2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation on right turn

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Hesitation on right turn

My 2011 Honda Fit base w/auto seems to momentarily hesitate on right turns from a dead stop?

At first I thought it was me, but if I am stopped and going to make a right turn, the car will respond normally and then into the turn will hesitate, like I briefly took my foot off the accelerator.

This does not happen all the time, anybody else had this happen?

JIm 0311

Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
When I was test driving the automatic transmission version (I have a manual)... it would pretty much do that as the turn was finishing. However, I never managed to come to a full stop either (stopping for a red light, but it changed just as I got there).

My only guess is the gear shift timing.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Have you tried the same maneuvers with the transmission set on "S" mode? Also, no flashing vsa light or triangle at any point during any of the events? Stock wheels, tpms and stock springs?

An intermittent wheel speed sensor could trigger VSA, just fishing a little....

b

Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
Have you tried the same maneuvers with the transmission set on "S" mode? Also, no flashing vsa light or triangle at any point during any of the events? Stock wheels, tpms and stock springs?

An intermittent wheel speed sensor could trigger VSA, just fishing a little....

b
Or maybe he's spinning his wheels activating VSA. Sounds like VSA either way. On the other cars we have that have this (mine is an 09Base so doesn't have it) it the drivers (daughter, wife) often comment about how it "lost power." They have heavy feet.

His is an '11 base (no S mode).

Isn't there a VSA defeat button? He could also try turning it off for a while.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I have a dealer appointment tomorrow and looking for any more input on this hesitating from dead stop into turns? JIm

Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
You waited 8 months to make a dealer appointment?

But like I said 8 months ago... I think it's the gear shift timing. It is shifting, mid-turn... which means you're getting reduced power to the wheels.

And sadly, I would add... it's probably "normal." Because after test driving the AT Fits (on three separate occasions from TWO different dealerships)... I noticed the same thing in the AT Pathfinder I was driving at the time. Hell, I noticed it on the Insight II I test drove before testing the Fits. But I never notice anything like this in my MT Fit.

Does the RPM drop during the hesitation? If so... it means, its shifting. And there's not much you can do about it... except drive in S mode and control the shifts yourself.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Actually I waited 11 months to make an appointment This will be my first oil change at 6100 miles

This is an intermittent problem, once or twice a month or so, it always catches me by surprise and I fail to notice the RPM's

I looked for an S mode, I do not seem to have one

I have done several web searches, I seem to be the only one having this problem. I hate to go to the dealer with a problem that only happens during cloudy days when the temperature is above 70 and mostly from a dead stop into right turns, but on even rarer occasions on left turns.

I would rather leave it as it is than have them start throwing parts at it! I hate intermittent problems, I wish it would just break

Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, I missed that you have a Base trim. S mode is for the Sport trim.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Are you accelerating normally and not lugging? The more modestly you step on the gas to try and go easy on the car, the worse it responds. My 09 auto was quirky with down shifting and lugging in certain instances all on it's own. The 2012 seems to have been smoothed out- almost all the quirks I noticed in the 09 including the lurch thing just before stopping, have been taken care of now. This may not be it at all but if you're not, push that gas pedal with some authority and 'push' through the gears instead of being light footed. The Fit performs better when you drive the thing, not baby it. Good luck. I hate intermittent problems too.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Took it to the dealer and they don't have a clue either! JIm