as far as pretending this is not close minded:

Tells me a lot about you.

So by all means no one should try anything without clearing it with you first.

Surely this means you build tune and race your own vehicles from scratch and know everything there is to know about the L-series?

The reason we don't see more people with homemade vtec controllers is because most people are complete idiots when it comes to cars, and take for granted just how involved automotive electronics, like tuning VTEC solenoids can be.

You know for a fact revving higher will automagically lead to damage? Based on what actual evidence?

And where do I pretend I am top dog? Nowhere do I diminish the contributions of posters like ApexAnimal, Krimson Cardinal, BlueCell, scratch&dent, Texas Coyote, SilverBullet, mahout or others. You are completely off base here.

This is you sputtering and stammering because you are upset about being called on a stupid ignorant and inflammatory comment which sent us on this tangent in the first place, regardless of what merits the concept might have.

That is closed minded.
Closed minded is being the hypocrytical stereotype of a douche that you are being by that your experiences with things will work in everyones situation. There is a reason Honda caps the redline where it does and yes theoretically there is room to spare, but when you step up and start revving to 8k where is your room to spare?

Where in my posts do I say that damage happens automatically? Get a clue, damage happens over time inside motors.

In the end, this all relates back to the fact that this motor with the supporting mods that Lyon has will not continue to make power past the current redline. Revving it to such will only be detrimental to the life of the motor.

Get off your horse, stop acting like you know everything and help keep this kid from blowing up his motor.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Ok I am open to considering what they dont have..

Such as? Feel free to actually try and support these baseless statements.

You realize the GD fit is just shy of 2500lbs? The GE is heavier and both are just as lacking in amenities as any other car in their class.

You have demonstrated that you have nothing of value to share and don't have a clue about DSMs either.

Sounds like you were one of those kids who popped a motor because you swapped the stock t25 for a 16g, but left the fuel system and ecu stock.

In any event, this thread is about hondas.

Get back on topic or GTFO.
You know the Fit is loaded with airbags and other safety extravagances whereas the DSM.....wasn't

That's a good bit of weight right there

Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
I stopped reading comments after I realised it was just a few guys arguing.

I also think this would'nt bring many gains. At 8k the engine is producing the same power as it was at 7k. It's not going to accelerate at all. Granted the OP is running NOS so it WILL benefit him. He will still be cranking out power all the way to 8k and then shift. Giving him a longer time to spray without shifting.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Slowbros
You know the Fit is loaded with airbags and other safety extravagances whereas the DSM.....wasn't

That's a good bit of weight right there
So you mean a twenty year old car is not as sophisticated as a new one? That is a revelation.

Nothing gets past you!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 PM
So you mean a twenty year old car is not as sophisticated as a new one? That is a revelation.

Nothing gets past you!
and you miss the point. Clever rebuttal.

Didn't the OP already blow an engine or am I thinking of someone else?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM

QFT. i don't think he's spraying right now either.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
QFT. i don't think he's spraying right now either.
So again, we're running with the mantra that because he currently cannot take advantage of it, he should not develop it for the benefit of those who could or might in the future?

How does that make sense?

So great, you don't like me or Lyon, fantastic, you can kindly ignore us then.

No one is holding a gun to your heads and making you post and suffer our drivel.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Closed minded is being the hypocrytical stereotype of a douche that you are being by that your experiences with things will work in everyones situation. There is a reason Honda caps the redline where it does and yes theoretically there is room to spare, but when you step up and start revving to 8k where is your room to spare?

Where in my posts do I say that damage happens automatically? Get a clue, damage happens over time inside motors.

In the end, this all relates back to the fact that this motor with the supporting mods that Lyon has will not continue to make power past the current redline. Revving it to such will only be detrimental to the life of the motor.

Get off your horse, stop acting like you know everything and help keep this kid from blowing up his motor.

That is an awful lot of emotion, effort and profanity for someone who is just merely concerned about a "kid" and his motor.

Doesn't sound like you have any personal grievances against either of us at all, for some untold reason...

So way to screw up and derail a thread that started off technical and promising, hopefully a mod will come in and clean up our banter...

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-16-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
I like Lyon's posts, with everything he experiments with that is one less thing we have to. Plus his posts place some entertainment among the many repetitive threads that pop up here...

Old 11-16-2010, 03:33 PM

Where in my posts do I say that damage happens automatically?
You imply precisely that here:

You backing this kid up, who's trying to make a home made patch so he can rev his 100 hp L15 to 8K will only result in bad things.

I am glad you have that covered for us, and I will let RCA know they are full of it.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:34 PM
That is an awful lot of emotion, effort and profanity for someone who is just merely concerned about a "kid" and his motor.

Doesn't sound like you have any personal grievances against either of us, for some untold reason...
Are you looking for a hug?

I don't have anything against you, just your opinions.

Spending the time/money to develop something that will be a hackjob at best seems to be a quality investment of time and money to me.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Are you looking for a hug?

I don't have anything against you, just your opinions.

Spending the time/money to develop something that will be a hackjob at best seems to be a quality investment of time and money to me.

So you mean this doesn't impact you in anyway? Hmm well then you can shove off.. It doesn't sound like many resources aside from arguably time are being stressed here.

If it works great, if not oh well.

Are we better off for trying? Certainly.

If the only issue you have is with my opinions, I can respect that. This doesn't change the fact that the bulk of what I post about is established in reality on a wide array of platform, including both ICE and HCCI engines for myriad applications, duties and fuels.

My main contention was that I just don't see how any of what we said prior to your initial post warranted the reaction you provided.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-16-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:15 PM
You imply precisely that here:

I am glad you have that covered for us, and I will let RCA know they are full of it.
Reading comprehension and you don't get along very well apparently. In no way shape or form does "result in bad things" mean instantaneous results.

Also where us your proof other than someone else's research that proves revving a stock l15 to 8k is safe and beneficial?

Guaranteed that any motor bisi has put out revving that high has supporting headwork.

Go waste bandwidth elsewhere.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Reading comprehension and you don't get along very well apparently. In no way shape or form does "result in bad things" mean instantaneous results.

Also where us your proof other than someone else's research that proves revving a stock l15 to 8k is safe and beneficial?

Guaranteed that any motor bisi has put out revving that high has supporting headwork.

Go waste bandwidth elsewhere.
You said without qualifying the statement, that revving higher WILL damage things.

Also, RCA out of Singapore is not some dude in a shed playing with the rev-limit, and I will take their research over your emotion any day.

If you can guarantee it without actually researching, then I shall PM Randall or call Bisi when I get the chance and see what they have to say.

Also Bisimoto stands to make a pretty penny being that they are the one of the only groups who offer valvetrain components for us, so it will be hard to determine whether or not springs/retainers are absolutely necessary for only 8k on a stock cam profile based on their word alone.

As opposed to just being good insurance. And who knows, maybe the stock cam its self is the restriction in VE that hinders our upper range breathing and there will be no benefit to winding past 7k in NA form.

This is all speculative at this stage, and notice how neither I nor Lyon are guaranteeing anything. This is an experiement, FFS.

You sure are getting worked up over this.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
@gd3vbp, you'd be better of ignoring him. He's better at arguing on the internet. You know the type. I'm betting I'll get some nasty reply to try to get me to react also but I'll be gone.

My opinion is that messing with going over redline is just asking for problems. Even constantly beating an engine close to redline will greatly shorten its life.

I can just see another thread coming soon about a blown engine.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:41 PM

You said without qualifying the statement, that revving higher WILL damage things.

So clearly you're just an idiot that never learned how to read. Stating that damage will be caused, with our without a qualifying statement does not mean that I meant instantly.

Call Bisi, I'm sure he'll be entirely honest with you as he was in my dealings with him in the past...

Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by gd3vbp;932963[U
]So clearly you're just an idiot that never learned how to read.[/u] Stating that damage will be caused, with our without a qualifying statement does not mean that I meant instantly.

Call Bisi, I'm sure he'll be entirely honest with you as he was in my dealings with him in the past...
So because you cannot properly communicate, that is my problem? You even change the language of the phrase each time to suit your purposes.

The word I used was automatically, as in by default. You are now back tracking and suggesting you were not referring to immediate after effects? Ok cool, but you are still suggesting that by merely revving past the OE limiter that damage is inherent and unavoidable with nothing to support that statement, when in fact you can PM Henry at RCA and ask him directly. It was partially through my efforts that he even offers the flash for us considering this was developed on their shop car.

So we agree that engine wear takes place over time and that driving habits will be the predominant factor? Good.

No wonder this nonsense has gone on for two pages, you don't even pay attention to what is being posted.

I intend to talk to a few groups on the matter, and you are overlooking the fact that engine was cleared for public consumption with a 7k redline. Running to 8k occasionally is not a radical concept nor going to cause component failure of it's own accord.

It is precisely attitudes and opinions like yours that would have us stuck with flat tappet cams, manual spark advance dials and crank start engines. So tell me how is a boosted GD/GE running past stock redline on stock valvetrain and bottom end any better off than the equivalent NA Fit revving past stock red line?

First you tried to tell me it was bad because no one offered it already. When this was shown to be a false premise through, you then go on to make up anything and everything that you feel might let you save face.

You did the same act in TheEvilOne's intake dyno thread and blackanddecker was kind enough to smack you for it. Are you some sort of cyber luddite? or does it make you feel good to pretend you are an internet expert?

You sure talk big, but what actual experience do you have with internals? Do you know how to decipher bearing wear? Oil fouling? Galled cam journals/rocker arms? cylinders out of round? Have you ever blue printed an engine? or checked for stud/bolt yield?

What have you built or tested that would allow you to make the absolutisms you so comfortably and confidently state in here?

The situation is this, you walked into the thread and made it plainly clear that you have a history of disagreeing with and hating on Lyon's experiments, then when called on it you devolve to swearing and appeals to populism.

Like Plato's Allegory of the Cave, you will be dragged into the light. All the better if you are kicking and screaming the whole way.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-16-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raise Redline. A really bad idea?