2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

$200 brake cleaning?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:55 PM
$200 brake cleaning?!

My husband went in for his second oil change today (we both have 2010 Fit Sports). They had sent him a notice a month or so back telling him to come in, but we figured we would wait until the maintenance minder said he needed his oil change.

So he goes in today and they tell him he is supposed to have this $200 service where they are going to clean his brakes. With that he'll get his oil change free. He tells them he's just getting the oil change today and if there is something visably wrong with his brakes can they let him know.

They told him the brakes are sticking so he needs them to do this $200 service (he tells me he doesn't feel like there is anything wrong with them while he is driving...) but he told them he'll think about it for next time.

I don't remember ever having to do anything like this with our Mazda. Like if the brakes started squeaking we replaced them, end of story.

Is this $200 b.s. some kind of Honda dealership cash grab?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
I hope you get new brakes with that cleaning.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Complete bullshit. Find another dealership.

10,000/15,000 mile service in general is a cash grab, nothing on a Honda should need to be serviced within that mileage/time frame except for an oil change. He is not "supposed" to have to do anything other than that.

I'm glad your husband turned them down.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by nosewitdot
I hope you get new brakes with that cleaning.
That's what I said!! Total bullshit.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:20 AM
My first thought was make sure they change the blinker fluid also!

But then things have changed so I Googled and found

brake washers / brake cleaners / brake cleaning units at discount prices from ASE

So next time I go to the dealer to have my muffler bearing repacked I will also get my brakes cleaned

Was this a Honda dealer?
JIm 0311

Old 09-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Your husband made to right decision.

Brakes sticking??? The only issue I might mention regards the parking brake. It should be locking firm in 5-7 clicks and releasing freely.
I'm sure it's fine in your car.

Dealers make money on associated service on routine oil changes - some are a bit unscrupulous in their up-sale tactics. These guys are outrageous.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
Your husband should turn in his man card

Old 09-16-2011, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
i work at a dealership, and have for 14 years, WE DON'T SELL BAKE CLEANING! you should write Honda an email, I'm sure they'd like to hear this story - no really TELL HONDA

edit:
just out of curiosity what do oil changes cost there too? do you know if they use genuine Honda oil?

Last edited by vtecfit1; 09-16-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:00 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
everybody already said it, but yea, complete BS

Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
omg they told me the same thing they said it was part of the b1 service charging me 180 i said i dont have any money at all and just came for my free oil change.

the guy told me my warranty is effected saying they could say i didnt maintain the car well

Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 AM
There is a brake line flush that should be done every 3 years.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Wow. I brought my 2010 into Yonkers Honda for the free oil change. Not only did they not try to sell me anything (they might've mentioned tire rotation when I made the appointment but I said I wanted only the oil change), but when I asked about synthetic oil, explaining that the 2011s had the same engine and recommended synthetic, the service writer made a couple of phone calls and agreed to it. No extra charge.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 PM
I sent Honda Canada a (strongly worded) message about this.

Realistically, we shouldn't need to touch anything besides the oil on these cars for at least 3 years. My husband KNOWS that, so whomever it was that said he needed to turn in his "man card" can roll over. Granted he was much more polite to them than I would have been...

And yes, this is an actual Honda dealership. Completely ridiculous.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Angry

That's bs that the dealer would straight up lie I would of told to fuck off

Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
I'll be due soon for my first B1 service which specifies oil change, tire rotation, plus inspection of brakes, suspension, fuel lines, etc. The dealer charges about $180 for this which does seem like quite a money maker for them to do a ten minute inspection. They might shoot some brake cleaner in there too if they are truly thorough and want to inspect the brakes (especially the rears) without the springs and levers covered with dust.

When the time comes for the service, I think I'm going to specify that I want just the oil change plus maybe the rotation (I do my own rotations but it's convenient to have it done if the timing is right). I can't see that the rest of those B1 inspections will affect my warranty, and I can always make the inspections myself.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by charmedimsure
I sent Honda Canada a (strongly worded) message about this.

Realistically, we shouldn't need to touch anything besides the oil on these cars for at least 3 years. My husband KNOWS that, so whomever it was that said he needed to turn in his "man card" can roll over. Granted he was much more polite to them than I would have been...

And yes, this is an actual Honda dealership. Completely ridiculous.
Where are you in Canada? I sure hope this is not my dealership.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Don't EVER let a dealership do what you can do yourself. Easy to take the wheels off and clean the brakes. $4.99 for a can of brake cleaner, less when on sale. Get a new dealership, or better yet, find a good repair shop if you can't do it yourself. In Phoenix, Community Tire is VERY good and honest.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
I'll be due soon for my first B1 service which specifies oil change, tire rotation, plus inspection of brakes, suspension, fuel lines, etc. The dealer charges about $180 for this which does seem like quite a money maker for them to do a ten minute inspection. They might shoot some brake cleaner in there too if they are truly thorough and want to inspect the brakes (especially the rears) without the springs and levers covered with dust.

When the time comes for the service, I think I'm going to specify that I want just the oil change plus maybe the rotation (I do my own rotations but it's convenient to have it done if the timing is right). I can't see that the rest of those B1 inspections will affect my warranty, and I can always make the inspections myself.
Oil changes on the Fit are a 5 minute job. and cheap. Do it yourself

Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by charmedimsure
that's what i said!! Total bullshit.
i like you!!!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
Oil changes on the Fit are a 5 minute job. and cheap. Do it yourself
Factor in cleaning up the mess if anything spills, and the time taken to properly dispose of the waste oil, makes paying for an oil change not such a bad option.

Its all the BS extras that suck.

Quick Reply: $200 brake cleaning?!