2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

205/50R16, 195/55R16, or 185/55R16 for 2009 Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Uh, clearly you didn't do your homework. Maybe you should read the long list of reviews for each tire on Tirerack. The Kuhmos are rated clearly better than the DWSs.

Like I said, I'm getting the Kuhmos.
Actually, if you look at their "tests"... Kumhos are tested against a different group of brands than the Contis. And they rate lower in three out of four categories. In a 1 to 10 rating... the Kumho beats the Conti by 0.19 in dry (7.68 vs 7.49)... but loses by much more in wet, 0.87 6.77 vs 7.63).

As far as TireRack is concerned... those Kumhos are "value" priced UHP A-S tires.

The reviews... has the Kumho at an average of 8.49 (45 reviews), and the Contis at 8.54 (with 1,784 reviews). And for the sheer stupidity of it all... the Contis has 124 reviews giving it 10 vs the 1 for Kumhos (or 6.9% vs 2.2%).

So, uh... where is it better?

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. If I were more money conscious, I might go with Kumho over Conti. But I'm not.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
No. Read the consumer reviews. Many complained of soft sidewalls and lacking in the steering feel dept for the DWS. Not so for the Kuhmos. The lowest score given from the consumers for the DWS was a 7. For the DWS? 2.

You can keep the DWS. Kuhmos float my boat and I'm going Kuhmo all the way.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Kuhmos float my boat and I'm going Kuhmo all the way.

Just remember this though...

There's a reason Audi uses Continentals as an OEM tire on the S5, S6, and S8.

There's a reason BMW uses Continentals as an OEM tire on the 335i and M3.

There's a reason Mercedes uses Continentals as an OEM tire on the C63 AMG and SL65 AMG.

There's a reason Porsche uses Continentals as an OEM tire on the Cayman and Cayman S.

There's a reason Maserati uses Continentals as an OEM tire on the Gran Turismo.

The only car company I believe that uses a Kumho tire as OEM is Hyundai, and they don't even install them on their sportier or upper end models like the Genesis Coupe or Genesis. They come factory installed on the Accent and Santa Fe.

Good luck with the Kumhos. At least they should be better than the crappy OEM Dunlops on the Fit.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
No. Read the consumer reviews. Many complained of soft sidewalls and lacking in the steering feel dept for the DWS. Not so for the Kuhmos.
If you're gonna get nitpicky about steering feel... then you're looking for the wrong tire... go with UHP Summer tires, not A-S.

The lowest score given from the consumers for the DWS was a 7. For the DWS? 2.

You can keep the DWS. Kuhmos float my boat and I'm going Kuhmo all the way.
And yet, the average for the DWS is still higher than the Kumho (after nearly 1800 reviews). This is why people talk about averages, not minimum or maximums. I am assuming you meant that Kumho got a minimum of 7, not DWS.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 PM
You guys with the Continental DWS's, what PSI are you running them at during different times of the year? I had issues running the OEM Dunlops at the recommended 33 PSI, so just wondering what you've found to be optimal.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thric3r
You guys with the Continental DWS's, what PSI are you running them at during different times of the year? I had issues running the OEM Dunlops at the recommended 33 PSI, so just wondering what you've found to be optimal.

Thanks!
how absolutely UNINFORMATIVE... you know, if you're gonna say you have issues... you should say WHAT KIND OF ISSUES.

most of us run the same PSI all year round.

I can see a slight merit in running slightly lower in the winter. Because if you talk about PSI increase from warming up tires, then the tires will get the biggest increase in winter. When they're fully warmed up, they should be about the same temperature in the winter as they are in the summer. it's just they start off colder.

that being said... if you're in the mid 30 range... it doesn't much matter for street cars. plus, the difference is pretty minor.

if you track, well, then you should know more than I do.

Originally Posted by phenoyz
why is it that when i used to own my sport bimmer a couple of yrs back everybody was "bitching" about the stock conti that came w/ the car....and would recommend another tire ....
cause pretty much everyone wants to bitch about stock. usually, stock anything will almost always have an increase when switching to aftermarket... since stock would be the manufacturer's most "cost-effective" part for the job. where the makers think it's the relative minimum for a specific kind of balance... and owners that get aftermarket parts are willing to compromise here or there to get overboard somewhere else. sacrifice lasting life for extra grip. less grip for more comfort... etc.

now, when they bitched about stock contis on the BMW... did those same people want Kumhos? and which model contis were they?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
cause pretty much everyone wants to bitch about stock. usually, stock anything will almost always have an increase when switching to aftermarket... since stock would be the manufacturer's most "cost-effective" part for the job. where the makers think it's the relative minimum for a specific kind of balance... and owners that get aftermarket parts are willing to compromise here or there to get overboard somewhere else. sacrifice lasting life for extra grip. less grip for more comfort... etc.

now, when they bitched about stock contis on the BMW... did those same people want Kumhos? and which model contis were they?
some actually suggested kumhos...forgot the model of the conti...

Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 PM
OEM Dunlops lasted about 38k on my car... not as bad as i feared, but they were a terrible tire (dont need to go into that here... well documented)...

replaced with 205/50 Yokohama YK580s... LOVE these tires, have about 6k on them so far... more stable ride, less road noise despite the wider patch, less drifting, absolute beasts through rain... downside is ive lost about 2-3 mpg, but worth the trade off... if i can get 50k out of them id buy them again in a heartbeat

Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
I have 205/50ZR/16 continental extreme contact dws and love them, just for what its worth from another 09 fit owner.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:23 PM
185/55r16 oe Dunlop

I've got some oe dunlops off my 2012 fit with 10,000 miles on them for sale. I work for a competing tire company and need to switch. I live in the Nashville area and would let them go for 250.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
I'm using BFG Supersports and ride and handling good wet and dry, but tires have a little noise. Did notice though when it snowed that these tires had very poor traction, felt like driving on completely worn out tires(got caught without snow tires on). I'm not sure if I will put same tires back on or try something else definitely better than stock tires. Tread life rating a bit better than Michelin Exaltos.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 AM
General GMax here. Great tire.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
I bought a 2010 Sport last week. The sellers had just replaced the stock Dunlops at 50k miles and put on Kelly Charger GT 205/50R16s. The low profile looks good and they seem to drive nice, but I've got nothing to compare them to. Any thoughts on these tires?