2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard starting up the car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
My 2010 Fit A/T has been having a hard start in the morning too. It will not start on the first crank. I have to crank it twice before the engine starts. Wonder if this is the same issue with you all.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Wow... I'm not the only one. I have 26k on my 09 Fit and for the last 1k I've noticed "issues" starting. The car used to roar to life like any healthy car, and now it sort of sputters to life. Cranking times to seem a tad longer than before, but the slow pick up in RPM once it fires is more concerning to me. I don't buy the changing temps/ECU adjusting theory because I would have noticed it last year as well. Most notable in the morning when I start the car (usually drive the car during lunch at work). It's garaged and I haven't noticed a weather correlation, but haven't paid much attention since it seems pretty consistant.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by cargun
Wow... I'm not the only one. I have 26k on my 09 Fit and for the last 1k I've noticed "issues" starting. The car used to roar to life like any healthy car, and now it sort of sputters to life. Cranking times to seem a tad longer than before, but the slow pick up in RPM once it fires is more concerning to me. I don't buy the changing temps/ECU adjusting theory because I would have noticed it last year as well. Most notable in the morning when I start the car (usually drive the car during lunch at work). It's garaged and I haven't noticed a weather correlation, but haven't paid much attention since it seems pretty consistant.
The symptoms sound a lot like a fuel pump issue. With FI systems, the fuel rail runs at a pretty high pressure. I've seen cautions in shop manuals that working on FI systems requires bleeding off that pressure, but don't know if it's typical for the fuel rail to stay pressurized when off (via a check valve, fuel pump design, or similar).

As an experiment, when you next start your car after an overnight period, try turning the key to "on" first for about ten seconds, then to "start" and see if it starts up better. Turning the key to "on" first should give the fuel pump time to repressurize the system before the engine demands fuel.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargun

Odds are its the battery. Honda had a run of bad batteries. Have dealer check your battery, especially if your still in warranty period.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey Guys, First Post. Just Bought a new '11 Fit SP a/t last week. Put 800 miles on it over the weekend. Sweet Car. About the starter issue. Needless to say I haven't had the issue, BUT I do have that issue with my Vespa lx 150. They have notoriously weak alternators so when the the battery gets weak it takes longer to start. It happens most when it gets cold. Or I haven't driven it for long distances. I have a battery tender. When the battery is fully charged it stars right up. I'm assuming its shootiing the gas more when its charged. Hope that helps.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Alex S;1002110]Hey Guys, First Post. Just Bought a new '11 Fit SP a/t last week. Put 800 miles on it over the weekend. Sweet Car. About the starter issue. Needless to say I haven't had the issue, BUT I do have that issue with my Vespa lx 150. They have notoriously weak alternators so when the the battery gets weak it takes longer to start. It happens most when it gets cold or when I haven't driven it for long distances. I have a battery tender. When the battery is fully charged it stars right up. I'm assuming its shootiing the gas more when its charged. Hope that helps.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Mine didn't start as quickly as I thought it should once or twice. Think I'll take note of it next time.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Fit 2009 DX-A

Hello. I don't know if this is the right place to ask question. But the thread title seems to be the right one.

About a week ago, I bought used 2009 Fit DX-A. It's only driven about 37000km and is/was in good condition. About three days ago, my car didn't start. So I just thought it needed to be jumpstart. So I got help and the car just started just fine.
Today, my car didn't start again. This time, it didn't even make the sound of engine running. It made one CLICK sound then that's it. Lights and other things are working fine just no start. I thought the battery is dead at first, but if a battery is dead, lights and all that shouldn't even be working. It seems like it's coming from either a starter or an engine. My car is parked at home so I'm trying to get a repaire guy who comes home to fix but I haven't being able to get him. I need some sort of help to understand this problem.

I did try to jump start again little while and it made ween ween sound but nothing happened.

Could this be just a dead battery even though lights, stereo, windows and etc works just fine.
Or could it be just some other thing? I am so hoping it has nothing to do with engine.
I don't know anything about a car so I hope this explaines what's going on with my car...

BTW, I'm the 3rd owner and the guy I bought it from said he doesn't want to say it has warranty b/c he didn't ask the last guy who owned it.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 AM
It could be the battery. Just because you have radio and lights doesn't mean there is enough voltage to start the car. Try jump starting again but this time leave the cables connected 5-10 minutes before trying to start. And then drive straight to shop and have your battery and alternator tested.

Being an '09 with 37K km your car still should have Honda warranty remaining. Warranty stays with the car not with the owner. Unless Canada if different for this but I doubt it. Just call any dealer and ask them.

_

Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KLO2009
Hello. I don't know if this is the right place to ask question. But the thread title seems to be the right one.

About a week ago, I bought used 2009 Fit DX-A. It's only driven about 37000km and is/was in good condition. About three days ago, my car didn't start. So I just thought it needed to be jumpstart. So I got help and the car just started just fine.
Today, my car didn't start again. This time, it didn't even make the sound of engine running. It made one CLICK sound then that's it. Lights and other things are working fine just no start. I thought the battery is dead at first, but if a battery is dead, lights and all that shouldn't even be working. It seems like it's coming from either a starter or an engine. My car is parked at home so I'm trying to get a repaire guy who comes home to fix but I haven't being able to get him. I need some sort of help to understand this problem.

I did try to jump start again little while and it made ween ween sound but nothing happened.

Could this be just a dead battery even though lights, stereo, windows and etc works just fine.
Or could it be just some other thing? I am so hoping it has nothing to do with engine.
I don't know anything about a car so I hope this explaines what's going on with my car...

BTW, I'm the 3rd owner and the guy I bought it from said he doesn't want to say it has warranty b/c he didn't ask the last guy who owned it.

If your Fit started right up when jump started your battery, like so many others, is down. The power load for lights is not as great as that for the starter motor. Dimming perhaps but not out.
Have your battery checked for a 'load test'; by a dealer. At 37,000 km (23,000 miles) I would expect the new car waranty should still be in effect, especially for the battery as there have been so many battery failures.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Re:is it battery?

Thanks mahout and SilverbulletCSVT for the quick reply. So you think it's either a battery or an alternator...

The second time I tried to jumpstart my car, I left the other car's engine for at least 5 min and tried for awhile... parhaps that's why it made some noise...

I'll try to start it again, mean while, I'm going to go ask shop guy at local place what could it be the problem.
So nobody thinks it's starter or engine??? I so wish I know about a car more!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks mahout and SilverbulletCSVT for the quick reply. So you think it's either a battery or an alternator...

The second time I tried to jumpstart my car, I left the other car's engine for at least 5 min and tried for awhile... parhaps that's why it made some noise...

I'll try to start it again, mean while, I'm going to go ask shop guy at local place what could it be the problem.
So nobody thinks it's starter or engine??? I so wish I know about a car more!
Did the jump start work both times as I thought? The noise came from where?
Did you mean you left the other car engine running for 5 minutes? And that sigifies what?
Normally when you jump start an engine you need someone in the donor car raising the rpm above idle, say 1500 rpm, so their alternator is producing full recharging capacity. Otherwise, expect the donor car to experience a drop in rpm and perhaps the noise you are talking about. And check your drive belt to be sure its not slipping and thus underdriving the alternator.
If the battery passes the load test, it indeed could be your alternator isn't producing enough juice to recharge your battery.
So have the battery checked first then the alternator. Any autoparts houses like AutoZone, O'Reilleys or Discount AutoParts usually will gladly perform the battery load test fir free, even if they don't know if they have a replacement battery. Ditto for alternator but its less easy.
both should be covered by Honda.
PS be sure you know your radio code before disconnecting the battery or use a parallel circuit to replace the battery.
If you don't know the code you can get the radio serial number using several internet sites procedures and a Honda dealer can tell you the code.
good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 06-16-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Unhappy

I asked the guy I bought this FIT from. and he said that, some 2009 fit does this. And he told me to depress gas (or break) and clutch at same time to start a car...
It sounds like weeeen sound, doesn't have "CLICK" sound any more.

First time, jumpstart worked. Second time no. Second time, I did run the other car's engine for 5 min. But nothing, WEEEN noise again.

My friend just checked it and she said it's probably the starter. Because she had exact problem and my situation seems to be exactlly the same.

So, I can try to jump start like you said (step on a gas of other running car) and take it to the shop... This is so depressing I didn't think 2009 car could go through like this right away... I mean it's only 2 yrs old, but I should've asked if I can take it to check up before I bought it...

Old 06-16-2011, 05:52 PM
I have this issue but i'm not so sure its battery related. It only happens if the car's been parked over night but starts up fine if i just shut it off and leave it for a few hours. Additionally, on really cold days, the car would crank and the rpm would shoot into the fast idle 2k area then drop to 1-1.5k for a second then shoot up again to fast idle mode. I've owned three hondas in the past and the fit's gotta be the quirkiest one.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:06 PM
I tried to depress clutch/break, and/or clutch/gas tried to start, held it for 10 sec. NO LUCK

Tried to jump start (with auto charger or something... not the one with a car) NO LUCK!

So at this point, I think I have to take it in. The guy I bought the car from, he said it's not starter... but who knows at this point... ugh

Dee K, I left my car for over night and died... First time when it happened, I left a car for 8 hrs (I was working).  Then jumpstarted okay...

thanks guys... I think I might ust call tow truck and take it in...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
If it indeed is a part covered under warranty, which it sounds like it is, then dont forget to get the receipt from the towing company and have honda reimburse you for the towing charges.

I tried to depress clutch/break, and/or clutch/gas tried to start, held it for 10 sec. NO LUCK

Tried to jump start (with auto charger or something... not the one with a car) NO LUCK!

So at this point, I think I have to take it in. The guy I bought the car from, he said it's not starter... but who knows at this point... ugh

Dee K, I left my car for over night and died... First time when it happened, I left a car for 8 hrs (I was working).  Then jumpstarted okay...

thanks guys... I think I might ust call tow truck and take it in...

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Excellent!!  Thank you everybody. I'm gonna try to just take to Honda dealer, and ask for check ups!!!