2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks 555, I figured you'd respond

I'd love to have Project Mu pads, just wondering where i'd get them from and hoping it won't be outrageously expensive stateside, i'll take a look around.

I don't regularly bang on my brakes or track my car (yet haha) but I do see some mountains from time to time traveling. HPS or EBC would probably be fine for me but i'd like to try the Project Mu pads just for the experience.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Do the Mu pads squeal till you really work the heat in and keep it in? Or is one good 45-0mph cycle enough?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
I've had a bad experience with the EBC green stuff. They made horrible noise and glazed without much hard braking.

I now have Hawk HPS pads and I'm very pleased with their performance. They do make some noise (normal light grinding brake noise) occasionally, they are solid for daily and light mountain runs.

The HPS are heavy on brake dust. I'm not completely sure if it's the combination of the rotors and the pads or just the pads but, my wheels are a different color front to rear a week after a wash. i currently have matte bronze front wheels and the rears are gun metallic due to the dust.

I want to try the project mu's with brembo blanks and motul 5.1 on my next brake service. I only wish I had the funds for a set of spoon calipers.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:55 PM
The stock calipers are more than adequate. The only reason I would consider them (spoon) is if they are considerably lighter than the stock units. Even then.. for the money, if you are not competing they are hard to justify outside of the "bling" factor which Im not real big into.

And yes the HPS put out a lot of dust. I too personally prefer the HPS pads over the EBCs

I would definitely recommend getting some blank, slotted or drilled brembos. Had the drilled pair I picked up cryo'd.

The Motul 5.1 fluid I am a fan of but havent really pushed the car hard enough to need it but its there for the next time I get to go back to Road America.

I would also highly recommend the GoodRidge SS brake lines, they feel great. Firm up the pedal feel and will let you know when you get to the point that you are putting some heat into the system or as 555 pointed out.. they will let you know when you find the next weak link in the system, like the BMC.

At the moment until I pick up some RS3's I dont even have enough tire to justify the brakes I have on the car, or at least I havent since my last pair of star specs wore out in 2010.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I would definitely recommend getting some blank, slotted or drilled brembos.
Difference between Brembo blanks and OEM rotors?

I've always used Brembo as replacements, just curious, not ready to change rotors yet but when I am, I will be using blanks.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 PM
When it comes to the blanks.. zinc finish on the hubs makes them easier to get off lol

But in all seriousness, they incorporate some nice features.

Great high carbon material, "easy check" holes which my rota slips allow me to view on the hub, the anti-corrosion coating and their "pillar venting" design make their OE replacement rotors attractive options. I think they go at the same price as the Honda rotors so for me its a no brainer.

I dont know if there are blanks available through Brembo for our application. But I know tire rack has some slotted brembos in stock @ ~145/pair.

The slotted and drilled rotors do have less mass to absorb the heat, but you would be hard pressed to put enough heat in them with our lightweight underpowered cars even with a real sticky tire and some aggressive pads.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-23-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Ah very good, thanks DSM, I thought their cooling fins were superior in some way but didn't know about the rotor material and such.

I would run the slotted ones if blanks weren't available. 145/pair is a good price.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
I wish I could get some DBA Series5000 for the Fit. It's a shame really to have a platform that really is not at all associated with circuit use and not be able to get some better pieces for it. Though the Seido-Ya package is definitely tailored for circuit use...YUM YUM YUM.

About the HC+ I have and the noise, on track definitely no noise I can detect, in day to day traffic definitely squealing going on right now, but I don't really mind it at all, because well it just is talking and letting it be known it is performance oriented. I can quiet it up significantly with some Bendix Ceramlub, the last application I applied probably 8 or 9 months ago has finally let the daily squeal come back to life and I am just lazy to break it down and apply some more.

Definitely agree with DSM about the stock caliper, it definitely is not a problem really. Even the stock pads work for daily running about, but will easily glaze over if one is hard on that middle pedal or left pedal for those not rowing gears and playing footsie with the tranny. Tires are really more important on the Fit before going and upgrading brake components.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 PM
It just seems like the stock pads don't have enough initial bite, like you have to go way down on the pedal... i'm not really used to that and it just feels weird. I get out of my car, and go drive other cars and the first time on the brakes it's like night and day difference, i'm not talking performance cars either.

So by what you say 555 the Project Mu pads are more track oriented, I don't want any squeal on my daily, so will pass for now. The last time I tried EBC was in 2005 or so (haha) so I dunno, maybe quality is not so good anymore.

Hawk HPS it is I guess. Anyway the last car I had HPS on the calipers were pretty old, so I guess it's not really a good comparo. I'll try them again.

Thanks duders.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
I have had good experience with HP+ on my Camaro. I have EBC GreenStuff on my Fit and when the time to change them comes I will probably go with YellowStuff of HP+. The GreenStuff have trated me well, but I like to change it up.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I dont know if there are blanks available through Brembo for our application. But I know tire rack has some slotted brembos in stock @ ~145/pair.
There should be Blanks available as the rotor for the FIT is the same as the one used on the Integra GS-R and many other 4x100 hondas.

I have my GS-R rotors that I never put on that car and was going to sell them until I saw they would work on the Fit. They aren't brembo, but they are better than stock.

~SB

Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
I'm a big fan of the EBC Green's. Went through 2 sets in my last car (182,000 miles), never had any problems with rotors, great bite, maybe a little dusty, but that may have been mostly my driving style. I was thinking about using ATE power slot rotors ATE -ATE PremiumOneŽ Rotors
with the green stuffs once I wear out my brakes on the Fit. Only thing I dsicovered withe the greens, on a really brake intensive track (Beaverun), they did fade (on a stock CRX si, with Victoracers). I ended up using Redstuffs for the track after smoking a set of greens, but switched back to greens for autox.