2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Slower accelleration at full throttle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:27 PM
Slower accelleration at full throttle...

Hey guys, over the summer I helped my gf pick out a "new" car and we ended up deciding on a 2008 Fit Sport. It had 135k but is still in amazing condition.

Anyhow, I have fun driving around in sport mode, using the paddle shifters and whatnot, but I've noticed something odd that I'm wondering is normal or not.

Basically the car has surprisingly snappy acceleration with minimal throttle input, up to about 1/4 throttle. However, pushing the pedal to the floor doesn't result in the same type of acceleration, it's a rather laboring speed increase, but as you let off of the pedal the car accelerates quicker than at full throttle. It idles smoothly, and revs smoothly.

I thought maybe a clogged air filter, but it's clean, so I'm guessing the injectors are not supplying enough fuel, either by fuel economy design, or there's a problem. Clogged injectors? Carbon build up? Or is this just the normal way the car accelerates? Because I feel like if the car were to proportionately increase acceleration from the snappy low throttle input, up through full throttle, the car would be damn quick, so maybe it's just a fuel map for economy?

Old 04-04-2017, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Mine will bang off the rev limiter no problem in first,second, and third... Sometimes quicker than I expect

You might check the throttle body, they tend to carbon up a little and since they are drive by wire it can stop before it hits full throttle, also check the pedal position sensor on the gas pedal. You'll have to pull the air cleaner box, (2 bolts 1 hose clamp, 1 cable, and the PCV pipe) to get at the throttle body, about 5 minutes. Is yours a GD (2007/2008) or a GE? 08 was a wraparound year in some markets.

Its also possible your VTEC solenoid isn't functioning..

Either way they are both fly by wire and have very very similar engines.

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 04-04-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
but as you let off of the pedal the car accelerates quicker than at full throttle.
I'd suspect a restricted intake or exhaust....knowing how often these cars crap the ignition coils I'd guess the cat may be clogged or broken internally....but I've also seen weird stuff like an air filter breather chamber filled with dog food (mice did it) causing restriction.

Got fault codes?

Old 04-04-2017, 01:51 AM
Hmm, I thought it was a GE, but looking now I see it's a GD.

I don't have the check engine light on, could there still be codes in the system?

I was wondering about mice stashing some seeds in the airbox lol, because lack of air was my initial thought, I'll have to take a closer look when the rain stops.
Vtec was a thought also, as I had a civic previously and the Fit doesn't have the same (or any) vtec effect at any rpm. I wish there was an easy way to check if it was a clogged cat, I guess eliminating other possibilities would be the only way.

I'll take a look at the things you guys mentioned, and see what I find.

Thanks for the suggestions, and for verifying that it shouldn't be falling on it's face when the pedal is mashed...the Mrs. will be psyched if I get it back up to speed, as she loves it already. And I can get a better paddle shifting fix! lol

Old 04-04-2017, 06:12 AM
5 Year Member
Check out the engine air filter and cabin air filter. Mice love Hondas or at least mine

FIT - Plastic sound dampening material from firewall on top of Cabin air filter

CIVIC - Cabin air filter

Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mrbones
I was wondering about mice stashing some seeds in the airbox lol, because
I've seen it a lot in my area....Best one was a turbo car that wouldn't rev over about 2000.
Next best was a 7th gen Civic with the big chamber over the trans FULL of dog food and a hole chewed through the air filter....a kibble (or a bit) was lodged in the throttle making the engine rev to its limit and preventing the shifter from coming out of park.
I wish there was an easy way to check if it was a clogged cat, I guess eliminating other possibilities would be the only way.
Unbolt the exhaust from the manifold then drive it.
verifying that it shouldn't be falling on it's face when the pedal is mashed...
Should be a steady increase as throttle opening progresses.