2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Another Fit - All 4 wheels stolen

Old 03-05-2011, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by buckyfit
sorry for your loss, that sucks big time. I hope those thieves get some major karma coming their way. I assume you're monitoring craigslist, ebay, etc to nab those punks.

$3200?!! how does that price breakdown work out?!
i think that's pretty typical actually.

btw, i'd bet his dealer is also my dealer... open road honda, edison.
these bastard charge $35.97 for a cabin air filter
and $65 to install it (which takes 1 minute)

Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Just make a trip down to your local black market and buy your own rims back. Simple.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
wheel locks are there just to keep honest people honest. if a thief wants something, they will get it

Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
wheel locks are there as a deterrent for Petty thieves. Someone patrolling for honda wheels will have a whole lock set at their disposal. It's like "the club" slowing down thieves from stealing your car. It won't prevent them, just slow them down and increase their chance of being caught which will make many think twice. It won't prevent however...

~SB

Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
I still haven't decided what I am going to do with the Fit. I am having trouble finding steelies for the car. I cannot post on the for sale/wanted forum, I don't have 20 posts yet. I need to decide soon, but whatever I do with the wheels, the car is getting an upgraded alarm.

@SilverbulletCSVT - Thanks for the link. Those wheels look good and I am very tempted. I am simply worried of making my car a target again. But if I cannot find steelies, I might just opt for them.

@spin out - yep, I took quotes both from Openroad Honda and VIP Honda. While VIP Honda was a tad cheaper, they said the Dunlops tires are on back order, so if I take the BFGoodridge tires, the estimate goes up to $3800.

@buckyfit - The dealership quoted $450 per rim and an additional $50 core price because I have not wheels at all. That itself is $2000. Tires, Center caps, TPMS Sensors make up the rest.

BTW, does anyone know what the $50 core price is for? If I get steelies or wheels online, I would still have to go to the dealership to have them put on right?

Last edited by paramthegreat; 03-05-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
The core price is basically a "refund" they give you for you giving them the "current" wheels (you're selling it to them). When it comes to alternators and batteries, it's a great thing, you have a reason to recycle something that isn't working now. But for wheels, I'd rather keep the wheels (perfectly useful).

@Buckyfit, I've seen that comment from various other members... I don't get it.

Are the wheels tagged with some production code linked to each VIN? The TPMS sensor can easily be left out. And if you kept your wheels scratch free, how would you prove the wheels are yours?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Another member on this forum is selling 4 2007 Stock rims for $200 here.

Do you think these will fit on the 2009 sport?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by paramthegreat
Another member on this forum is selling 4 2007 Stock rims for $200 here.

Do you think these will fit on the 2009 sport?

Yes the bolt pattern will fit but no tpms. You can't go smaller without clearance issues. Other issues would be overall height. I think that combo is small and may affect your speedometer.

-Ray

Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks Ray. So looks like the 2007 rims are no longer an option. Back to figuring out what to do.

Originally Posted by Ray731
Yes the bolt pattern will fit but no tpms. You can't go smaller without clearance issues. Other issues would be overall height. I think that combo is small and may affect your speedometer.

-Ray

Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I think it is still an option. I don't see enough difference in the sizes to cause any concern. If the rim offset is the same as for 09-11 Fits you're good to go. TPMS can move to any wheel I think (this I am unsure) but research yourself if this would be a deal breaker for you.

Use a tire size calculator like below and plug in your sizes. You'll see insignificant differences. Biggest change will be aestetics with the much higher sidewalls on the 15's. Maybe a tad less handling but tradeoff is improved ride comfort.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

sizes I compared:
185/55-16
195/60-15

_

Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
@SilverbulletCSVT - Thanks for the link. Those wheels look good and I am very tempted. I am simply worried of making my car a target again. But if I cannot find steelies, I might just opt for them.
While entirely your call and you must do what you feel comfortable with I suggest not letting the fricking thieves scare us from having what we want, enjoy, pay for and deserve. Isn't that what you carry insurance for? Buy an alarm and wheel locks again as a first line deterrent and hope for the best. If they do get stolen collect insurance again, rebuy new and turn another profit.

_

Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
OP, Any 15" 2005 or earlier civic or any 15" Integra Wheels (except 5-lug Type-R or 1990+) will fit. My winter snow Wheels are 15" Integra LS "Mesh" Wheels that I picked up for $50. Check out Craigslist for wheels. That's where I got mine.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 03-07-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb Insurance estimate ....

So yesterday I had a visit from my insurance auto damage adjuster. He basically cut down my damage estimate from $3200 to $1850. According to policy, Geico will not shell out $450 for brand new OEM Honda wheels. Instead they wanted to put "reconditioned" Honda wheels at $184. I could not convince them to put brand new wheels.

So I have decided to get the Honda wheels as suggested by SilverbullerCSVT below. The insurance agent wasn't happy about that since it means more paper work for him, but he agreed. Moreover, handa-accessories.com seems like a reputed vendor. What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
You're gonna thank me for this. You'll save a ton and still have OEM Honda rims but the upgraded 16" rims. These look nicer than the stock 16" Sport rims IMO. Limited time special though so I wouldn't delay.

Scroll halfway down the webpage below, $193 each includes center caps. Add shipping, lug nuts & locks, TPMS sensors, good tires, installation and balance. Your total should be less than half the insurance money you'll receive. Imagine nicer rims, brand new tires and $1,600 to blow or put in the bank. Somebody please steal my wheels.
Honda Fit Accessories - Discount Genuine Honda Accessories

_

Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
So yesterday I had a visit from my insurance auto damage adjuster. He basically cut down my damage estimate from $3200 to $1850. According to policy, Geico will not shell out $450 for brand new OEM Honda wheels. Instead they wanted to put "reconditioned" Honda wheels at $184. I could not convince them to put brand new wheels.

So I have decided to get the Honda wheels as suggested by SilverbullerCSVT below. The insurance agent wasn't happy about that since it means more paper work for him, but he agreed. Moreover, handa-accessories.com seems like a reputed vendor. What do you guys think?
What's a "reconditioned" wheel? I don't like sound of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
From what I was told, these are used Honda wheels that had some cosmetic damage and have been restored to near factory condition. I did not like the sound of that either, so I went for the other option.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Handa-accessories.com is reputable. I wouldn't have posted that without firsthand knowledge but wise of you to question first before ordering.

I have ordered from them multiple times in the past for my Accord and Integra. Their shipping charge isn't super cheap but not crazy expensive either. Their low prices usually make up for this. I alway compare prices to my door, tax and shipping included.

_

Old 03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
From what I was told, these are used Honda wheels that had some cosmetic damage and have been restored to near factory condition. I did not like the sound of that either, so I went for the other option.
Good decision. I'm going to read my policy now. Just in case.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
That's kind of mean, even for an insurance company. If your wheels had no damage (and how new is the car?) to give you something that's had damage repaired?

Another question is-- can you even find reconditioned wheels? I can't even find 16" Fit alloy wheels in any local junkyards.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
The wheels had no damage, about 12000 miles on them. I bought the car in Nov 2008, so it's not been too long.

Yes, they have a "preferred vendor" and they had the "reconditioned" stock rims available immediately.

Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
That's kind of mean, even for an insurance company. If your wheels had no damage (and how new is the car?) to give you something that's had damage repaired?

Another question is-- can you even find reconditioned wheels? I can't even find 16" Fit alloy wheels in any local junkyards.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
I would read your policy and see if it states when using reconditioned parts is acceptable. usually on a car with such low mileage, New parts are the only option in order to maintain the "value" of the vehicle. It may be due to age that they are claiming "reconditioned" is acceptable as it shouldn't be the mileage. Who is your insurance company? If I remember correctly, Progressive ins't available in NJ as they replaced the entire Drivers side Front & rear doors of our Altima with new OEM Nissan parts with about 12K miles on the car. I specified OEM OEM OEM... because I didn't want the vehilcle to lose value.

I'd question their policy and if they don't budge, I'd let them know you are going to be checking out other insurance companies. You don't pay your insurance such a ripoff rate (in NJ) for reconditioned parts on a practically new vehicle (mileage wise).

HandA is very reputable.

~SB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Fit - All 4 wheels stolen