2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Key fob sensitivity

I'll start by saying that I am obsessive compulsive in a lot of things and making sure doors, backpacks, etc are closed and locked securely is one of them. I have a work truck that has a fob and I can lock/unlock it from darn near 200' away. Is there any way I can increase the sensitivity of the Fit's fob so I don't have to continually run back to the car and get within 50' or so for the fob to work?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Put the key blade to your chin and try it.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think it's the key FOB but something with the sensor in the fit. (Maybe poor placement of the receiver antenna?) The reason i say this is because the FOBs between my Ridgeline & Fit seem to be the same/similar and I have a MUCH greater range on the ridgeline than the FIT. (this is the same with both sets of keys). I too wish I had a longer range on the keys as sometimes I have to walk back down the sidewalk (and almost cross the street) to check the locking of the fit.

~SB

Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 PM
My current worry is that after a couple of years, the battery in the fob will run low and what if late at night I am trying to get home but my FIT door would not open and alarm will not disarm because the battery in my fob died?

If I use the keyhole of the driver's door, then how do I disarm the alarm if it sounds when I turn the key to open the drivers door as I could not press the fob due to battery dead? Anyone know? thanks

Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
I don't think it's the key FOB but something with the sensor in the fit. (Maybe poor placement of the receiver antenna?)
That's what I'm thinking, my experience has been range is cut significantly if there is a parked car or two between the fob and the Fit. Line of sight seems crucial

Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
My current worry is that after a couple of years, the battery in the fob will run low and what if late at night I am trying to get home but my FIT door would not open and alarm will not disarm because the battery in my fob died?

If I use the keyhole of the driver's door, then how do I disarm the alarm if it sounds when I turn the key to open the drivers door as I could not press the fob due to battery dead? Anyone know? thanks
well, as your battery runs low, the range will get even shorter. it won't die over night (or even within a week)... it'll just get worse and worse. so you have time to change it, unless you flat out ignore it.

I think I read that if you put the key in the ignition (maybe turn it too?), it'll turn off the blaring alarm. of course, then the alarm will never arm itself until you do replace the battery (but you can still lock the doors! manually).

Old 01-06-2011, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pitchafit
Put the key blade to your chin and try it.
This works well for any fob device. I get more distance and almost 100% success rate by doing this with the fob for the company electric gate. I don't know why it helps, but it does!

Dan

Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
This works well for any fob device. I get more distance and almost 100% success rate by doing this with the fob for the company electric gate. I don't know why it helps, but it does!

Dan
Did you find this more effective than trying it from simply above your head?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
Absolutely. Even above the head pointing in the exact direction. Under the chin touching the bone, I don't need to point in a direction. It's freaky, but it works. And since I have bad shoulders, they prefer it as well.

Dan

Old 01-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I get a lot more than 50 feet out of my fob - I'm thinking about 100 or 150 if I wave it around and aim it a bit. Sometimes I even lock my Fit's doors from inside my apartment through my 2nd floor window, partly through the top of a tree, and across the lot. If I were you I would first try changing the battery.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Dan
Absolutely. Even above the head pointing in the exact direction. Under the chin touching the bone, I don't need to point in a direction. It's freaky, but it works. And since I have bad shoulders, they prefer it as well.

Dan
it works b/c the inside of your skull is essentially a parabola. the signal goes through your face to the back of your skull and then bounces back in the direction you are looking which focuses the more of the signal in the direction of your car instead of just going in all directions. It's basically works like the dish you might use to get satellite TV.