2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why is Honda 0W-20 so much more expensive than 5W-20

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
FYI, I went to Farm & Fleet tonight for some things, and I was happy to discover there is a rebate for Mobil 1 this month. It is $12 back on 5 bottles, or $15 back on 5 bottles and a Mobil 1 filter, and you can do upto 2 rebates per household. The rebate is available at a bunch of other stores as well.

Mobil 1 $15 or $12 Rebate on Store Purchases

Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Oil is oil.

Any will work and none will cause failure if changed every 5-8K miles...

Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Nukedog
Oil is oil.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!! Wrong answer, but thanks for playing....

Seriously, do a little research before trolling so....

Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Oil is oil.

As long as it's a named brand and 5W20 - 0W20 if it's a 2011 - your pretty much on target if you trust the MM.

Welcome to the freakworld. What Fit did ya get?

K_C_

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 03-04-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
As long as it's a named brand and 5W20 - 0W20 if it's a 2011 - your pretty much on target if you trust the MM.

Welcome to the freakworld. What Fit did ya get?

K_C_
Thanks for the welcome but as i said (over 30 cars and over 20 motorcycles so far in life with ZERO oil failures) oil is oil and it all works just fine.

My last Turbo Busa used Mobil 1 synth or Shell Rotella T (non synth) or Havoline or Castrol. Whatever was on sale and lasted years without issue.

My SV1000S my Tundra 5.7 my 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner...All liked any oil.
Any oil is good and no oil is bad...lol

Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by rhyneba
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!! Wrong answer, but thanks for playing....

Seriously, do a little research before trolling so....
Care to dance..

It is all just an opinion (of mine) based on over 25 years of driving. I have used Walmart 10-30 synth (not a true synth either) in my 99 323 and only change it every 10k miles. Now it has 236,000 miles on it and it is the smoothest most mechanically reliable vehicle i have ever owned (German electronics are absolute junk though). Is that because i used cheap oil???

My point being is there is no use at all to over spend on something you change regularly or you are flushing money.

My Tundra (08 5.7) was a 0w-20 truck as well but the dealer always used 10w-30 conventional and warranty was 100% intact. I never noticed any mpg change either.

Last edited by Nukedog; 03-04-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome but as i said (over 30 cars and over 20 motorcycles so far in life with ZERO oil failures) oil is oil and it all works just fine.

My last Turbo Busa used Mobil 1 synth or Shell Rotella T (non synth) or Havoline or Castrol. Whatever was on sale and lasted years without issue.

My SV1000S my Tundra 5.7 my 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner...All liked any oil.
To continue your oil quest I'll point you to this great thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-starter.html

Enjoy the read - everyone should play fair, seriously - you know who you are...

Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Sorry in advance K_C..

So in your mind some personal anecdotes outweigh empirical data and negate everything we have learned about oil in the last century?

All those countless thousands of chemical and mechanical engineers are clearly full of it, my self included.

This is the reason we can't have any decent technical discussions on this board. That is your opinion, not gospel. Stop giving bad advice.

You are entitled to your opinions and you are allowed to share them as such that you provide the disclaimer that is just that, your opinion.

But you are not entitled to fabricate your own "facts."

So if I just run a 145w in the pan I should be good? Oil is just oil after all, and there is no bad oil, amirite? It's cheap enough, and I have some laying around...

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Aww DSM Dont be so straight lined that you cannot accept a well proven and long standing way of understanding our world and how it works.

EMPIRICAL RESEARCH

I'm tempted to go into my 36yrs experience of working with Civil Engineers - but that's a whole other Topic...

Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Aww DSM Dont be so straight lined that you cannot accept a well proven and long standing way of understanding our world and how it works.

EMPIRICAL RESEARCH

I'm tempted to go into my 36yrs experience of working with Civil Engineers - but that's a whole other Topic...
I don't believe I understand your first sentence.. I am quite familiar with empirical research in practice and it definitely does not involve the analysis of one persons non-scientific observations... The basic Groot's cycle requires far more than what he is providing as the basis for these statements to even advance beyond the first stage..

But I think I smell what you're stepping in Re: Civil Engineers. Weird lot, them.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Exclamation The Responsibility of Knowledge

All I'm saying is..........

Empirical Research is a way of gaining knowledge by means of direct observation or experience.
My experience working, in a professional capacity, with 'engineers' has taught me that they tend to be a very egocentric group, especially when it comes to dealing with other degree holding professionals and the world in general.

There is real good reason for the inflated egos, by the way. Engineer's are all taught the critical importance of their knowledge to the safety of their objectives.
We would all live in a drastically different world otherwise.

This is a fitfreak forum, not a dissertation defense. Anyone can sign on to learn about their Honda Fit and contribute with their understanding and experiences.

The responsibility of knowledge means, to me at least, the supportive conveyance of it as well as a demonstrated ability to maintain an open mind.

There, I took the bait, but ya catch my drift???

K_C_

Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
The guy that I consider to be the most knowledgeable person I have met when it comes to small engine technology and mechanics also was reluctant to acknowledge that there was no difference between oils except for in viscosity... He teaches small engine, motorcycle, and outboard motor repair in the Dallas Community College District and before doing that built and raced on the road race circuits, was co founder of the Central Road Race Club and mechanics education director for Kawasaki... His thinking at the time was that the function of motor oil was to 1. Lubricate...2. Clean ...3. Cool and change it often... This was 25 years ago, back when the only synthetic oil being marketed was Amsoil and electronic fuel injection systems had only been in use on BMW K 100s the Honda CX 650 T and a few Kawasaki sport bikes and there were very few water cooled bikes on the market... I don't know if his thinking is the same now but at the time his reasoning was pretty much on the money at the time, or I should say I think it was anyway.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Sorry in advance K_C..

So in your mind some personal anecdotes outweigh empirical data and negate everything we have learned about oil in the last century?

All those countless thousands of chemical and mechanical engineers are clearly full of it, my self included.

This is the reason we can't have any decent technical discussions on this board. That is your opinion, not gospel. Stop giving bad advice.

You are entitled to your opinions and you are allowed to share them as such that you provide the disclaimer that is just that, your opinion.

But you are not entitled to fabricate your own "facts."

So if I just run a 145w in the pan I should be good? Oil is just oil after all, and there is no bad oil, amirite? It's cheap enough, and I have some laying around...
It takes some common sense and of that you are lacking?

The only good oil guy i know is Bob. Want to talk semantics or sense but i'll play the 20 something childish game.

When my cars fail (they won't) and when you have owned as many with out fail (you won't) i'll venture to say (as the PE's and mechanical dynamicist say that i work with..oh snap) not all scientific data supports the real world.

Balls in your court...jester...

Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM
All I'm saying is..........

My experience working, in a professional capacity, with 'engineers' has taught me that they tend to be a very egocentric group, especially when it comes to dealing with other degree holding professionals and the world in general.

There is real good reason for the inflated egos, by the way. Engineer's are all taught the critical importance of their knowledge to the safety of their objectives.
We would all live in a drastically different world otherwise.

This is a fitfreak forum, not a dissertation defense. Anyone can sign on to learn about their Honda Fit and contribute with their understanding and experiences.

The responsibility of knowledge means, to me at least, the supportive conveyance of it as well as a demonstrated ability to maintain an open mind.

There, I took the bait, but ya catch my drift???

K_C_

happens a lot with service managers at dealerships as all they are is glorified oil change monkeys spouting the up-sale of the week!

Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Any discussions are easier to have when they are discussions that don't degenerate into personal attacks and nastiness.

I think that since so few cars suffer obvious breakdown from anything oil-related, that's not something we need to discuss. Nobody's oil is preventing a camshaft from cracking in half because that's not happening.

The question is what effect does a better oil have- in another thread I listed some possibilities- less wear (and then that just begs the question- what are the side-effects of more wear), more power, better mileage, lower temps... let's see the data. I think someone tested NYC taxis a few years ago and didn't see a difference but I don't know what they measured and if they only looked at engine wear and not fuel economy. That's why I asked UPS. Did anybody else ask their local UPS garage what they use?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:40 PM
It takes some common sense and of that you are lacking?

The only good oil guy i know is Bob. Want to talk semantics or sense but i'll play the 20 something childish game.

When my cars fail (they won't) and when you have owned as many with out fail (you won't) i'll venture to say (as the PE's and mechanical dynamicist say that i work with..oh snap) not all scientific data supports the real world.

Balls in your court...jester...

Except I build race and tune my vehicles and those of many others. I have probably built and re-built more engines than you have performed oil changes.

Your cars not failing has more to do with how you operate them, the environment they reside in and the factory that built them.

To suggest it is only the oil that makes the difference tells me you are now being intentionally disingenuous. And longevity was not the issue at hand here, and another indicator that you are out of your league in this discussion.

Like fuel economy, engine life is exceedingly complex and boiling it down to 2-3 sentences and having to resort to ad hominem attacks demonstrates for me and everyone else that this is you again trying to state your individual uneducated opinion as unequivocal fact.

You have a few scattered data points, cool I guess. But your mere 30 cars and a few bikes doesn't mean dick in the grand scheme of things as there exists so much that you are (knowingly?) not accounting for because you cannot back track at this point or you will look real foolish, huh?

And Bob's info comes from actual engineers and folks like Dr. Haas and other people who actually understand fluid dynamics. People I have actually conversed with and support what I am trying to explain to you.

I am quite well familiar with theory v. practice and it is something I point out here often.

You wouldn't use a straight 50w in a Fit now would you?

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-04-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Except I build race and tune my vehicles and those of many others. I have probably built and re-built more engines than you have performed oil changes.

Your cars not failing has more to do with how you operate them, the environment they reside in and the factory that built them.

To suggest it is only the oil that makes the difference tells me you are now being intentionally disingenuous.

And Bob's info comes from actual engineers and folks like Dr. Haas and other people who actually understand fluid dynamics. People I have actually conversed with and support what I am trying to explain to you.

I am quite well familiar with theory v. practice and it is something I point out here often.

You wouldn't use a straight 50w in a Fit now would you?
Once again your statements are so wide....left...right...that they make no sense.

I have done a bit of building on my own (1397 and turbo Busa (308rwhp) and while you certainly may be better and /or smarter than myself you certainly need to swaller your ego as i know guys that build stuff that make records and you can bet they are every bit as good and technical as your builds and most of theirs are at least 600rwhp to 2400rwhp and they don't spew the non-sense you are just to try and be correct.

I drag race, i build, i have done this a while and even though it is a hobby i have only ever had 1 failure...and that was when the Turbo Bike bent the output shaft at Bradenton, FL...

Old 03-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Keep it coming. I like the "board know it all" you play. You would be a LOAD of fun on a motorcycle grudge board or even a board that had some 10 second street cars. The would laugh that DSM garbage off the screen..

Old 03-04-2011, 03:52 PM
When you want to list cars and drag strip experience let me know...

Old 03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Once again your statements are so wide....left...right...that they make no sense.

I have done a bit of building on my own (1397 and turbo Busa (308rwhp) and while you certainly may be better and /or smarter than myself you certainly need to swaller your ego as i know guys that build stuff that make records and you can bet they are every bit as good and technical as your builds and most of theirs are at least 600rwhp to 2400rwhp and they don't spew the non-sense you are just to try and be correct.

I drag race, i build, i have done this a while and even though it is a hobby i have only ever had 1 failure...and that was when the Turbo Bike bent the output shaft at Bradenton, FL...

If you only have one failure to date you are not trying hard enough. I have a wall from parts that have been stressed beyond their limits.

I currently have a >60lb/min 2.0L, I have built a compound turbo 6BT ISB that made over 2000lb-ft at the rear wheels. I have worked on two cars that run mid 6's in the quarter. I have spent months on a team that built a light aircraft. My portfolio is pretty broad, so I can comment on a wide spectrum of issues. I also have the resources as well as the class room and hands on time to back it up.

This is the only public forum I am on. My personal cars are simply what I can afford while putting myself through school, and I do not use them as the basis for my statements.

I have worked with people who have taken my understanding far above and beyond what I could've done myself.

My current love of DSMs is for the brutal power they make for dirt f*cking cheap. There is even a 6 second DSM, and now a handful in the 7's. One of which is a FWD, the other is an AWD. This is neglecting the 2 and 3 speed RWD swaps.

My focus isn't even on drag racing. But please continue to make personal attacks.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-04-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is Honda 0W-20 so much more expensive than 5W-20