2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can you fit a 60 inch LCD in the Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
I couldn't get a 46" to fit in tall mode today, but was able to get it to lay flat with the seats down. That thing was dead flush with the backs of the front seats and rear hatch! The Fit never fails to impress me.

Just FYI for everyone else, it's not recommended to lay an LCD/Plasma down on its side. I don't know the specifics of it myself but yeah....

Old 11-25-2010, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
52 inch tv here WITH a stand all in box out of Best buy, was helping my second roomate move to a house out by my current city iam staying at. and he even sat in the passanger seat.

so it was all the back of the honda fit with seats folded down, it looked like we could put even another TV or 2.

Originally Posted by M4psycho
Just FYI for everyone else, it's not recommended to lay an LCD/Plasma down on its side. I don't know the specifics of it myself but yeah....

can you reference this? i actually lay my TV that way each time i transport my tv from my dorm to my parents house.

Last edited by Vash; 11-25-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:51 PM
55" with the front seat laid all the way back and strapped down. was a b!tch to get out.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
52 inch tv here WITH a stand all in box out of Best buy, was helping my second roomate move to a house out by my current city iam staying at. and he even sat in the passanger seat.

so it was all the back of the honda fit with seats folded down, it looked like we could put even another TV or 2.

can you reference this? i actually lay my TV that way each time i transport my tv from my dorm to my parents house.

Plasma TV Buying Guide: Nine Common Misconceptions About Plasma TVs
look at #9

there are lots of discussions on it....looks like the main reason is because the glass is a lot more easily cracked when it's laying down flat.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:24 AM
^^^Laying plasmas flat is bad myth. I drove my 50" plasma home, laying flat, open box, and it did NOTHING to the gas inside. Yes, more dangerous in that it could break the glass, but did not effect my TV at all. Just be careful, strap it down and drive easy on the way home.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drumsauce
^^^Laying plasmas flat is bad myth. I drove my 50" plasma home, laying flat, open box, and it did NOTHING to the gas inside. Yes, more dangerous in that it could break the glass, but did not effect my TV at all. Just be careful, strap it down and drive easy on the way home.
I believe the myth is that it affects the gas but that's been discussed lots and it's not the issue with laying it down flat. If anything strapping it down would be just as bad because you're adding stress to the glass. Just because you haven't had a problem yet doesn't mean it's not an issue. There is a reason why stores will refuse a shipment of TVs if they're found to be laying flat on arrival. It won't always happen obviously but you don't want to be the exception!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I fitted a 52" Samsung LCD HDTV in the Fit today! w00t!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by M4psycho
I believe the myth is that it affects the gas but that's been discussed lots and it's not the issue with laying it down flat. If anything strapping it down would be just as bad because you're adding stress to the glass. Just because you haven't had a problem yet doesn't mean it's not an issue. There is a reason why stores will refuse a shipment of TVs if they're found to be laying flat on arrival. It won't always happen obviously but you don't want to be the exception!

We are in agreement...the big thing I kept hearing was that there would be a problem with the "gas," when in fact it is the glass you need to worry about. Ideally, you would want to have it vertically for glass strength (like those glass trucks you see with the glass leaning vertically on the side) but horizontally is sometimes the only option. Again, If I had to do it again, I would use a minivan...

Old 11-27-2010, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
i just fit a 40''and a 32'' at the same time.....

Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I brought home a 55" on Saturday. It needed to lay at an angle, down at the rear and resting on my front seats. Having the buckets, it rested perfectly and didn't interfere with my head. I could have laid it flat and tied off the hatch, it was about 4~5cm too long, but figured why do that when I can just angle it and it was not going to move anywhere.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
As it turned out the sharp 60 inch TV came in the largest possible box it could be. The TV was already assembled into it's stand in the box so there was absolutely positivity no way it could fit in the Fit so I had it delivered.

I think this TV was designed to be as easy to set up as possible for the delivery people. It took them less than 5 minutes to get it out of the box, put on my stand and hooked up and turned on.

The TV was also a great deal at $1299.00 Delivered!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
I will be transporting my 50" plasma a pretty short distance, but I'd like to know how those of you with 50" or more who successfully transported your TVs vertically how to fit the box in. Diagonally? Angling it a little? Folding the front seatback flat?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
You'll have to make as much space as possible, and get some tie down straps (the smaller ones, for moving washers/dryers on dollies.) Fits in at an angle, and you will have to tilt it quite a bit to get it to go through the opening, but it should stand up once it's in there. Not sure how people put larger screen in there, but maybe the whole "standing up" thing limited me to 50". That, and I don't need/want a larger tv. I remember like it was yesterday that to have a 50" plasma (which I guess sounded cooler than "lcd") you had to be a professional athlete, or a rapper on MTV cribs (not that I ever really watched the show.) lol

Old 01-24-2011, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
You'll have to make as much space as possible, and get some tie down straps (the smaller ones, for moving washers/dryers on dollies.) Fits in at an angle, and you will have to tilt it quite a bit to get it to go through the opening, but it should stand up once it's in there. Not sure how people put larger screen in there, but maybe the whole "standing up" thing limited me to 50". That, and I don't need/want a larger tv. I remember like it was yesterday that to have a 50" plasma (which I guess sounded cooler than "lcd") you had to be a professional athlete, or a rapper on MTV cribs (not that I ever really watched the show.) lol
Thanks for your response. Plasmas are superior in picture hands-down, btw.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
A 60" LCD TV will fit in the Fit after all!

Originally Posted by wedgecon
While still in the box? What is the largest TV people have been able to cram into a fit?
Yes. The answer is most definitely yes. I just did it this evening. The employees at Best Buy were 100% sure it would not fit, but it dropped right in. Had to scoot the front seats up just a bit, but it worked perfectly!

You want proof, you say? LOL!

Last edited by DZeckhausen; 08-28-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added title
Old 06-27-2014, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
A little more proof the Fit is part TARDIS?

Last edited by DZeckhausen; 08-28-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:32 AM
60" TV and then some...

Purchased a 60" TV at BB.
When the sales person asked what kind of car I had outside he laughed and said it would never fit. He told me I would need a pickup or to have it delivered.

Well long story short, he ended up with a VERY long face.
He was stunned. It went in with a fair bit of room to spare. It lay completely flat on the floor.
I could easily have stacked two or three more 42 inch TV's on top of that 60 inch TV. All in their respective boxes.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:09 PM
55", no problem. As stated above, we could have brought home a 60". Here's the thread about fitting the 55: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1258399

Old 01-03-2017, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Reviving this thread, even though my comment is about the first generation Jazz:
I bought a 65" tv today for my mother in law. The sales guy laughed at me when I told him that I'll transport it in my Honda Jazz. He followed me to my car, he said to help, but I'm pretty sure it was out of curiosity.
It was sticking out about 10cm, but I was able to tie down the boot with a bit of rope and it was almost vertical, definitley still street legal.

Love my little Honda Jazz! Biggest small car ever!