2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Transmission Cooler Installed - PICS

Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Transmission Cooler Installed - PICS

Finally Installed my cheap trans cooler today.

First order of business was determmine how I would install it. I decided to go with in-series after the stock cooler. So I had to disconnect the stock cooler lines, put them in empty cups, turn over the engine a few times, and see what one feeds the fluid.

TO SAVE FUTURE INSTALLERS TIME, THE TRANS LINE FURTHEST ON THE DRIVERS SIDE IS THE RETURN (COLD) LINE AND THE TRANS LINE FURTHEST TOWARDS THE PASSENGER SIDE IS THE FEED (HOT) SIDE. USE THE RETURN LINE!

So I disconnected the trans line on the cold side from the hard line on the transmission and routed to the front:

To the left is the condensor, to the right is my intercooler. I decided to mount the trans cooler to the front of my condensor, but with little stick on spacers to keep it from soaking any heat from the condensor.

First I had to rice up my trans cooler. That's right even my trans cooler is riced...

I used some fine wire and tied the only fan I have left to it. The most pathetically, uselessly small fan in the world! That tiny fan flows all of 3.5 cfm. Did it anyway for the shiggles.

Now I had to disconnect my radiator mounts to get som room to work with.

You can see the 'zip tie' going through the condensor.

It was just a matter of hooking up the stock hose to the cooler inlet and clamping it down, then hooking another trans cooler hose up to the outlet. Then I lined it up with the condensore, fed 3 'nylon rivet zip tie things' through the cooler and through the condensor and capped them off.

Wired up the fan

Then added some dw-1 to make up for for the extra volume.

Started her up, no leaks.

So I went for a test ride.

Then a curious thing happened.

*WARNING THE FOLLOWING MAY OFFEND YOU AND CAUSE YOU TO GO INTO RAGE INDUCED SPASMS, PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED! ALSO, THESE EVENTS OCCURED ON A CLOSED COURSE, IN MEXICO, ALSO, THIS IS ALL FICTIONAL*

You see I've always been skeptical of Texas Coyote's claims of beating late model v8 stangs (pre-2011 of course).

Now I know he's not fibbing.

I was on the highway, about to pass a random 06 Charger R/T (340hp 5.7L) There's alot of space in front of him. I go to pass and as I'm merging over he tries to close the gap. I get in in, in time, but he starts riding my ass and flashing his headlights. There's a car in front of me, we're going about 60 mph. So I rev my practically openpipe lawnmower of death. Then a mile later the car in front of me moves to the right lane. I drop the hammer. The charger is doing a good job of keeping up. Now it's 85 mph. He starts slowing falling behind, foot by foot. We hit 115, he's getting further behind. I decide to call it, slow down, let him pass.

So I finally have my benchmark. On pump fuel @ 10psi, From a dig, with a close to stock 06-11 SI I will lose to 30. tie at 50 mph and pull ahead at 60 mph. I'm sure a charger r/t would destroy me from a dig but I will tie from a roll 60-85 and start pulling ahead 85+.

I feel bad for the guy in the charger, he probably had to waste a whole gallon of fuel trying to keep up. I wish I could give him $4 for gas for the useful data he gave me.

Charger r/t msrp: $33435 25mpg at best, 15 mpg driving the shit out of it
Civic SI msrp: $22205 29mpg at best, 18 mpg driving the shit out of it
Honda fit msrp: $15100 + $1200 diy turbo + $500 blown engine = cheap, fast (enough), fun. 35mpg outside of boost! 24mpg in boost all day beating her up and I dump extra fuel in the engine to cool the charge, extracting no power from it.

Also, when I got home, the transcooler was doing its job! Feed line was hot hot hot. Still hot going into the transcooler. much much cooler coming out. Looking forward to guilt free break torquing.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 05-18-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
I call BS...

on the Charger keeping up till 85. hahaha Good shite!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
Would love to see vids of this....u need a camera man

Old 05-18-2011, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member

It makes sense now that I actually do the math. The charger makes 0.084 hp per lb. I make about 0.080 hp per lb. But I have alot more area under the curve. Also we both have slushboxes but mine 'should' have less loss. Most importantly I would bet money that the Fit has a superior drag coefficent than the charger. Charger is at 0.33, 09 fit is reportedly 0.30. Charger has 2.36 sq m frontal area. Fit has 2.164 sq m frontal area.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 05-18-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Do you know with absolute certainty the following about the Charger:

-engine
-transmission
-any vehicle modifications
-really trying or just playing a bit and keeping it safe

I'd say get it dyno'd and take it to the track to gather up some serious numbers for the performance data of your Fit.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
toss the tiny wimpy LED fan and slap a finger-choppin Vantec Tornado 80mm screamer, 80mm has a higher pitch whine than the 92mm. It's the only fan I used when I was OCing my AMDs on air

Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
toss the tiny wimpy LED fan and slap a finger-choppin Vantec Tornado 80mm screamer, 80mm has a higher pitch whine than the 92mm. It's the only fan I used when I was OCing my AMDs on air
Oh my God... I bought one of those once... screamer indeed.

Random people will be asking if he has a leaf blower under the hood.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Something else to keep in mind Lyon .... you're a pretty analytical / technical guy, which I respect, but IMO the major player here is...

Power-to-weight ratio

Yep, that Charger R/T may have 340HP, but it wieghs nearly (3961 to be exact on the new 2011 model - without passengers) 4000 lbs. versus the Fit's 2560 lbs.

That is a huge advantage for us when going up against an opponent, given that we have some performance enhancements in our favor.

Last edited by XJP5; 05-18-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Most likely the Charger guy was toying with you. He was waiting for the moment your car fell apart.....

Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
Do you know with absolute certainty the following about the Charger:

-engine
-transmission
-any vehicle modifications
-really trying or just playing a bit and keeping it safe

I'd say get it dyno'd and take it to the track to gather up some serious numbers for the performance data of your Fit.
Engine and transmission are certain. They only make the r/t with a slushbox. No visible modifications. It really wouldn't follow that he would 'olay it safe' after demonstrating such asshatery. It's possible, but now that I've sat down and crunched the numbers, what played out, is exactly what I would anticipate to have played out.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
I looked it up, that monster flows 84 cfm. With 5 of those I'd be flowing more air than my engine. I think I might get one for shiggles.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Finally Installed my cheap trans cooler today.

First order of business was determmine how I would install it. I decided to go with in-series after the stock cooler. So I had to disconnect the stock cooler lines, put them in empty cups, turn over the engine a few times, and see what one feeds the fluid.

TO SAVE FUTURE INSTALLERS TIME, THE TRANS LINE FURTHEST ON THE DRIVERS SIDE IS THE RETURN (COLD) LINE AND THE TRANS LINE FURTHEST TOWARDS THE PASSENGER SIDE IS THE FEED (HOT) SIDE. USE THE RETURN LINE!

So I disconnected the trans line on the cold side from the hard line on the transmission and routed to the front:

To the left is the condensor, to the right is my intercooler. I decided to mount the trans cooler to the front of my condensor, but with little stick on spacers to keep it from soaking any heat from the condensor.

First I had to rice up my trans cooler. That's right even my trans cooler is riced...

I used some fine wire and tied the only fan I have left to it. The most pathetically, uselessly small fan in the world! That tiny fan flows all of 3.5 cfm. Did it anyway for the shiggles.

Now I had to disconnect my radiator mounts to get som room to work with.

You can see the 'zip tie' going through the condensor.

It was just a matter of hooking up the stock hose to the cooler inlet and clamping it down, then hooking another trans cooler hose up to the outlet. Then I lined it up with the condensore, fed 3 'nylon rivet zip tie things' through the cooler and through the condensor and capped them off.

Wired up the fan

Then added some dw-1 to make up for for the extra volume.

Started her up, no leaks.

So I went for a test ride.

Then a curious thing happened.

*WARNING THE FOLLOWING MAY OFFEND YOU AND CAUSE YOU TO GO INTO RAGE INDUCED SPASMS, PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED! ALSO, THESE EVENTS OCCURED ON A CLOSED COURSE, IN MEXICO, ALSO, THIS IS ALL FICTIONAL*

You see I've always been skeptical of Texas Coyote's claims of beating late model v8 stangs (pre-2011 of course).

Now I know he's not fibbing.

I was on the highway, about to pass a random 06 Charger R/T (340hp 5.7L) There's alot of space in front of him. I go to pass and as I'm merging over he tries to close the gap. I get in in, in time, but he starts riding my ass and flashing his headlights. There's a car in front of me, we're going about 60 mph. So I rev my practically openpipe lawnmower of death. Then a mile later the car in front of me moves to the right lane. I drop the hammer. The charger is doing a good job of keeping up. Now it's 85 mph. He starts slowing falling behind, foot by foot. We hit 115, he's getting further behind. I decide to call it, slow down, let him pass.

So I finally have my benchmark. On pump fuel @ 10psi, From a dig, with a close to stock 06-11 SI I will lose to 30. tie at 50 mph and pull ahead at 60 mph. I'm sure a charger r/t would destroy me from a dig but I will tie from a roll 60-85 and start pulling ahead 85+.

I feel bad for the guy in the charger, he probably had to waste a whole gallon of fuel trying to keep up. I wish I could give him $4 for gas for the useful data he gave me.

Charger r/t msrp: $33435 25mpg at best, 15 mpg driving the shit out of it
Civic SI msrp: $22205 29mpg at best, 18 mpg driving the shit out of it
Honda fit msrp: $15100 + $1200 diy turbo + $500 blown engine = cheap, fast (enough), fun. 35mpg outside of boost! 24mpg in boost all day beating her up and I dump extra fuel in the engine to cool the charge, extracting no power from it.

Also, when I got home, the transcooler was doing its job! Feed line was hot hot hot. Still hot going into the transcooler. much much cooler coming out. Looking forward to guilt free break torquing.
Don't you just love these threads where the pictures Won't LOAD.....lmao..........z

Old 04-04-2017, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Much like the Camaro, a significant number of the Chargers are V6 cars, with tall tall highway cruiser gears. DOnt pull out of the hole at all, above a hundred hed probably roll by but up to there,,, small and light beats bad-ass ...