2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield on 2012 cracked. Okay to replace with 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Windshield on 2012 cracked. Okay to replace with 2011?

Bummer. It looks like something struck my windshield just between the wiper and the edge and the result is a 10-inch curved crack.

Safelite with be coming tomorrow morning to possibly replace it. They said they don't have any info for the 2012 windshield in their system so the technician will bring a 2011 windshield and compare the two. It's not an OEM windshield but an aftermarket one (supposedly to the same specs).

Is there anything I should know before their tech arrives? Is the 2012 windshield slightly different from the 2011? They have only one type of windshield for the 2011s so I assume that the tint is the same for all models (Base and Sport)?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want Safelite making a poor replacement that I'll regret.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by GGPJON
Dealership should know this. Give em a call?
Thanks for the suggestion. The Dublin Honda parts department said that the two are identical. They also said that the tints for the 2011 and 2012 are the same. I hope they're correct.

I also hope that Safelite's OEM-Equivalent windshield is completely identical to Honda's in safety, quality and performance. The original Safelite rep that I spoke to (after being transferred from my insurance adjustor) said that an OEM windshield would be authorized by my insurance without question because my 2012 Fit is a new model. The only downside was that I would have to wait a week for the part to arrive. I was later contacted by the local Safelite rep who said he "thinks" the 2011 windshield fit. That left me wondering if he was just trying to rush the job.

I'll try to give Honda Customer Service a call in the morning.

I checked previous threads. It looks like the most common issue with Safelite replacing Fit windshields is an occasional failure to re-install the bottom corner moldings. Will be watching out for this.

Anything else I should note?

Last edited by GVlog; 11-02-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Safelites isn't gonna be JDM though...I'm just kidding man let us know how it turns out!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
I unfortunately have bought a couple lately for other cars.
Be sure to look out to the passenger side edge in various backgrounds to look for distortion. I've had the best luck with Pilkington after-market windshields.
Even though the industry has various optical quality control measures I see plenty on the road with low angle distortion that would unacceptable to me.

Car Windshields
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) windshields are created differently than aftermarket ones (aftermarket parts are ones that are sold to replace the original parts of a vehicle). "OEM auto glass standards require 100 percent windshield retention in frontal barrier crash tests, while DOT only requires 80 percent!" [The Truth About OEM Phoenix Auto Glass Parts "Some aftermarket parts do not match the tolerance, thickness, and shape of OEM auto glass parts; therefore, they can have a higher rate of leakage, wind noise, imperfect fit, solar performance, and optical distortion" [same]. Note that glass "from an OEM manufacturer" is not OEM glass, it's just glass from the same company that made the original part (which may have completely different specs). ARG windshields have higher levels of stress, since manufacturers limit the stress allowable in the OEM windshields they contract for (source). Interestingly, many state laws allow the use of aftermarket parts, but define them as being either sheet metal or plastic. That implies that the laws do not apply to windshields (despite the term aftermarket applying to non-OEM windshields in standard usage), making interpretation of the laws more difficult.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Is insurance paying for this? In some states they are obliged to pay for an OEM windshield in the first year. This seems to give a breakdown:

Car Windshields - State-by-State Information

That said, I had mine replaced with an non-OEM windshield and I’m entirely satisfied with it.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 PM
AAA is covering it. My out-of-pocket expense is $100 which is my deductible for comprehensive coverage.

I also checked with a AAA rep. She confirmed that my premiums will not go up for this repair since it's under "comprehensive".

Old 11-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Glass was replaced this morning. Looks like a good job. The Safelite tech was happy to have me watch. He said the Japanese cars are way ahead of the game in making it easy to replace components ... particularly windshields. He had done Fits before and it was obvious he knew that Honda had placed extra sealant at the bottom on the passenger side.

He made an interesting comment that the techs who do chips and minor cracks are a different crew from the ones who do complete windshield replacements.

Honda Customer Service confirmed that the 2011 and 2012 glass specs are the same.

Windshield is from PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works). Tint looks identical although I can't confirm until I get out into the sunlight. I can't drive the car for at least an hour.

Total cost was $493.74. I only paid $100 (my deductible under CSAA).

Parts = $351.94
Labor = $111.00
State sales tax = $30.80

Since Safelite works with CSAA , the latter provides a "lifetime" workmanship and material guarantee along with Safelite's warranty.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 PM
With respect to FIT windshield replacements, I did my own a few weeks ago (2010 Sport). It was a very interesting experience, and not for the average DIYer. First, there are 8 foam/rubber seals that are installed on the inside of the windshield, at very specific locations, plus a couple indexing clips on the top edge. Each seal is unique (matching sides are the same). I highly doubt any windshield co reinstalls these seals. I called a local Honda dealer to get them, and the parts manager said he had NEVER sold them before, and he didn't stock them, but they could order them. He told me they just call their local quickie glass installer to do their windshields for the dealership... I did order them and install them (about $60 bucks for the seals and clips). The seals are installed about 5/8" of inch from the edges of the glass, between tiny locater dots that are visible in the black out ring on the edges of the glass. The sealant is then installed against these foam seals, and the whole windshield is laid on the car, being located by the plastic index clips at the top. There is also a rubber gasket/weatherstripping that is u shaped with an extra flange that is molding taped to the sides and top of the edges of the windshield. I reused mine by cutting a piece of double-sided molding tape down and cleaning/reattaching the old edge weatherstripping. I believe idea of the foam seals is they ensure the windshield will not lay too deep in the sealant (preventing too much squeeze out). All in all it was a interesting experience. I would guess most quickie glass co's just use extra sealant and forgo the foam seals and clips...