2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fluid Changed early? (30K miles).

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitit2010
mine is doing that lurching from first too. So is the DW-1 the new fluid? I have the acura fluid ATF-Z1 that I am going to put in.
Yes, DW-1 is the newest stuff.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
was it released to correct some of the shifting issues specifically?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM
What does the color matter?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Critic
The transmission also engages first gear immediately from a stop, as opposed to before, where it would slam and lurch into 1st gear. Now it's easy to modulate the acceleration from a stop.
What are you doing? The Fit's A/T goes into first as you approach a stop. The mild bump/lurch before stopping is annoying to some. This is the first I've heard anyone complain about accelerating from a stop.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
was it released to correct some of the shifting issues specifically?
More info here:

Honda Civic Forum - View Single Post - The new Honda ATF-DW1

Originally Posted by OneFitTwoFit
What does the color matter?
It should not, in theory.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
What are you doing? The Fit's A/T goes into first as you approach a stop. The mild bump/lurch before stopping is annoying to some. This is the first I've heard anyone complain about accelerating from a stop.
When you gently accelerated from a stop, such as when one navigates a parking lot, I was noticing the classic "DBW throttle lag." You would push down the accelerator slightly, but it moves a little less than you'd expect; you push it down a bit more, then it jerks and goes forward a more than you wanted. I've seen car reviewers describe it as the "caffeinated squirrel" behavior.

After the transmission service, this symptom was completely gone. So I'm guessing that it has to do with gear engagement in some way.

Last edited by The Critic; 05-25-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Critic
When you gently accelerated from a stop, such as when one navigates a parking lot, I was noticing the classic "DBW throttle lag." You would push down the accelerator slightly, but it moves a little less than you'd expect; you push it down a bit more, then it jerks and goes forward a more than you wanted. I've seen car reviewers describe it as the "caffeinated squirrel" behavior.

After the transmission service, this symptom was completely gone. So I'm guessing that it has to do with gear engagement in some way.
Torque converter maybe. The lighter transmission fluid may raise the stall speed slightly.

I notice no DBW lag any more than mechanical throttle bodied hondas of yesteryear. It seems to open the throttle more in relation to pedal movement at first; this might contribute to perceived squirrelliness of the car. Most people learn to love it. There is some built in lag when closing the throttle. I think this is to achieve ulev status but it made driving the manual transmission Fit annoying for me.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Just wanted to say that, thanks to this thread, I decided to change my AT fluid early at 22kmi to DW1. It looked almost as bad as Shora's pictures, so I'm glad I changed it out. I have to say though, I didn't really notice a huge difference in shift quality.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
I'm doing this now. Anyone have the torque spec on the drain plug? It was pretty tight when I removed it.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Hope you have a fresh crush washer. You'll feel it give, then snug it a bit more. 29 lbf·ft

Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
I think I did about 29 lbft. Yup I had a new crush washer ;-) the hardest part were the clamps. the tranny no longer lurches at a stop

Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 AM
This thread reminds me of why I only buy manuals. Love automatics and the convenience they provide. Don't love not being in control off the shift. Don't love the heightened chance for an issue. Just did my first manual transmission fluid change. 1.5 quarts (at 8 bucks a quart). Took about 15 minutes. No filter. Easy access to the plugs. Good until over 100k now.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I think I did about 29 lbft. Yup I had a new crush washer ;-) the hardest part were the clamps. the tranny no longer lurches at a stop
Correction - my mistake, it's actually 36 lbf·ft, but I'm sure you're good.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
We did another drain/fill at 39k miles. The transmission still shifts smoothly.

The heck with this 60k mile change interval thing. Change it every second oil change at the latest, if you're going according to the maintenance minder.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
I think that I am going to get 3 quarts of DW-1, and drain and replenish again, and then Ill have like a 75% oil change since I have access to a car lift this weekend ;-) The Acura / Honda ATF-Z1 I put in the other day. Too bad you can't drain the TC.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
I have 126k on my 09 and it ticks perfect. No leaks or issues.

engine oil every 3500-4000

tranny fluid
clutch line flush
brake flush
coolant flush

all every 25k miles

Old school maintenance > some stupid reminder system to change engine oil at 10k intervals

ALL HIGHWAY

Old 05-28-2011, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MiMi1
I have 126k on my 09 and it ticks perfect. No leaks or issues.

engine oil every 3500-4000

tranny fluid
clutch line flush
brake flush
coolant flush

all every 25k miles

Old school maintenance > some stupid reminder system to change engine oil at 10k intervals

ALL HIGHWAY
SAE, API, Honda > old school maintenance
225K (97 Honda 2.2) no leaks or issues.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:37 PM
My mother's cousin smoked two packs a day. Never took a sick day in her entire career. Lived to 85. I don't recommend her behavior as a general health strategy.

If you change your oil every week and your car never breaks? Maybe it's because of the excessive oil changes. Or maybe because it's a Honda.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
SAE, API, Honda > old school maintenance
None of them have to pay for repair costs to any of my vehicles once outside of the warranty coverages. I have said it before, and I'll say it again:

The current maintenance schedules that Honda (the company, not its independent dealers) endorses are to SELL MORE CARS.

People buy into the whole "low cost of maintenance, no tune ups until 100K miles" etc. etc. and since other makes/models offer longer and longer intervals between services Honda has to also. Would the regular Joe/Jane Customer rather buy a car that promotes 30K mile services, or one that states "no major maintenances until 100K miles" etc?

Also, believe it or not, Honda won't sell as many cars if their cars don't eventually break down to the point of replacement. They want you in that 2011 Accord, not your 1997 Accord.

225K (97 Honda 2.2) no leaks or issues.
So for your 97 Honda you followed 10,000 mile oil changes, 30,000 mile oil filter changes, and didn't change your transmission fluid until after 100K miles like the new maintenance systems suggest? What service intervals did you follow to keep that Accord in shape?

I'm not going to shove my own personal maintenance preferences on anyone else. I KNOW my personal preferences work well, and I plan on keeping my cars "forever" so I'm planning for it by keeping my car "over-maintenanced" if that's what you want to call it.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
None of them have to pay for repair costs to any of my vehicles once outside of the warranty coverages. I have said it before, and I'll say it again:

The current maintenance schedules that Honda (the company, not its independent dealers) endorses are to SELL MORE CARS.

People buy into the whole "low cost of maintenance, no tune ups until 100K miles" etc. etc. and since other makes/models offer longer and longer intervals between services Honda has to also. Would the regular Joe/Jane Customer rather buy a car that promotes 30K mile services, or one that states "no major maintenances until 100K miles" etc?

Also, believe it or not, Honda won't sell as many cars if their cars don't eventually break down to the point of replacement. They want you in that 2011 Accord, not your 1997 Accord.

So for your 97 Honda you followed 10,000 mile oil changes, 30,000 mile oil filter changes, and didn't change your transmission fluid until after 100K miles like the new maintenance systems suggest? What service intervals did you follow to keep that Accord in shape?

I'm not going to shove my own personal maintenance preferences on anyone else. I KNOW my personal preferences work well, and I plan on keeping my cars "forever" so I'm planning for it by keeping my car "over-maintenanced" if that's what you want to call it.
Do you send your fluids off for testing? Cuz that's the only way to know if you are performing excessive maintenance.

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid Changed early? (30K miles).