2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What if you had $5,000?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
I'd get some not expensive wheels and bits here and there, the rest buy more camera equipment.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:55 AM
I would agree with the majority here and say that you should get used to the AT being slow and NOT attempt to modify for power because it will be good money after bad.

At most some lightish not too expensive wheels in stockish size, nothing bigger… serves cosmetic as well as performance aspect due to lower unsprung weight…

otherwise dont mess with it too much…

Best bet is to trade with someone who wants auto but has a stick and go from there..

Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
G

Texas does have emissions testing in 9 various counties state wide. Which is kinda lame. :/
I certainly would have been hobbled if I happened to live in one of those 9 counties.... I sure don't want any DPS guys looking under my hood... I drove at the exact speed limit and with my exhaust control valve barely cracked open when coming back from Big D last Sunday night.. Cops were all over the place.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I certainly would have been hobbled if I happened to live in one of those 9 counties.... I sure don't want any DPS guys looking under my hood... I drove at the exact speed limit and with my exhaust control valve barely cracked open when coming back from Big D last Sunday night.. Cops were all over the place.
Sadly, some DPS inspectors I've seen don't thoroughly do their job during safety/emissions inspection. Yes, we are legally required to pop hoods and inspect for brake fluid level, cracked belts, and emissions equipment but some just eye ball it for 5 seconds to CTA (cover their arse) and move on with the inspection. Some of which don't even look crawl under to check exhaust or brakes.

Exhaust wise, I think you should be ok though despite running straight pipe so long as you can keep the exhaust noise under 93 decibels. If you were in 1 of those 9 counties, you might be able to get away with a dummy (hollowed) cat and O2 simulators so long as your KWSC didn't kick a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). I've seen straight piped straight piped vehicles and vehicles with useless "high flow cats" in ASM tests somehow pass the sniffer.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
It used to be that all you had to do to pass state inspection was have good brakes, tires, wipers, horn, all lights in working order and the tail pipe exit past the rear most part of the body... Every car in the state had to be inspected on one day in April and when I was in the 5th or 6th grade the charge was $1.00... Cars would be lined up for blocks all over the state and if the car didn't pass, paper work was done that you had paid and you had to return to the inspection station to have the problem fixed... If you were caught driving the paper work might keep you from getting a ticket but not always.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Talking $5k

Originally Posted by B-Blue
I'd get some not expensive wheels and bits here and there, the rest buy more camera equipment.
Better tires,brakes, T2i,24-70L 2.8,or 7D..............

Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Pay towards what I owe on the car and then I'd have cash to make some other changes-perhaps better shocks, tires, set of wheels with snow tires. Oh yeah and install a sun roof

Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Im confused, where in his post did it say his car was auto? Do the 2011 only come in auto if you have the Navi, or are you guys just assuming that because its the wife car its auto?

Auto or not, turbo it. It wont make it stupid fast but it will put some pep in its step. My Fit stock was 85whp after the supercharger i got it up to 120whp. I have taken the car in a different route and is now making just shy of 200whp and next spring hopefully 250whp.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
Do the 2011 only come in auto if you have the Navi,
^ This. 2011 navi means you're buying an auto with it too.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
alright then, kind of stupid though that they do it that way

Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Get a girlfriend with a fast car and use the $5G as a retainer on a good family law attorney.

This is a great thread!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
"What if you had $5,000?"

I do and also have a Fit.

The plan is to leave the 5Gs in the bank and keep
enjoying the Fit in stock form.

When I have the need or desire for more pep I will
purchase the appropriate vehicle.
The RIGHT answer.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
What IFs can drive you crazy...

Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Keep the 5 grand. This is not a hot rod, and you won't be able to make it one. Enjoy it for what it is.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
op- i would just make your fit look nice and just keep the engine stock. even if you bumped 50hp you're still kinda slow vs faster cars out there while losing warranty and all.

the fit does well as it is as a practical daily driver. making it look nice to your liking is probably the farthest i would recommend (lowering and wheel/tire set).

Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
op- i would just make your fit look nice and just keep the engine stock. even if you bumped 50hp you're still kinda slow vs faster cars out there while losing warranty and all.

the fit does well as it is as a practical daily driver. making it look nice to your liking is probably the farthest i would recommend (lowering and wheel/tire set).
This.

That's all I'm doing to my Fit (well some Aero too). The Fit is a good base, I just want to make it unique to me and then I'm done and saving for a real project.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
I have a horsepower bump that is close to 100HP and possibly more. It is possible more than that but untill I get around to paying to have it tested as a way to gain even more power and improve fuel mileage, I am going by dyno runs done by others with the KWSC high boost kit and part and Modifications similar to mine..Except for the loss of fuel mileage being down 6 to 9 mpg There are no issues that can't be solved with better engine mounts, sticky tires. a stronger clutch, and limited slip axles.. I have yet to break anything or need to do any more servicing to the car than I would have if it was still stock,,,I am out some money, sweat and fuel mileage but it isn't anything that would make me want to change it except to improve it in s way that make driving it more fun to drive.... I have a lot of fun even when driving it easily and do nothing that is going to call unwanted attention to myself... Well I will accelerate away from cars that are known to be fast if they a insistent about being shot down.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
Keep the 5 grand. This is not a hot rod, and you won't be able to make it one. Enjoy it for what it is.
You are right. The Fit is not a hot rod but if you are creative, willing to spend money and bust your knuckles pulling wrenches your Fit will kick the ass of cars that are considered hot rods....You can still get decent fuel mileage too.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You are right. The Fit is not a hot rod but if you are creative, willing to spend money and bust your knuckles pulling wrenches your Fit will kick the ass of cars that are considered hot rods....You can still get decent fuel mileage too.
Fit handed a Dodge Hemi pickup their ass the other day.

It was the circumstances on the road & traffic and nothing due to the overwhelming massive power of the Fit that caused the situation.

Afterwards they went roaring by... likely on their way to the gas station
to fill up for the next encounter. I'm good for another 2-weeks gas wise.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 PM
An extra 5K in my pocket and I'm going far away and travel for a few months, without my FIT.

Quick Reply: What if you had $5,000?