2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fluid Changed early? (30K miles).

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Trans Fluid Changed early? (30K miles).

First, I would like to give thanks to Clay for the great thread with lots of details and info. I didn't even know about the DW-1 before his thread.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...tml#post949456

There is not much that one can add to Clay's thread, but I decided to create my own just to confirm the info that he provided:

DO NOT WAIT FOR 60K MILES BEFORE CHANGING YOUR AUTO TRANS FLUID (Unless you're leasing the Fit or don't plan to keep it long term).

As of this morning, I was at 29,454 miles on my 2009 Fit. 90% of the miles are highway and decided to do the transmission fluid change before the Football games began. I was in pure shock to see how brown the original transmission was.

Name:  IMG_2048.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2033.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2036.jpg
Views: 3136
Size:  103.8 KB

Note all the metal shavings.

Name:  IMG_2038.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2040.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  65.7 KB

Magnet after its been cleaned.

Name:  IMG_2041.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2042.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  39.3 KB

Biggest shock is that Honda recommends that we drive 30K more miles on this fluid before changing it (new DW-1 on left, used Z1 on right).

Name:  IMG_2043.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2046.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  61.5 KB

Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
What kind of driving? It looks pretty dirty and would change sooner. It might be because of the higher temps down there.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I just looked at the manual for my 2010 Fit. It doesn't even say to change the ATF at 60,000 miles. It says that IF you drive in mountainous areas at low speed then the ATF runs hotter, and THEN you should change at 60,000 rather than what the maintenance minder says. Presumably the computer won't tell you to change it until long past 60,000 miles. If I remember right I've owned at least one car that recommended never changing the transmission fluid.

That said, I would like to see photos not only comparing new fluid to 30,000 mile fluid, but new to, say, 5000 mile fluid and 30,000 fluid to 60,000 fluid. Of course I'm not asking you to do that!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes, I seen it too in the 2010 owners manual Pg 251 (Canadian Version), that spelled out exactly as what Brain Champagne mentioned.

The manual used the word "IF" you drive in mountainous areas alot at low speeds resulting in higher sustained transmission temperatures, then changed transmission fluid more frequently. Honda used the word "frequently" to mean first change after 60,000 miles, then every 30,000 miles thereafter, for A/T only.

It seems FIT's on board computer will not know how mountainous our daily commute is to affect the quality of transmission fluids. If we wait for the maintenance minder, who knows when the transmission fluid change minder will come on, 80,000 miles? 100,000 miles.

So, in a nut shell, Honda relies on individual driver's discretion to interpret ate "mountainous" How mountainous is consider mountainous.. would small hills count? sloping drive ways?

Which brings me to my next paranoia in buying used cars....normally I like to find out who and lifestyle of the previous owner....how do we know the previous owner did his/her due diligence to change all these fluids as specified in the owners manual...

Last edited by Ric01; 01-16-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Says mountains, not hills.

That said, like oil I don't see that it can do harm to change it more frequently. I didn't see anything saying NOT to change it early like Honda says about engine oil since the car comes with break-in oil.

I noticed in fluid capacities that when you change the ATF you're not even getting half of the stuff out, so a fluid change is really only changing half the fluid, although maybe (please someone who knows correct me if I'm wrong) any metal particles would be more likely to settle in the bottom thus they'd be drained.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
You have to keep an eye on it, heat is what breaks down oil,transmission fluids. Changing the trans at 30,000 in the heat of Florida is probably normal. Its preventive maintenance and in his case, called for. I was on board that 60000 was the minimum but I just learned that 1 rule doesn't apply to all situations. Just like gas, some cars do fine with regular but that doesn't mean all cars.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-16-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
What kind of driving? It looks pretty dirty and would change sooner. It might be because of the higher temps down there.
I live in South FL, so it is indeed hot here but nothing odd that Honda shouldn't have engineerd the car for. Bought this 09 Fit base as a daily driver so it just racks up easy highway miles. No mods.

My 2009 and 2010 Fits are my first dabs into Honda products (used to be a Ford Guy). I've never seen ATF this dark in a car unless the transmission failed or broke in some way. In all my past experience, fluid would still look very clean at 30K miles.

Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I just looked at the manual for my 2010 Fit. It doesn't even say to change the ATF at 60,000 miles. It says that IF you drive in mountainous areas at low speed then the ATF runs hotter, and THEN you should change at 60,000 rather than what the maintenance minder says. Presumably the computer won't tell you to change it until long past 60,000 miles. If I remember right I've owned at least one car that recommended never changing the transmission fluid.

That said, I would like to see photos not only comparing new fluid to 30,000 mile fluid, but new to, say, 5000 mile fluid and 30,000 fluid to 60,000 fluid. Of course I'm not asking you to do that!
Scary that the manual says that.

We all know that one cannot or should not judge motor oil by its color (being dark doesn't mean its broken down).

However, most people that I know "do" take the color of the transmission fluid into account. This fluid, at just under 30K easy miles, did not look good at all and it bothers me that Honda recommends to change it soo late.

Last edited by Shora; 01-16-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
I've had Ford products in the past that didn't even have an ATF drain plug. Recommended changing the fluid very late (100K miles I think) and the fluid was still shinny red at those miles (here in S. FL no less with the same style and type of driving).

I honestly don't believe the issue is the climate. If you look at the pictures in Clay's thread (linked in my first post of this thread) you will notice that his 30K mile ATF is at the same state as mine was and he doesn't live in S. FL.

I am willing to bet that most, if not all, the Fits on this board have their ATF at the same state at 30K miles or so.

Honestly, I believe that the issue is either that the Z-1 fluid breaks down too fast, or that the transmission in our Fits puts unusual stress on fluids.

Originally Posted by SilverBullet
You have to keep an eye on it, heat is what breaks down oil,transmission fluids. Changing the trans at 30,000 in the heat of Florida is probably normal. Its preventive maintenance and in his case, called for. I was on board that 60000 was the minimum but I just learned that 1 rule doesn't apply to all situations. Just like gas, some car do fine with regular but that doesn't mean all cars.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Shora
that the transmission in our Fits puts unusual stress on fluids.
This point sounds interesting...Shora may be on to something here...

I am not a mechanic, but from my observation, a little press on the gas pedal can easily kick the engine to higher rev, , triggering AT gear change, can it be the gearing ratio specific to FITs,

Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Hey Shora thanks for the shout out.

And I do not think geographical location makes a difference with fluid degredation.

I live in Charlotte, NC and the fluid in my thread was probably a tad darker than Shoras.
I put 20K miles on my Fit in the 7 months before I changed my fluid that is in my thread. We had some hot ass days during the summer here but probably not the continual hotness of South Florida.
I could honestly say that out of those 20K miles about 2-3% was stop-n-go traffic or short runs, the rest was all interstate 60-75mph.

Like in my thread I always see ATF Z-1 fluid that color after 20-30K miles in my 94 accord.

I am so glad I did not wait for the car to "remind" me or the 60K mark to change mine.

If people are unsure, just unscrew the plug and drain an ounce or two in order to see the current state of the fluid.
I am going to do that every 5K miles with the DW-1 fluid I just put in a few weeks ago to see at what point it starts to discolor.

Clay

Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by naMtiF
Hey Shora thanks for the shout out.

And I do not think geographical location makes a difference with fluid degredation.

I live in Charlotte, NC and the fluid in my thread was probably a tad darker than Shoras.
I put 20K miles on my Fit in the 7 months before I changed my fluid that is in my thread. We had some hot ass days during the summer here but probably not the continual hotness of South Florida.
I could honestly say that out of those 20K miles about 2-3% was stop-n-go traffic or short runs, the rest was all interstate 60-75mph.

Like in my thread I always see ATF Z-1 fluid that color after 20-30K miles in my 94 accord.

I am so glad I did not wait for the car to "remind" me or the 60K mark to change mine.

If people are unsure, just unscrew the plug and drain an ounce or two in order to see the current state of the fluid.
I am going to do that every 5K miles with the DW-1 fluid I just put in a few weeks ago to see at what point it starts to discolor.

Clay
Really looking forward to the findings of your new tests.

I already know they will be very informative.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
I did a 3 qt drain and refill, which replaces 50% of the fluid volume, on a friend's 09 Fit at approx. 35k. At the time of the fluid change, the fluid was brown, but did not appear burnt. I refilled with ATF-Z1, and 9k later the fluid is still red. Although the fluid change did smooth out the shifts, I felt a greater improvement in shift quality after I had the onboard computer reflashed with the latest software. The software update was done as part of fuel economy display TSB.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by The Critic
I did a 3 qt drain and refill, which replaces 50% of the fluid volume, on a friend's 09 Fit at approx. 35k. At the time of the fluid change, the fluid was brown, but did not appear burnt. I refilled with ATF-Z1, and 9k later the fluid is still red.

Thanks for the info.
I won't know until I take my samples at pre-determined intervals with the new DW-1 to see its color state.
Your statement makes me wonder if the initial (factory) fill of transmission fluid contains more/less additives than what comes in purchased bottles of OEM Honda transmission fluid. Maybe the transmission beats the hell out of the fluid during break-in, if so then why would Honda mention 60K in the maintenance intervals.

Time will tell.

Clay

Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by naMtiF
Thanks for the info.
I won't know until I take my samples at pre-determined intervals with the new DW-1 to see its color state.
Your statement makes me wonder if the initial (factory) fill of transmission fluid contains more/less additives than what comes in purchased bottles of OEM Honda transmission fluid. Maybe the transmission beats the hell out of the fluid during break-in, if so then why would Honda mention 60K in the maintenance intervals.

Time will tell.

Clay
It's likely because the factory fill of Z1 contained a lot of break-in debris, and the metallic particles accelerate the oxidation of the factory fill, at least that's what one engineer told me. Can't speak for the validity of that statement though.

Unless you do a 100% flush with DW-1, you will not be able to accurately evaluate its performance.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
did you change the inline filter on the cooler return line?
25430-PLR-003

Last edited by jondotcom; 01-21-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
From another manufacturer, im sure the same can be said for honda's fluid.

Mopar ATF+4® has exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4® is not
permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4® also
has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4® fluid, color and odor are no
longer indicators of fluid condition and do not necessarily support a fluid change

As it says, the red is a dye. Only chemical analysis can reveal the true quality of the fluid. That being said, change it as often as possible. Wont hurt.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Purchased six qts of DW-1 at my local Honda dealership yesterday..at a cost of $7.78 per qt. They mentioned that new Honda's will be using only the DW-1 fluid from now on, and they won't be stocking the Z1 anymore, which was also over $7 per qt. Our Fit has about 20K miles, but I plan on flushing out the Z1.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Changed the transmission fluid today to DW-1…just a few comments that people may find useful.
I ran the car up on some 2X4’ blocks, one for each wheel. My car jacks are large and this provides some extra room for both the equipment and me. I then used two lift jacks on the driver side...one for the front and one for the rear. The drain plug requires a 3/8” drive for removal, and I had to use an extra long ratchet due to the excessive factory torque. Just be sure you are turning the plug in the correct direction. Once removed, I found that I could get more fluid to drain by raising the rear and lowering the front. Final amount of old fluid removed was 3.1 quarts. My drain plug looked fairly clean (20k miles), with only a slight film of metal shavings and sludge on the magnetic surface. In filling with the DW-1, I had to use two separate funnels since the transmission fill hole is located quite low. I installed a small funnel in the fill hole, and used a larger funnel above that one to reach up to the engine bay. Except for breaking loose the overly tight drain plug, a fairly easy job.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 02-06-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
USDM Fits have the Maintenance Minder system. It will display a "3" sub-item code to indicate the need for service, in my experience as a Honda service advisor it comes up on most cars between 30-45k miles. The PCM analyzes the fluid temperatures, average throttle opening, idle time, ambient temps, torque converter lock time, etc to determine a correct interval, albeit imperfect at times. The 60k interval is presumably in the manual for people who either ignored the maintenance codes or changed their oil prior to the code display and miss it.

As far as color, fluid with 15k miles will be discolored but performs normally and tests within parameters, much like discolored motor oil. Odor and lubricity are also considered. Besides, unless you perform multiple drain and fills or flush (not recommended) you will get at best a fractional dilution with a 2.5 quart replacement. Either way, 28k is fine, better sooner than later IMO.

Are you familiar with the Maintenance Minder systems?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
Are you familiar with the Maintenance Minder systems?
Someone who owns 2 FITs and goes the length to know about a recent change in Honda ATF spec to DW-1 fluid and posts pictures of their ATF DIY to this board with proper image linking is going to be familiar with the MM.

The point I take is that Z1 is phased out, Honda isn't making more of it. Therefore Honda's admitting DW-1 is better and Z1 is inferior. Accordingly, it's better to get the old stuff out now and in with the superior stuff.

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid Changed early? (30K miles).