2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

so aftermarket.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Unhappy so aftermarket.....

idk if this has been talked about before i searched and couldnt get anything that i know of. im still new...

anyways. i have made upgrades to my '10 sport such as a new exhaust and a spectra cone air filter. now i just thought after sinking the money in that i only have 23,000 on the car (all highway) and its still under warranty and my oil life is at 50%. now my problem is that i called my dealer and they said that if i put them on it would void my warranty. so this means i have to take the filter and exhaust off when i take it to get the oil changed???

any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
just change it yourself

Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by gohdunlam
just change it yourself
i dont have the stuff needed like ramps filter oil and all the money to put towards it job cut my hours...

Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
You can have the oil changed anywhere you like, it doesn't have to be the dealer. I need new rear brakes and an oil change,will be taking it to my favourite mechanic (not the dealership).

Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Codger01
You can have the oil changed anywhere you like, it doesn't have to be the dealer. I need new rear brakes and an oil change,will be taking it to my favourite mechanic (not the dealership).

oooo the light has came on but what about the oil life display? bc its would seem its on a mileage ticker?? or what not

Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
you can reset that yourself, just push the dial in for like 30sec, until it blinks

Old 04-29-2011, 02:30 AM
your full of crap. I rolled in with my fit with all the aftermarket bolt-ons and not a single void bs was involved... heck a conversation of "what next am I planning" was even struck and my fit was still 6k on it's 2nd oil change but when I blurted out "boost" is where they raised the warranty flag (which of course we all know is the appropriate flag was raised)

Old 04-29-2011, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ian-white
idk if this has been talked about before i searched and couldnt get anything that i know of. im still new...

anyways. i have made upgrades to my '10 sport such as a new exhaust and a spectra cone air filter. now i just thought after sinking the money in that i only have 23,000 on the car (all highway) and its still under warranty and my oil life is at 50%. now my problem is that i called my dealer and they said that if i put them on it would void my warranty. so this means i have to take the filter and exhaust off when i take it to get the oil changed???

any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
You can still go to have it serviced at Honda..they will service it, however; they wont clean the cone filter which they normally do with the oem, but they will do everything else... The exhaust is like the air intake warranties are null and void. And if you go there to have a problem fixed and they determine that your aftermarket parts caused some damages then yur up s*%# creek without a paddle...

If you purchased the service package then it makes no since to do it yourself becuz you've already paid them to do it, besides having proper and accurate records of when your car was serviced-especially-by Honda it will help maintain the re-sale value should you decide down the road to sell it.

My maintenance package has expired but I take it to Honda and pay the few little measly dollars becuz I know it's done right and if something happens as a result of the servicing I can always fall back on Honda to have it fixed.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
your full of crap. I rolled in with my fit with all the aftermarket bolt-ons and not a single void bs was involved... heck a conversation of "what next am I planning" was even struck and my fit was still 6k on it's 2nd oil change but when I blurted out "boost" is where they raised the warranty flag (which of course we all know is the appropriate flag was raised)

Not sure who your post was pointed towards, but honestly, try not to chime in a thread with such hostile words, it may only lead to e-fights. haha

to the OP:
depends what's being worked on for "warranty" purposes. eg- if you're lowered and a cv boot leaks, warranty will not cover since you tinkered with the suspension.

take it with a grain of salt: Magnuson

Also depends on the dealership, each one is different.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:44 AM
^^ I usually run away from efights

it really does depend from dealer to dealer

Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Ok- so mole wins as the first one with intelligent comments. Warranties cannot be voided wholesale by single parts. The way warranties and aftermarket parts work is that if the aftermarket part causes a problem with something that would otherwise be under warranty, no luck. So if your cone filter sucked in a rock, and it got into the engine and chunked a piston, you're boned. If your TPMS sensor in one wheel stops working, since the systems are unrelated, you SHOULD be safe. As mole linked, this is covered under the Magnuson-Moss Act. You have legal recourse if a dealer tries to screw you.

Note the SHOULD- there is a lot of grey area where dealers try to screw people around. They'll try and tell people that their WHOLE warranty is void if they put a K&N in, which is a load of dookie. Or, they'll say that you aftermarket wheels caused your intake manifold to crack due to excess strain. I've been to court several times on this Act, and won (I used to run several high-performance automotive shops).

As for not being able to afford oil and a filter, if you can't do that, how the hell can you afford to pay the dealership MORE to change it for you??? Sorry, but that argument doesn't make sense. If you'd said you're intimidated by changing your own oil, or can't because of HOA, okay, but yeah... logic fail

Even your very first oil change won't cost much:
Oil drain pan- $8-10 (get the big, open-top ones- less chance of missing )
Rags- $1-3 (if you don't have old t-shirts you can shred)
Socket- $1-3 (if you have no tools at all) for the drain plug
Ratchet- $5 (see above)
OR, a wrench ($3-5) for the drain plug
Oil filter- $8
Oil- $15
Pieces of scrap wood and a cinder block (ghetto, but it works!)- free
So, grand total- $41-49. Cost of a dealership oil change- $39.99 in most places, or more. So, yeah. After you do your next oil change, you're coming out WAY ahead. And so forth.

As long as you use an oil filter designed for your application, and the correct weight (5W-20) and grade oil for your engine, they can NOT void your engine's warranty. Save receipts, and use name-brand oil. Personally, I like Honda's 5W-20 for OEM applications, and you can get it online for $2.75 a quart or so.

So be brave, and give it a shot. You WILL make a mess, but learning to wrench on your car is a good thing. You'll save $$$ in the long run, and get to know your vehicle much better. Also, you'll know who to blame when things go funky Enjoy! Mark W.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
your full of crap. I rolled in with my fit with all the aftermarket bolt-ons and not a single void bs was involved...
WOW, Evil! You just said the guy was "full of crap". How do know you he is?

I had 2 Honda dealerships tell me even the slightest of non-factory mods would void the warranty on a GE. One guy said (a salesman) simply using a K&N Filter (because of the oil involved) would possibly void the warranty! But that doesn't make me full of crap... it makes the moronic salesperson full of crap!

I believed them before purchasing my GE. Experience on this forum has since proven Honda isn't quite so dictatorial or overboard about certain mods. Some Honda personnel just don't know what the crap they're talking about.

So maybe it's not the OP... maybe some numbskull dealer employee is the one in this instance.

"You're full of crap!" LMAO! Man, you're harsh, Evil-O!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ian-white
oooo the light has came on but what about the oil life display? bc its would seem its on a mileage ticker?? or what not
Actually I have 30% of oil life left, but when I had the lost motion spring recall done, their "complementary safety check" had my rear shoes down to 3mm ( front pads at 7mm). Since then the pedal travel has increased & the amount of pressure I have to exert on the pedal has gone up. So off I go to Ian & Michael to have them take care of things. I would rather do it sooner than later, shoes cost $ 10.00 ea, I haven't researched the cost of new drums if I were to wait until the brakes started screeching!