2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio code retrieval

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Radio code retrieval

We have a customer who replaced his battery without paralleling the connections so his radio code is lost. Not wanting to pull the radio, is THERE A WAY TO SEE THE SERIAL NUMBER USING A TINY LCD PROBE? If so, where do you look for the code on the radio housing? Using the S.N. and vin number Honda will get the code for you. Thanks.

PS the code wasn't written on the usual places like the glove box or ash tray (but it will now)

Last edited by mahout; 06-02-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
We have a customer who replaced his battery without paralleling the connections so his radio code is lost. Not wanting to pull the radio, is THERE A WAY TO SEE THE CODE USING A TINY LCD PROBE? If so, where do you look for the code on the radio housing? Thanks.

PS the code wasn't written on the usual places like the glove box or ash tray (but it will now)
The code should be with the rest of the paperwork. Did you check the underseat storage spot (lift up the driver's side rear seat)?

You can also get it from https://Radio-navicode.honda.com/

Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Also, wouldn't it defeat the purpose to write the code on the radio housing?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
Also, wouldn't it defeat the purpose to write the code on the radio housing?

Made no sense to me either. Anyone who stole the radio has the code.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
The code should be with the rest of the paperwork. Did you check the underseat storage spot (lift up the driver's side rear seat)?

You can also get it from https://Radio-navicode.honda.com/

No paperwork, bought used.
Haven't checked under drivers side rear seat but will. That makes good sense to do it that way tho dealer prep is supposed to add code to the glove box door or side.

And your link source doesn't work I understand.You still need the serial number of the radio.

Last edited by mahout; 06-02-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 PM
No paperwork, bought used.
Haven't checked under drivers side rear seat but will. That makes good sense to do it that way tho dealer prep is supposed to add code to the glove box door or side.

And your link source doesn't work I understand.You still need the serial number of the radio.
Which the link tells you how to pull from the radio display....

edit: though if it were used and not added to the ownerlink page, then that might not work.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Have you tried finding it via the Honda Owner link site?

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....Fprod_home.asp

Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Did you check the outer left side of the bottom glove compartment? Should be white sticker there with four digits and another series of numbers at the bottom.

Last edited by Neebs; 06-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
Have you tried finding it via the Honda Owner link site?

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....Fprod_home.asp

For all of you recommending the Honda owner link very clearly it states one of the 3 things needed is the 'device serial number' only obtained from the radio. Or hopefully with a boroscopre inspection probe as long as we can know where the serial number is on the radio housing.
Perhaps dealers don't need to but then of course they can charge $$$ for pretending to remove the radio.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:49 PM
For all of you recommending the Honda owner link very clearly it states one of the 3 things needed is the 'device serial number' only obtained from the radio. Or hopefully with a boroscopre inspection probe as long as we can know where the serial number is on the radio housing.
Perhaps dealers don't need to but then of course they can charge $$$ for pretending to remove the radio.
Since you don't read, from the link "All Other Models
Turn the ignition switch to ON.
Turn ON the device and confirm that the display reads COdE. If you don’t see this message, pull the backup fuse for 1 minute, and then go back to step 1.
Turn OFF the device.
Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device.
The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,)
And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.)
Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits"

Old 06-02-2011, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Doesn't your shop have some chick that can sweet talk a local honda svc rep into divulging the radio code with just the vin? Where's Rhyneba?

I tried on one of my cars and failed, then had my daughter call them, they gave her the number over the phone. Don't know what I did wrong...

Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Since you don't read, from the link "All Other Models
Turn the ignition switch to ON.
Turn ON the device and confirm that the display reads COdE. If you don’t see this message, pull the backup fuse for 1 minute, and then go back to step 1.
Turn OFF the device.
Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device.
The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,)
And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.)
Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits"
Where do you find a link to all other models. Didn't read it cause it wasn't there. Being old, I enlisted the help of 2 youg chaps but they couldn't find it either.
As far as the process you list, at least one of us tried that and lost his radio; seems pulling the fuse also is the same as uncorking the battery. In his case though he had his code and promptly got his radio back.
That process may work for Accords but the idea is to avoid pulling the radio..

Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 PM
You're hopeless, that was the link for non accords. Of course pulling the fuse is the same as removing the battery. When CODE is displayed, follow the instructions starting with turn off the radio.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Already noted here:

Radio off
Hold presets 1 and 6
While holding presets power on radio
Record serial number on display.
Post and wait or stop by your Honda dealer and any service advisor will get it for you from IN. They may ask you for your registration to prove ownership but that is legit.

Works on most Hondas 2001+

Totally different for Navi cars....

b

Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 PM
radio code is in your glove compartment. there is a sticker with the code. i did it before.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
You're hopeless, that was the link for non accords. Of course pulling the fuse is the same as removing the battery. When CODE is displayed, follow the instructions starting with turn off the radio.
HOPELESS WE MIGHT BE BUT YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T TRIED THE INSTRUCTION. We have, with a Fit that we had the code so no risk. When the fuse was pulled and power lost to the radio the procedure failed to work.
Here is the site instruction we used.

The serial number should show up on the radio. These are the instructions from the Honda radio code retrieval site:
  • Turn the ignition switch to ON.
  • Turn ON the device and confirm that the display reads COdE. If you don’t see this message, pull the backup fuse for 1 minute, and then go back to step 1.
  • Turn OFF the device.
  • Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device.
  • The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,)
  • And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.)
  • Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits
the nice service lady told me how to get my serial #: with the radio off, hold down the 1 & 6 buttons, then turn the system on. presto! the serial #! now i can go on the owners site and get my code.

We thought the key might be pulling the fuse with the radio on and after returning the fuse then turning the radio off but that wasn't it.

So like we asked upfront, where is the serial number on the radio housing? Surely someone has pulled the radio.

Last edited by mahout; 06-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 AM
[*]Turn OFF the device. [*]Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device. [*]The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,) [*]And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.) [*]Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits [/LIST]the nice service lady told me how to get my serial #: with the radio off, hold down the 1 & 6 buttons, then turn the system on. presto! the serial #! now i can go on the owners site and get my code.

We thought the key might be pulling the fuse with the radio onand after returning the fuse then turning the radio off but that wasn't it.

Those are the same instructions....... I really don't know what else to say... or did you not notice the bit about pulling the fuse only for 1 minute to reset the device?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Those are the same instructions....... I really don't know what else to say... or did you not notice the bit about pulling the fuse only for 1 minute to reset the device?
yes, even stopwatched the one minute.
we have comacross a new instruction getting ready to try before random boroscoping. One 'new' instruction says after displaying COdE, press the 1 & 6 presets AND the power button simultaneously rather than presets and power in succession. Soon as we get the Fit with known code here we'll try that.

PS you couldsay not hopeless.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Didn't you press 1-6-power back in December of last year?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...rror-code.html