2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Fit is a real love/hate relationship

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit is a real love/hate relationship

In a lot and most ways I love this car, for reasons that most people have about it.. But to my discovery today I gotta say I sometimes wish I still wasn't paying an arm and a leg for it.

I don't drive the Fit to work I another vehicle for that and ride with my wife. So I usually don't go out to it during the middle of the week, well if anyone has been up on the news (besides the tragedy in Japan this morning) the south east has been getting pounded with rain and flooding, I live on a mountain so flooding isn't really an issue but obviously the rain was, it appears that 1.5 days of straight hard rain will cause the door vapor shields to fail, and rain got in to my car. Now not as bad as some stories I have just skimmed through. I didn't have puddles or anything but droplets of water were coming out of my door panels and a little mist of moisture was on a few lower plastic panels. It wouldn't be an issue if I had a place to store the car inside but it has to spend its life in the driveway.

I have been thinking about building myself a shed/shop big enough to store my car in it and now I guess I have more reason to.

It appears that I've got everything dried out, do I have to worry about the internals of the doors? It surely looks like the speakers must have gotten some water on them.

Last edited by RevToTheRedline; 03-17-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Take some close-up photos of the issue, then go to the dealer. The car should not be leaking. we've had tons of snow here and recently it's all been wet snow/sleet/freezing rain, and for the last day, Rain. No issues at all.

~SB

Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Are you 100% sure that this moisture is leakage and not condensation? I found out early on that completely closing the windows with moderate to extreme ambient temperature changes caused droplets to form inside because of condensation, as the Fit is well sealed. Since I already had the OEM plastic exterior window vent visors, the only dealer option installed, I simply cracked the windows when parked to allow the moist air to escape. The original purpose of installing the vents was to allow fresh air to enter when it was raining, as I live in a rainy area.

Last edited by 2ndFit; 03-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Sounds like condensation to me, which will happen on the sheet metal and glass with the potential to come through door panels.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Excuse my Ignorance. But what is a Door Vapor Shield? I have to know what something is before I can look to see if it's failed.

Also, I live in The Pacific NW. Large quantities of rain come with the territory. My Fit is parked out in the open and has been exposed to large quantities of precipitation and atmospheric change. So far? No problems.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 PM
it goes between the interior door panel and the door

I've never had condensation issues either, though I drive a lot compared to most. I live in the Portland, OR area and we get more rain up where I'm at than the valley gets.. no issues. Fit does great in the rain.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
No problem getting water in the doors. It's normal. There are drains so it drains out with no ill impact.

It is a problem if water getting in the doors migrates into the car interior, and it is designed so that should not happen. Most likely you believe it is happening, but most likely it is not.

Get a cheap car cover, but make sure your interior is dry first. Or, if you don't use your fit, sell it. Resale is awesome.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Upon observation, it appears it was just condensation in regards to my first post, we just had and are still having a crazy line of rain storms passing through and not a drop is getting inside, apart from the mad dash to the driver seat and closing the door, heh.