2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Replacing Brake Fluid

It's coming up on 3 years since my wife got her Fit Sport '09, and our 3rd oil change (she's driven it just over 10k). In the maintenance manual, I see it says

Independent of maintenance message in the information display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
I'm planning to let the local Les Schwab do it (as I don't trust my own abilities) -- the dealer wanted 2x as much for it. So I guess my questions are:

1) Can any reputable mechanic change brake fluid?
2) Do I really need it done by one of those "flushing machines"?
3) Is 3 years the right interval?
4) Anything I missed (I'm feeling like this is a moderately stupid question overall, but I'm unsure of myself w/r/t auto mechanics.)

Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 AM
1) Can any reputable mechanic change brake fluid?
Yes. It's relatively easy actually, but you can easily damage paint and plastic if you drip brake fluid onto those surfaces.

2) Do I really need it done by one of those "flushing machines"?
No. It just makes it easier. A "buddy" system works fine, too.
3) Is 3 years the right interval?
3 is fine for most, but I do mine every 2 years. Lots of heat from hard braking will degrade the fluid faster. That and most motorcycle manufacturers recommend 2 years.
4) Anything I missed (I'm feeling like this is a moderately stupid question overall, but I'm unsure of myself w/r/t auto mechanics.)
Not really. Again its something you can do yourself if you have some mechanical abilities. If not, it will be easier just to have someone else do it. Search the interwebz for some techniques and other info.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
It's easy. If you have a jack, jackstands, a set of flare-nut wrenches, a 1-man brake bleeder kit, and a willing assistant, you can do it yourself very easily.

Or just get a MityVac 7201 and you can do it yourself. I did a 1-man brake bleed on our Fit with my MityVac 7201. It took about 45 minutes to do.

If you can change brake pads, you can bleed brakes.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would ask here. How much brake fluid is needed for the job? I know 3 bottles is the standard for most cars, but this reservoir is sooo small. At $20 a bottle for Motul RBF600, I don't want to buy more than I need.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
1 liter bottle is what I have used for my 2 previous fluid changes. I would easily welcome $20 for some Motul, a .5L bottle of RBF600 goes for like 3500yen here. At today's exchange that is $92 for amount needed. I'm using Speed Master Super 5.1 at the moment.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 AM
1 liter is kinda a lot for a brake fluid change. you only need maybe 2 pints or so. just make sure your master cylinder has brake fluid in it at all times or else air bubbles will get in the brake lines and then you made an easy job into a harder one.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would ask here. How much brake fluid is needed for the job? I know 3 bottles is the standard for most cars, but this reservoir is sooo small. At $20 a bottle for Motul RBF600, I don't want to buy more than I need.
One benefit to using super blue is you know when the line is flushed because you start pushing out different colored fluid. Another benefit is it's on sale here:
Turner Motorsport | ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid (1 liter)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3814-ate-super-blue-brake-fluid-1-liter.aspx?utm_source=goog_product&utm_medium=feed &utm_campaign=ATESB

Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
also, here is thread where the guy says he only used 12 oz in his fluid change, well less than the 1L of ATE Blue for 12ish bucks. just get the super blue, push out fluid until you start pushing out blue fluid @ each brake, done.

Properly bleeding the ABS System on a Fit - Honda Fit Forums

Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
also, here is thread where the guy says he only used 12 oz in his fluid change, well less than the 1L of ATE Blue for 12ish bucks. just get the super blue, push out fluid until you start pushing out blue fluid @ each brake, done.

Properly bleeding the ABS System on a Fit - Honda Fit Forums

Thanks for the links. I might save some $ and give the Super Blue a try. That link above has the bleeding sequence almost opposite of every other car I've ever worked on. The standard is to bleed from furthest from the master cylinder to closest. Normal is RightRear, LR, FR, then FL.