2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 honda fit sport manual- Stock Air Intake, Aftermarket, or fabrication...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 PM
2010 honda fit sport manual- Stock Air Intake, Aftermarket, or fabrication...

I didnt know what title to give this type of concern b/c it might not have anything to do but here goes.... Please, no trollin, I've done some research.

This all came about b/c I was looking into a drop-in replacement K&N air filter b/c I did not have the money for an actual aftermarket air intake. Low and behold I found some suprising results from a particular website which I dont remeber (Yea, go ahead and troll, there goes my credability). Any who, my conclusion of my research that I saw and the fact that there are many types of after market Air intake out there, they do provide some degree of performance. However, the website that I saw did some pretty good research and testing of drop-in replacement filter brands in comparison with aftermarket, from cotton filter to those spongy looking ones.

In his study his research was based on the diferent types of materials used in the drop-in replacement and how well it FILTERS. It all came down to using the stock or K&N filter was better than the Napa and WIX.

He also discussed that while after market AI did have small gains in performance you actually sacrifice filteration and thus in the long run risk build up in the internals.

Getting off side track here but here goes whats really going on.

In my quench for more knowledge I thought maybe if I keep the same stock filter but some how provide more air to be sucked in.
So one day I took out my stock AI just to look at it and see if I could fabricate it so as to provide more air to be supplied. I looked for places where I could possibly drill holes (....n the trolling begins), thankfully did not do anything, so I put it back..

Then I came across this......

So then I unscrewed it and look at the inside as to see where the airways lead to. After using my flashlight and trying to finger in and around my assumptions led me to believe that it lead to the air ways just BEFORE it hits the airfilter.

Does anyone have any clues as to what part of this piece of plastic is suppose to do?

I thought that maybe I should test this out, by doing this I guess I'm providing more air to be drawn in while keeping the same airfilter stock.
So I drove around the block with the top piece of and after doing so....well

-I'm not gonna vouch that I did go fast nor was there any decrease in response, I did notice that it had a more deep tone when I pushed it.

What I'm asking if anyone else out there would like to conduct the same thing I did and see if you felt any difference.

Last edited by mulletboi86; 12-03-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: pictures did not show
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM
holy crap, so the picture totally did not show up and now i've confused u guys....how do you put the pictures up on here?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 AM
I am not a fan of K&N filters.
Unless you are religious about keeping them oiled and clean, they let way too much stuff into your intake. The only way K&N can let more air through is by making the holes in the filter larger. It lets in more air, but also lets in more trash.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 AM
save money and don't touch.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:34 AM
There has been recent discussion that ANY mods are negated by the ECU after a few weeks. Apparently, the ECU learns the difference in the fuel map and adjusts the map to get better mileage, thus, taking away any gains. According to DiamondStars, the only way around this is an ECU piggyback.

All this to say, modding for HP without an ECU reprogram is only changing the sound. =/

Just FYI

Old 12-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Leave it alone ^ECU is smart.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
sorry for the picture not showing up you guys...

Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by drumsauce

All this to say, modding for HP without an ECU reprogram is only changing the sound. =/

Just FYI
And throttle response.
Hp might be the same but throttle response is improved greatly with my intake.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
And throttle response.
Hp might be the same but throttle response is improved greatly with my intake.
I bet your ears are playing tricks on you.

If the ECU is balancing out the power, it is not spinning up the engine any faster. But with a cut air box or some sort of CAI, it will sure SOUND like it is spinning up faster (and our ears are a big way we equate power).

Zach (is a killjoy )

Old 12-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I posted up a quick DIY awhile back when I first cut the bottom out of my OEM airbox. This way I was able to keep the OEM filter and not modify any emissions equipment. The sound is fantastic, and the total cost was zero dollars. Looking for more power by simply changing out the intake is a futile battle.